Hair length for post HT illusion of density

HT surgeon always warn patients that a HT is a hair restoration and distribution and its essence is to create an illusion of density which can be better achieved with longer hair as it creates layering effect and shadows. 

I am curious, what's the optimal hair length in the recipient area that everyone has had success with in creating that post HT illusion of density? Thanks! 

• Administrators

I think between 4-5 inches is perfect length. Any shorter or longer can inhibit the “illusion.”

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

In my view shorter hair will always result in a "see through appearence" of some sort especially in high Norwood cases. Howeaver if you leave it longer it should be able to cover it in one way or the other minimizing the scalp visibility significantly. 

@Cro40

There really is an optimal hairline to present an illusion of density for one’s hair transplant. Because ultimately, it depends on a number of other variables that matter just as much.

As a for instance, I’ve seen some individuals that look like they have denser hair when they weren’t short and when they wore it long.  This was simply because their hair caliber was a bit on the thinner side and when worn long, it just appeared a bit more straggly than someone who wore their hair long with a full head of hair.

At the end of the day, I think each hair transplant patient should experiment with different hairstyles and links to see what works best for them.

For me… I know where my hair longer and even up in a man bun which makes my hair appear completely full with absolutely no thinning.  Whereas when I wore my hair short, my hair still looks pretty good but my hair was obviously they’re looking in the crown and above the occipital ridge such as where Norwood class 6 individuals are thinning.

So in reality, it’s all a matter of preference and what you think works best for you.

Best wishes,

Patient Advocate - Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.