Why Low-Dose Dutasteride is Better than Finasteride-Dr. Sergio Vańo

Melvin- Admin

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, A Fue Good Men said:

Great video. I wonder why they prescribe low dose dut on consecutive days rather than spread it out through the week.

Because dutasteride has a long half life. So doing it consecutively has an accumulative effect. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, Big Rome said:

I must be one of the unlucky ones because low dose dut recked me man 🤣🙈

Really, what was your protocol?

View my thread

1 hour ago, Melvin- Admin said:

Really, what was your protocol?

I took 2 a week for 2 months, Monday & Thursday then upped it to 3 weekly (MWF) and by 3 months I had to stop, my eyelids were swollen and really dry & red/irritated 😞 

• Administrators

It was vision issues? 

View my thread

On 12/19/2023 at 10:18 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

Because dutasteride has a long half life. So doing it consecutively has an accumulative effect. 

Is there a chance that you could ask Dr Vano (on a new podcast maybe) how would that excatly compare to spreading out dutasteride adminisration throughout the week ?

• Administrators
15 hours ago, Big Rome said:

my vision itself was fine but my eyelids were a mess and the redness/dryness was getting larger. surgeon advised me to stop and advised it was a rare side of the dut 

Strange, never heard of that side effect. But someone did complain about something similar with the topical version.

View my thread

• Administrators
31 minutes ago, Eli_Avdikian said:

Is there a chance that you could ask Dr Vano (on a new podcast maybe) how would that excatly compare to spreading out dutasteride adminisration throughout the week ?

Im trying to get him on a new podcast to discuss CosmeRNA and Pyrilutamide.

• Like 2

View my thread

If the study below of 249 patients is accurate, very low dosages of finasteride cause the same amount of scalp DHT reduction as the more "normal" recommended dose of 1 mg or 2.5 mg. 

Unless dutasteride works different, his recommended dose of 0.5 mg of dutasteride is going to have the same levels of DHT reduction as 5mg. Even 0.05 mg of Fin lowered scalp DHT by large amounts in the study below. Yes he recommends only taking it 2-3 times per week, but as he mentions Dut has a longer half life than Fin so it doesn't stand to reason that these recommendations would signifigantly lessen the potential for side effects.

The effects of finasteride on scalp skin and serum androgen levels in men with androgenetic alopecia - PubMed (nih.gov)

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

Also, I went looking for his study that he mentioned at the end of the video (Mainly to see how many patients were enrolled). Total number was 307 which is good, but I found the below statement:

"Male patients with androgenetic alopecia that had received OD for at least 12 months were included." 

This is similiar to the quote from Vano's study on low does Minoxidil which reads "Patients treated with LDOM for ≥3 months for hair loss of any cause were included." 

Is this saying that in these studies they only enrolled patients who had already been on LDOD and LDOM  for 12 aand 3 months respectively. 

@Melvin- Adminwe discussed the 2nd quote previously in a thread and I remember you got Dr Vano's response for clarification but tbh I was never satisfied with it (I spent a second looking for that thread to link it but couldn't find it). Dr Vano is out there preaching the message that LDOM and LDOD are safe and effective, but the above quotes make it seem like he's only looking at people who have already been using these drugs for extended periods of time which of course skews the results because anyone who gets adverse effects before then isn't considered. 

Totally possible that I'm misreading what is meant, but I was never satisfied with Dr Vano's answer previously and it would be great to have him clarify what exactly is meant by the two above quotes. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli