Donor Area looks not full

Alex Grey

My donor area after 4 months is getting enough hair but isn’t able to cover all the baldness 

it looks less full  and a lot of skin is visible 

I had a 5500 FUT FUE transplant 

is there a case for over harvesting 

or if it is because I have curly hair 

please provide guidance 

thank you 

96BA7EB4-8DBA-402F-97D4-94E826880C2B.jpeg

A9DF99BA-C7F3-49C8-B1EE-78B1B4B411E9.jpeg

E0EF5FA4-89A4-4426-BE1B-84DD1A242BC7.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

It's really hard to tell from the pics. It could be shock loss. If your donor area had much more density prior to surgery then shock loss is the most likely culprit. What has your surgeon said? I would be guided by him/her. It really takes up to 12 twelve months for everything to heal and bounce back to normal.

• Like 2

• Moderators

It looks like your hair loss was dipping far down the back before the hair transplant.

ScreenShot2023-12-09at7_22_34AM.png.c3686111cf121603fa5b79213c35a00a.png

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

20 hours ago, Gatsby said:

It's really hard to tell from the pics. It could be shock loss. If your donor area had much more density prior to surgery then shock loss is the most likely culprit. What has your surgeon said? I would be guided by him/her. It really takes up to 12 twelve months for everything to heal and bounce back to normal.

The surgeon isn’t in contact for this conversation 

as soon I get the information from my surgeon, would update it here 

I’m hoping it to be shock loss not a case of over harvest 

12 hours ago, BeHappy said:

It looks like your hair loss was dipping far down the back before the hair transplant.

ScreenShot2023-12-09at7_22_34AM.png.c3686111cf121603fa5b79213c35a00a.png

That is correct 

made a mistake of not having my transplant earlier 

Things like Covid and other things such as job and financial issues had me pending 

guess it’s done when it’s written 

• Valued Contributor
52 minutes ago, Alex Grey said:

If you only had FUT it won’t be over harvested. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 6:05 AM, Alex Grey said:

Spoke to him about donor area in person

he was vague about it 

said if the hair was already thin there and taking out even few grafts would make it look less thinner 

said will have to see if there was a shock loss 

On 12/10/2023 at 8:46 AM, general-etwan said:

You had a low dipping region beforehand, and they took many grafts from the area during the HT. This is simply the result. Yes, it is significantly thinned and will remain so now.

They told me at the time of surgery that I may have about 600-700 reserve grafts from donor and 600-700 grafts from beard for future use 

is it possible or were they just telling me just like that 

I think the only thing I can do now about it is to get a scalp micro pigment done there and hope that the finasteride may make it thicker or dutasteride when I go on it 

5 hours ago, Alex Grey said:

They told me at the time of surgery that I may have about 600-700 reserve grafts from donor and 600-700 grafts from beard for future use 

is it possible or were they just telling me just like that 

I think the only thing I can do now about it is to get a scalp micro pigment done there and hope that the finasteride may make it thicker or dutasteride when I go on it 

I find these numbers to be so subjective; there is no objective fact to them. How many grafts someone has “left” is just a matter of opinion, really, depending on the goal and how much thinning someone is willing to accept. Just keep an eye on the situation for now and continue to evaluate options. 

• Administrators

How long ago was surgery? It’s hard to judge when before its short and after it’s long.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 12/23/2023 at 11:38 AM, general-etwan said:

I find these numbers to be so subjective; there is no objective fact to them. How many grafts someone has “left” is just a matter of opinion, really, depending on the goal and how much thinning someone is willing to accept. Just keep an eye on the situation for now and continue to evaluate options. 

I’m keeping an eye on the donor area

it seems full sometimes 

perhaps because of my curly hair 

but then the overall look from far away still makes my crown look a lot thin 

I’ll upload the recent picture for donor 

23ED56E7-2204-4633-B4DE-1710F4F35BD9.jpeg

1575B8C1-D38B-48E7-ADE3-4CDDD63A3642.jpeg

On 12/23/2023 at 8:59 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

How long ago was surgery? It’s hard to judge when before its short and after it’s long.

5th month would be completed now

27july had my transplant 

also if you can comment on something —

I do not get any or hardly any hairfall from the donor region while moving my hand in there 

but the moment I touch my transplanted area for either topical 5% minoxidil or just some coconut oil for anti dryness 

I get quite an amount of hairfall on my fingers 

this is only and only when touching the transplanted region for minoxidil or shampooing 

Talked about it to doctors 

they said they can’t say anything and just to wait 

they might grow back 

but it’s really concerning me

27A36E30-C8DB-43AC-B244-75A44F008CD1.jpeg

7C1EE4F3-A17C-4D7B-B3CE-A34598C64C32.jpeg

8BFF924F-A3BF-4BC0-A92C-BFD389F7B911.jpeg

BD3A946F-D3A7-44F2-BA5D-B653C59E8BCD.jpeg

C5065977-D3C1-4CD6-849E-F9A0C1FA21E3.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On 12/25/2023 at 5:04 PM, Alex Grey said:

I do not get any or hardly any hairfall from the donor region while moving my hand in there 

but the moment I touch my transplanted area for either topical 5% minoxidil or just some coconut oil for anti dryness 

I get quite an amount of hairfall on my fingers 

this is only and only when touching the transplanted region for minoxidil or shampooing

How long have you been using minoxidil? Could you be having a minoxidil shed? If you were using it before the HT and stopped for a while to have the HT and then started up again a few months later, that could be it.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

In my opinion, the initial error your doctor made was agreeing to perform the procedure on you, given your status as a high Norwood patient with limited donor hair. However, if the doctor did communicate in advance about managing your expectations regarding the results, then that aspect is acceptable.

It's common for both native and transplanted hairs to shed, with around 80-100 hairs falling out daily being considered normal due to natural hair cycles. However, if the shedding exceeds this range, it could be a cause for concern and you should than take some precautionary measures.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

17 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

It's common for both native and transplanted hairs to shed, with around 80-100 hairs falling out daily being considered normal due to natural hair cycles. However, if the shedding exceeds this range, it could be a cause for concern and you should than take some precautionary measures.

Wow that’s a lot of hair to lose naturally per day. I never knew. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 10:07 PM, bigmistake said:

Can you share the clinic name in the DMs. I also had a failed HT in india where the surgeon cheated me. 

I’m on month 7 and my hair are still growing here and there 

i cannot exactly tell if it is failed yet or not—or if I have been cheated

im yet to take my first PRP next week and I have switched to oral minoxidil lately as a slow dosage for starters i.e. 1.25 alternative days 

so I am keeping patience and hoping that oral minoxidil combined with PRP will provide better results 

27917908-7283-4F8D-993D-119BFCE45276.jpeg

F94A4C82-3924-4884-8FAE-53A97A90590D.jpeg

AB51614F-72F0-481B-9C1F-C5465648C1C1.jpeg

6AE8A6DD-781D-4783-83B2-B5FFD946CB58.jpeg

Edited by Alex Grey
Month

On 2/8/2024 at 10:13 PM, Al - formerly BeHappy said:

How long have you been using minoxidil? Could you be having a minoxidil shed? If you were using it before the HT and stopped for a while to have the HT and then started up again a few months later, that could be it.

It was probably topical minoxidil that causing the reaction.

it may have been delayed shedding but I think topical minoxidil was the culprit.

it was also causing me a lot of irritation with itching and severe dandruff 

I had to fight my clinic to stop as they aren’t very supportive of oral minoxidil 

nevertheless 

I have stopped topical minoxidil and switched to oral and my hair shedding is low now . It’s still there but much lower 

I haven’t gone in full dosage yet but starting it slowly 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 9:01 PM, Lenzman said:

Wow that’s a lot of hair to lose naturally per day. I never knew. 

Yes it is common 

searched both on internet and personally with doctors too