What hormones should I have tested at a minimum before starting a DHT blocker or anti-androgen?

TheDarkHour

I'm on the verge of deciding between finasteride or RU, but I'd like to establish my baseline hormone levels before starting either treatment. Some recommendations suggest testing around 20 hormones to determine baseline levels, but this could be quite costly, especially if I plan to retest later to assess the impact of finasteride or RU. Additionally, being in the UK, it seems that only testosterone testing is available through the NHS.

I've found a package from Medichecks that covers testosterone, free testosterone, estradiol, and DHT for approximately £200. Would this be sufficient, or should I consider testing other hormones as well?

• Administrators

Check your DHT, testosterone and estrogen. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I had my testosterone and DHT tested before planning to start Fin. 

I had T in the normal range but found out my DHT is actually below the normal range. I then managed to talk my way into meeting an Endocrinologist via Bupa ( I have health insurance) and he again tested DHT amongst others and again same below normal range. 

I am so thankful I tested before starting Fin and decided against it

52 minutes ago, Loso86 said:

I had my testosterone and DHT tested before planning to start Fin. 

I had T in the normal range but found out my DHT is actually below the normal range. I then managed to talk my way into meeting an Endocrinologist via Bupa ( I have health insurance) and he again tested DHT amongst others and again same below normal range. 

I am so thankful I tested before starting Fin and decided against it

Do you take anything for your hair?

On 11/14/2023 at 10:10 PM, TheDarkHour said:

Since estrogen consists of estrone, estradiol, and estriol, would testing just the main hormone, estradiol be suffucient?

Yes. Estradiol is the absolute most potent/active of the three. Get the 'sensitive' test version if you can. If you cannot get a sensitive e2 / estradiol test, try and test all 3 if you can. Often, estrone gives a higher (and thus false) reading on estradiol tests.

Edited by Chrisno

2500 FUE by Dr. Victor Hasson, June 2023

On 11/12/2023 at 12:51 PM, TheDarkHour said:

I'm on the verge of deciding between finasteride or RU, but I'd like to establish my baseline hormone levels before starting either treatment. Some recommendations suggest testing around 20 hormones to determine baseline levels, but this could be quite costly, especially if I plan to retest later to assess the impact of finasteride or RU. Additionally, being in the UK, it seems that only testosterone testing is available through the NHS.

I've found a package from Medichecks that covers testosterone, free testosterone, estradiol, and DHT for approximately £200. Would this be sufficient, or should I consider testing other hormones as well?

It should be sufficient to get a decent baseline of where you stand you should definitely do it its worth it in the long run knowing where your levels were before you start inhibiting one of the most androgenic hormones in the body. Go with sensitive e2 test if you are given the choice. If you could also include prolactin in there it would be a bonus. 

Edited by RecycleBin
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 2:38 PM, Loso86 said:

I was on topical Minoxidil for 2 years but didn't notice much change, even when coming off it. But nothing else

I wish I would have tested my hormones prior to getting on meds like you did.  Are you losing hair? I only ask because if your DHT is low and Min didn't do much for you, then wondering how aggressive your hair loss is (if at all).

4 minutes ago, jim1973 said:

I wish I would have tested my hormones prior to getting on meds like you did.  Are you losing hair? I only ask because if your DHT is low and Min didn't do much for you, then wondering how aggressive your hair loss is (if at all).

Yes, i posted pics in my thread asking for advice. You can see there. Mainly the crown

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Loso86 said:

Yes, i posted pics in my thread asking for advice. You can see there. Mainly the crown

Ah, okay sorry I missed the pics.  I am prob similar to you.  I've actually been taking the meds and my DHT is extremely low but I'm still losing ground.  I'm still fighting the good fight while looking for alternative solutions outside of just DHT.  Looking forward to hear any new protocols you feel work for you.  

Just now, jim1973 said:

Ah, okay sorry I missed the pics.  I am prob similar to you.  I've actually been taking the meds and my DHT is extremely low but I'm still losing ground.  I'm still fighting the good fight while looking for alternative solutions outside of just DHT.  Looking forward to hear any new protocols you feel work for you.  

I’m weighing up getting on finasteride (currently speaking to an endocrinologist about the risk) but what’s the point. also planning a hair transplant. 

8 minutes ago, Loso86 said:

I’m weighing up getting on finasteride (currently speaking to an endocrinologist about the risk) but what’s the point. also planning a hair transplant. 

Good idea.  I had a hair transplant scheduled but cancelled due to not being able to stabilize existing hair loss (even though for last 9 months, I'm on .5mg oral Dutasteride daily and 5mg oral Minoxidil daily.  No point in getting a HT if I can't stabilize my existing loss, otherwise, I'll just keep losing ground and hair behind HT will just fall out.  Hoping something will work for me soon.

2 hours ago, jim1973 said:

Good idea.  I had a hair transplant scheduled but cancelled due to not being able to stabilize existing hair loss (even though for last 9 months, I'm on .5mg oral Dutasteride daily and 5mg oral Minoxidil daily.  No point in getting a HT if I can't stabilize my existing loss, otherwise, I'll just keep losing ground and hair behind HT will just fall out.  Hoping something will work for me soon.

Beisides Pyrilutamide and GT20029, I don't think there's any upcoming treatments in the near future. I guess you could experiment with RU58441. There's also Verteporfin which is being experiemented with to regenerate donor hair.

Edited by TheDarkHour