am i a candidate ?... check out the pic

MY FIRST POST! ok i was wondering if you guys think i am a good candidate for a ht. I am 20 years old, i've noticed that young people are usually turned away, but im growing a super crazy takeover receeding hairline...dr. epstein has an office in my area and I was thinking of a consulation, but i dont want to waste his or my time.

PICT0007.JPG.2dfb00f36936a78d95933fc82dd6f649.JPG

MY FIRST POST! ok i was wondering if you guys think i am a good candidate for a ht. I am 20 years old, i've noticed that young people are usually turned away, but im growing a super crazy takeover receeding hairline...dr. epstein has an office in my area and I was thinking of a consulation, but i dont want to waste his or my time.

Being 20 it appears to me you may need one. Before I would get one I would get some more feedback from others. Also, read this form before picking out your Dr. Sometimes it is a lot better to travel to one at a distance than it is to get one in your own back yard. Granted the Dr. you may be seeing may be excellent. Ask to talk to some of his clients and get feedback from others on this site who may of had good opr bad experiences with this Doc.

hey skin,

first off, whata is that cord hanging from your ceiling?

second, get on Proscar immediatley!!

--- Now stop panicing!!-------

Look at your grand fathers and your uncles and dad's. Get an idea of where they are at with loss. Hate to say it, but at your age pic. the worst one. You maybe heading that direction.

After you figure that out, you will be able to choose wisely on what doc to pic. If they are mildly recessed, then you are in exellant shape, (NW1-NW3). If above that, (NW4-NW6), there is still hope. Again Proscar, NOW!

You would be a good candidate, but really need to know a little history to help you possibley steer in the right direction.

Thanks for posting a photo, that does help to access a lot!

That sucks, but I feel for ya, I was almost exactly there at 20. Get on Finasteride (Proscar or Propecia) and Minoxidil IMMEDIATELY and DO NOT do what I did and stop. KEEP WITH IT> Ive heard many many many good things about Dr. Epstien. Dr. Glenn Charles is also not far away. Good luck , buddy

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I started losing my hair at 14. The guys in my family lose it quick. I started Minoxidil at 16. This guy is only 20. When I was 26 I had more hair than he does.

It may be kind of late for the front, but you will want to start on Minoxidil and Propecia to save your crown. It will definitely slow down the rate of loss.

Im thinking to at least consult with the respected Doc in your area, (Doc Epstien and Doc Charles in Boca Raton). Im thinking that, yeah, even though youre young, to bolster that hairline with a modest HT and maintain the drugs, you can set yourself up to beat this thing before it gets out of control. Also, look at the bright side like this: Im not trying to get your hopes up (like mine are) but they say that hair multiplication may be a viable option in ten years. Youll only be 30 (and Ill only be 35!) so there may be a light at the end of the tunnel there too. Go see the Docs though, the worst that can happen is that they turn you away for your own good.

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I think that a hair transplant would be a very viable option for you. Generally, I would suggest that a prospective patient take meds for a year before they decide, but the truth is that it is very unlikely that Propecia will assist in significant regrowth; however, it will very likely slow down the rate of your hairloss (if not stop it in its tracks completely). The one thing that hair transplant requires is a commitment to taking medication --namely Propecia. Are you prepared to take it every day for the next 10 years (or perhaps even longer)?

I was 23 when I had my first procedure, (and I am now 26), but my hairloss wasn't as severe as yours already is. One mistake I made was having the procedure without having been on Propecia (as it helps to mitigate "shock-loss"). As a result of undergoing surgery (without the assistance of meds), I had a significant net loss of hair (which really, really sucked).

I don't think that it would really affect you the way that it affected me; that is, your receding hairline is already visible where mine was able to be somewhat concealed. You may have shock loss as well, but at least you'll get your hairline back -- my hairline receded even further as a result of the first surgery; however, if you don't have a particularly dense donor area, it may be wise to wait until the Propecia kicks in.

I do not think that you are too young. If you believe that you need it then you should get it. Make sure that you go to someone who will leave you with a very fine scar, and perhaps most importantly (for a young man) that the surgeon is an absolute MASTER in dense packing. If you decide to go ahead with surgery you will want to get it over with a.s.a.p.; in other words, 2 surgeries or less so that you can get on with your life. icon_cool.gif

"... i spread it out as much as possible"

Correct me if Im wrong, but I dont think ANYONE on this forum hasnt done that a million times.

Skins, I wish you all the luck in the world bro, believe me when I say that I know EXACTLY what youre going through to look in the mirror at 20 and see scalp looking back. You have something that I didnt 5 years in advance, though: this forum and all the wealth of information that is available from these guys. Read, read, read. Get on Proscar or Propecia and Minoxidil as sonn as possible and STAY ON THEM. You have to know that its going to be a big committment from you to overcome this. Lots of luck.

"Get on Proscar or Propecia and Minoxidil as sonn as possible and STAY ON THEM. You have to know that its going to be a big committment from you to overcome this. Lots of luck."

I couldn't agree more. I'm 21 and I had a hair transplant last year with Dr. Ziering. (When I was 20). I started loosing my hair when I was 17. I have had very successful results with a hair transplant and it has made a huge difference in my social life and self confidence. However, I will tell you that Minoxodil is a big pain in the A$$. Applying twice a day and waiting 20-25 mins to dry really sucks. However, studies show that minoxodil has benefitted younger people more than it has benefitted older people. I have had a HUGE sucess rate with minoxodil. i have kept my existing hair on the top of my head and I grew back a lot on my crown as well. I am taking propecia also which is simple cuz its just a pill. You are NOT too young to get a HT. I hate to know that you have to go through what I am going through. Just know that you can fight this battle. If it really bothers you, I'd get a hair tranpslant. However, make sure you can stabalize your hair loss first. I would recommend taking minoxodil and propecia for a while before you get a HT and see if they stop or slow your hair loss. If they do, go ahead and get on. You're only young once and I feel you have the right to enjoying a youthful appearance while you were young. I'm actively trying to help people who are young and loosing their hair because I know exactly what kind of blow it is to a person. I'm happy to answer any questions.

Before I go, I must state this..if you ever start on minoxodil/propecia, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER stop them

Whatever you do, take that to heart. DONT EVER STOP. I got on Minox and Propecia at 20. I took it for about a year with great success. Because of that, and being uninformed, I stopped taking both and my hair loss came back with a vengeance. I would have almost a full head of hair (at least at the crown and top) if I had never stopped taking it. Its great stuff for maintaining what you have up top and possibly growing, but its definitely a catch-22. If the minox 5% is too greasy to deal with in the morning, just get 2% in the morning and use the 5% before bed. In my humble opinion, that 3% youre lacking in the morning is negligable as long as youre diligent in the treatment.

Skins

Please be careful and give the meds a decent shot

I dont beleive you are a good candidate for a HT yet .HT procedures are advancing all the time plus i feel you are too young.

The meds should give you a good response plus i think a buzz cut would do you wonders

Good luck

Skins,

THe first post looked like a canidate, but looking at how you style your hair-- I would try and wait until your mid 20's if possible. Get on propecia once a day, xtra strength rogain twice a day, and MSM 3,000 mg a day to stop the hairloss /or slow it down. Also look into using TOppiks to give you a "thicker" look after blow drying your hair. I think you can wait a few more years and be better off down the line. Best of luck.