So Cal Hair restoration doctors

Hi all

I am 39 years old and have significant hair loss. I was told that I have significant thinning on my side donors. 

I have been told to consider FUT bc of the thinning in the side donor areas.  I am only able to tolerate a 0.5 ml of topical finasteride 0.25% a day with 10 mg of oral minoxidil. Going to try xyon next.

I'm mostly worried about the front portion and worried that the procedure will not work long term and that I would have to shave the head and be left with a scar. 

I have been recommended to go to Dr. Ziering himself from 2 dermatologists and friends of friends. Cost is around $7 a graft. 

What are peoples thoughts on Dr. Ziering (not his clinic but his work himself)?

Do you think I will have a good result?

IMG-0369.thumb.jpg.44c12d19550231c74f3b15cb29ef2894.jpgIMG-0368.thumb.jpg.85711534684bb3efa1a8c25879e3c89c.jpgIMG-0367.thumb.jpg.a514cc2d870fbd5075423d29d0f5d19f.jpgHi allIMG-0366.thumb.jpg.cb5d02822dbde050202c55a2132630c0.jpg

• Wow 1

• Administrators

I would avoid that doctor. Check out Dr. Mohebi and Dr. Carman. They're both great options. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, gary123 said:

Do you guys mind elaborating why you would not recommend him?

He is the name that keeps getting recommended to us - 2 dermatologists and friends of friends of all recommended him.

He operates a chain where he most likely isn’t involved. Unless you’re Tyga or Tory Lanez. He also promotes the robot, which isn’t very good. There’s better options. 

@gillenator can speak more about him since he worked at MHR with him.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Ziering medical is as bad as bosley and any other chain clinic operating for quantity and not quality. With the money you will need to spent for this clinic if you do your research you can easily afford a doctor with proven track record and consistency of good results. The guy in the video spend around 30k for 3000 grafts to get this bad result from Ziering:

Edited by jjalay
  • Wow 1
  • Face Palm 1

As Melvin mentioned, I used to work at MHR and was the personal consultant for the surgeon in Atlanta whose name rhymes with mole…Dr. Craig Ziering however was the doctor in NY and was also one of the Medical Directors for Dr. Matt Levitt at MHR…many of MHR’s doctors were licensed in multiple states and Dr. Ziering performed many procedures from time-to-time in my clinic in Chevy Chase, Maryland…in my honest opinion, his work was some of the worst that I have seen including horrific strip scarring, terrible hairline work involving mis-angled grafts, and poor yields…please understand this is nothing personal, just my opinion based on my observations of his work.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

2 hours ago, jjalay said:

Ziering medical is as bad as bosley and any other chain clinic operating for quantity and not quality. With the money you will need to spent for this clinic if you do your research you can easily afford a doctor with proven track record and consistency of good results. The guy in the video spend around 30k for 3000 grafts to get this bad result from Ziering:

This does not surprise me in the least bit.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

No disrespect to dermatologists but the vast majority of them so next to NOTHING about what makes a good hair transplant. They could refer someone to them after randomly meeting them at a conference for all you know.

Mohebi and Carman have a great track record and you should consult with both of them. However I wouldn't limit yourself to one location 

As a general rule, I believe you should consult with at least 5 top surgeons before making a decision. This is not just about options, but it also informs you of a range of perspectives that you may not have considered when moving forward.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 11:00 PM, gary123 said:

Hi all

I am 39 years old and have significant hair loss. I was told that I have significant thinning on my side donors. 

I have been told to consider FUT bc of the thinning in the side donor areas.  I am only able to tolerate a 0.5 ml of topical finasteride 0.25% a day with 10 mg of oral minoxidil. Going to try xyon next.

I'm mostly worried about the front portion and worried that the procedure will not work long term and that I would have to shave the head and be left with a scar. 

I have been recommended to go to Dr. Ziering himself from 2 dermatologists and friends of friends. Cost is around $7 a graft. 

What are peoples thoughts on Dr. Ziering (not his clinic but his work himself)?

Do you think I will have a good result?

IMG-0369.thumb.jpg.44c12d19550231c74f3b15cb29ef2894.jpgIMG-0368.thumb.jpg.85711534684bb3efa1a8c25879e3c89c.jpgIMG-0367.thumb.jpg.a514cc2d870fbd5075423d29d0f5d19f.jpgHi allIMG-0366.thumb.jpg.cb5d02822dbde050202c55a2132630c0.jpg

I will also prefer not choose because he is not trustworthy. Ever wish for a genie to handle your assignments? do my paper grants your academic wishes with professional writers. This https://domypaper.com/ website experience the magic of stress-free studies exceeded my expectations with their prompt delivery and precision. The writer paid attention to every detail of my requirements, producing a flawless paper that showcased their expertise. I'm genuinely impressed and will definitely use their services again. 

Any update?

I also was wondering if Gary was able to find a good option, NOT Ziering.

Gillenator

Thanks so much following up. I was about to book with Ziering before you guys messaged me.  I have a consult with dr Mohebi scheduled for January 2024.

I’m also trying to xyon topical finasteride based on recs from here. get sexual and urinary side effects if I take it daily but tolerable if I take it every other day. Any tricks on how to take the full dose and minimize the side effects. Also on minoxidil 10 mg orally. 

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, gary123 said:

Hi all - what is a fair price for a top surgeon?

I am being quoted $12 a graft with Dr. Mohebi and wondering if that is fair. 

Consult with Dr Nadimi from Chicago Hair Institute. She charges $10 per FUE graft. But also offer FUT in case you want to go that route. I like her results better and seems like it will be cheaper than Dr Mohebi. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, gary123 said:

Any other thoughts on the price of $12 per graft with Dr. Mohebi? I'd prefer not to travel outside of LA for convenience with work and kids.

@gillenator  @Melvin- Admin

It’s Los Angeles, I say the same thing to patients who want a doctor in Manhattan. The cost is relative to the clinics overhead.  If you want something more affordable you’ll have to leave California, just like real estate. The price is fair by the local market standards. 

In general, it costs $8-12 per graft in the US. There are some affordable options in Mexico if you don’t mind traveling. 

• Like 2

View my thread

Thanks you for your input. 

@Melvin- Admin

@gillenator

@BurnieBurns @DerekWhite

Do you guys have any experience with Dr. Marc Dauer in Los Angeles? He seems more reasonably priced (1800-2000 grafts for 17k). 

I'm also open to  travel and go to Mexico or other places if needed if substantially cheaper and good quality - anyone in specific recommended? I see Dr. Espinosa Custudio from Mexico City listed on the site, but don't see any patient reviews on him. 

I met with Dr. Mohebi and seems pricey ($12 a graft) and spoke with Dr. Carman's office, but they don't do FUE cases that require more than 500 grafts and are recommending FUT

Gary my friend…what Melvin stated is true…Honestly, I don’t know how any doctor/clinic could charge less than $12 per graft for “FUE” in the state of California, especially in SoCal like Los Angeles…the same could be said for NYC and especially Long Island because of the extreme high cost of operating expenses especially the business taxes.

Can you find high quality FUE for less than $12 per graft?…yes, but you would need to travel to places outside of California.

• Like 3

Gillenator

• Administrators
15 hours ago, gary123 said:

@Melvin- Admin

@gillenator

@BurnieBurns @DerekWhite

Do you guys have any experience with Dr. Marc Dauer in Los Angeles? He seems more reasonably priced (1800-2000 grafts for 17k). 

I'm also open to  travel and go to Mexico or other places if needed if substantially cheaper and good quality - anyone in specific recommended? I see Dr. Espinosa Custudio from Mexico City listed on the site, but don't see any patient reviews on him. 

I met with Dr. Mohebi and seems pricey ($12 a graft) and spoke with Dr. Carman's office, but they don't do FUE cases that require more than 500 grafts and are recommending FUT

Dr. Custodio is a solid choice. Dr. Nader as well. Dr. Gabel in Portland may be more reasonably priced. But I think he’s at least $8 per graft, possibly a little more. 

Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about the doctor you mentioned. I don’t think looking for a cheaper option in LA is wise, if it’s cheap there must be some cost-cutting.

A good clinic is gonna be expensive because they have a solid team of technicians that are paid enough to live in Los Angeles, which we both know is VERY expensive.

• Like 1

View my thread

On 11/30/2023 at 6:25 AM, gary123 said:

Thanks so much following up. I was about to book with Ziering before you guys messaged me.  I have a consult with dr Mohebi scheduled for January 2024.

I’m also trying to xyon topical finasteride based on recs from here. get sexual and urinary side effects if I take it daily but tolerable if I take it every other day. Any tricks on how to take the full dose and minimize the side effects. Also on minoxidil 10 mg orally. 

Dr Ziering did one of my FUTs, and while it wasn't the worst case scenario it certainly isn't the best either. That was before coming here over a decade ago and learning he most definitely wasn't the greatest choice. 

It's good you're here first and finding out who are the better Dr's are. It's always worth travelling to get the right one! 

Edited by Britanium
  • Like 1

If you find FUE prices under $12 per graft in SoCal, it’s almost always attributed to the doctor/clinic utilizing inexperienced techs because those techs subcontract their services at much cheaper rates than experienced proven techs…they work on a self-employed itinerant basis and travel extensively…So, ask yourself, “Is it worth the risk of having higher transection rates from poor extractions and/or inexperienced techs placing your grafts?”

• Like 2

Gillenator

On 2/8/2024 at 12:48 PM, gary123 said:

@Melvin- Admin

@gillenator

@BurnieBurns @DerekWhite

Marc Dauer I believe is regarded as one of the best in the world for eyebrow restoration but I haven't seen any of his head hair work. I'd presume he would be similar to Dr Mohebi in price.

If cost is a barrier for you then I'd agree with the others, definitely look outside California. The names Melvin mentioned would be promising.

Most here would also stress that if you're in any position to pay more, even after saving up for a while, the last thing you would want to skimp on is a hair transplant. It is a genuine surgery and will  affect you lifelong

Edited by BurnieBurns
  • Like 1