Is there any truth to this? Finasteride efficacy over time....

Is there any truth to this?

Und the FAQ "Is the Dose of Finasteride the Same for Everyone?" .... they write "That said, after 5 years or so, finasteride seems to be less effective and doctors often increase the dose a bit. The next step-up is generally to take 1/3 of a 5mg pill each day."

https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/medical-treatment/answers/ 

Finasteride dosage.JPG

• Moderators

It only worked for me for a few years. After that my hair started falling out again. Was it actually still working by slowing down my loss more than it would have been? Maybe, but when your hair is still falling out even when taking finasteride, it's no longer doing what you need it to do, which is increase your hair or at the very least maintain it, so if it's not doing that, then I think that can be considered not working. I stopped taking it because I felt there was no point to it.

My opinion is the more aggressive your natural hair loss is then the more likely it is that finasteride is going to lose effectiveness over time. Some people upgrade to dutasteride after a few years on finasteride.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

2 hours ago, BeHappy said:

It only worked for me for a few years. After that my hair started falling out again. Was it actually still working by slowing down my loss more than it would have been? Maybe, but when your hair is still falling out even when taking finasteride, it's no longer doing what you need it to do, which is increase your hair or at the very least maintain it, so if it's not doing that, then I think that can be considered not working. I stopped taking it because I felt there was no point to it.

My opinion is the more aggressive your natural hair loss is then the more likely it is that finasteride is going to lose effectiveness over time. Some people upgrade to dutasteride after a few years on finasteride.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Just keep in mind that your increased sensitivity to DHT might not have been solely because of finasteride. It's possible that your genes became more active over time, which made it harder for finasteride to completely stop the issue.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, alexmillne said:

your increased sensitivity to DHT might not have been solely because of finasteride.

I don't think it was that at all.

2 hours ago, alexmillne said:

It's possible that your genes became more active over time, which made it harder for finasteride to completely stop the issue.

Exactly.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I know people that have been taking finasteride for over 20 years and has kept them stable, I think Dr Jose Lorenzo has been using it since he was 30 and NW4, now he is 50+ and his hairloss hasnt progressed, has had hair transplants in the meantime.

• Administrators

DHT has an accumulative effect. Finasteride does not entirely eliminate DHT. Thus, DHT will continue to erode your hair slowly over a period of time, especially if you’re highly sensitive, i.e., Norwood 6/7. Just like minoxidil, it doesn’t mean it loses efficacy. It just means that hair loss will continue at a slower rate because the drugs don’t stop or cure hair loss entirely for those who are very sensitive to the effects of DHT. 

See study below:

https://www.oatext.com/Long-term-(10-year)-efficacy-of-finasteride-in-523-Japanese-men-with-androgenetic-alopecia.php

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

DHT has an accumulative effect. Finasteride does not entirely eliminate DHT. Thus, DHT will continue to erode your hair slowly over a period of time, especially if you’re highly sensitive, i.e., Norwood 6/7. Just like minoxidil, it doesn’t mean it loses efficacy. It just means that hair loss will continue at a slower rate because the drugs don’t stop or cure hair loss entirely for those who are very sensitive to the effects of DHT. 

See study below:

https://www.oatext.com/Long-term-(10-year)-efficacy-of-finasteride-in-523-Japanese-men-with-androgenetic-alopecia.php

Thanks for the clarification. Going to copy and paste what you wrote in my notes! 

@alexmillne,

I have also heard that the efficacy of finasteride potency decreases overtime. And as it decreases, it’s normal for doctors to increase dosage. Whether or not it’s considered normal to take 1/3 of a 5 mg pill every day is debatable as I believe it likely varies from clinic to clinic depending what the doctor thinks based on the individuals particular case.

now, do you take finasteride or are you considering it? If you are still in the process of losing hair especially if it’s aggressive, it’s probably good idea to consider using finasteride. Of course, I do strongly suggest you speak to a doctor before you do in order to learn about the advantages, disadvantages and potential side effects.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

7 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@alexmillne,

I have also heard that the efficacy of finasteride potency decreases overtime. And as it decreases, it’s normal for doctors to increase dosage. Whether or not it’s considered normal to take 1/3 of a 5 mg pill every day is debatable as I believe it likely varies from clinic to clinic depending what the doctor thinks based on the individuals particular case.

now, do you take finasteride or are you considering it? If you are still in the process of losing hair especially if it’s aggressive, it’s probably good idea to consider using finasteride. Of course, I do strongly suggest you speak to a doctor before you do in order to learn about the advantages, disadvantages and potential side effects.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Dear Dr. Rahal,

Thanks for responding! I am currently 37 years old and have been dealing with a receding hairline since my teenage years. The progression has been remarkably gradual; I maintained a Norwood 2 pattern from my early 20s until my early 30s. However, I now classify myself as a Norwood 2/3. Starting at the age of 35, I have been consistently taking Finasteride at a daily dosage of 1.25mg.

While I have not noticed any significant changes in terms of new hair growth, I believe that Finasteride has contributed to stabilizing my hair loss to a certain degree. Recently, I underwent a successful hair transplant procedure conducted by Dr. Turan, primarily focusing on my hairline and temples. During the procedure, Dr. Turan noted signs of miniaturization on my scalp, emphasizing the importance of continuing Finasteride indefinitely.

Subsequently, I have contemplated introducing Minoxidil into my hair care regimen, despite my previous reluctance due to its daily application requirement (I prefer not to use oral-Minoxidil.). However, I still have several questions and concerns about topical Minoxidil, especially given the contradictory information I have encountered online. Here are my specific queries:

If I start using Minoxidil in 2023, see good results by 2026, but then stop for any reason (like cost or greasiness), will my hair go back to how it would have been if I never used Minoxidil in 2023 or 2026? - or even WORSE?

If I start and stop Minoxidil on and off, could this cause more permanent hair loss than if I never used it?

Given my recent hair transplant, if I start Minoxidil four weeks post-surgery, is there a risk that the transplanted hairs could become dependent on it, and I might lose them if I stop Minoxidil after a year?

I deeply appreciate your expertise and guidance on these matters. Your insights are invaluable to me, and I am grateful for your assistance.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, alexmillne said:

Dear Dr. Rahal,

Thanks for responding! I am currently 37 years old and have been dealing with a receding hairline since my teenage years. The progression has been remarkably gradual; I maintained a Norwood 2 pattern from my early 20s until my early 30s. However, I now classify myself as a Norwood 2/3. Starting at the age of 35, I have been consistently taking Finasteride at a daily dosage of 1.25mg.

While I have not noticed any significant changes in terms of new hair growth, I believe that Finasteride has contributed to stabilizing my hair loss to a certain degree. Recently, I underwent a successful hair transplant procedure conducted by Dr. Turan, primarily focusing on my hairline and temples. During the procedure, Dr. Turan noted signs of miniaturization on my scalp, emphasizing the importance of continuing Finasteride indefinitely.

Subsequently, I have contemplated introducing Minoxidil into my hair care regimen, despite my previous reluctance due to its daily application requirement (I prefer not to use oral-Minoxidil.). However, I still have several questions and concerns about topical Minoxidil, especially given the contradictory information I have encountered online. Here are my specific queries:

If I start using Minoxidil in 2023, see good results by 2026, but then stop for any reason (like cost or greasiness), will my hair go back to how it would have been if I never used Minoxidil in 2023 or 2026? - or even WORSE?

If I start and stop Minoxidil on and off, could this cause more permanent hair loss than if I never used it?

Given my recent hair transplant, if I start Minoxidil four weeks post-surgery, is there a risk that the transplanted hairs could become dependent on it, and I might lose them if I stop Minoxidil after a year?

I deeply appreciate your expertise and guidance on these matters. Your insights are invaluable to me, and I am grateful for your assistance.

That account is not Dr. Rahal, its a representative for Dr. Rahal. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

23 hours ago, Melvin- Admin said:

See study below:

Right on the money, and this was my own experience as well. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Another possible explanation for a perceived decrease in the effectiveness of finasteride in stabilizing hair loss over time is that hair loss can be a progressive condition. This means that even with treatment, the natural progression of androgenetic alopecia can continue, and individuals may lose more hair as they age.

Additionally, some people may develop a form of hair loss known as "finasteride resistance" where the drug becomes less effective due to genetic or hormonal factors unique to the individual.However, the long-term effectiveness of finasteride can vary from person to person. Some individuals may find that its efficacy diminishes after several years of use and some may continue to enjoy its benefits for longer period.

It's essential to understand that while finasteride can be beneficial for many people for longer period, it may not completely halt hair loss or regrow all lost hair. Its primary purpose is to slow down the progression of hair loss.

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023