Book With Dr. Turan of FUECAPILAR? (23 years old)

I have been a frequent lurker on this forum for around 3-4 years. I consider myself very knowledgeable on the basics of all things hair loss. I fully understand how progressive MPB is and that a transplant will do absolutely nothing for me if I do not continue taking a DHT blocker indefinitely. However, my case is somewhat different than others due to the fact that I was straight up blessed with a NWII hairline from birth. Sounds like something someone in denial would say, but I swear lol it is very real. I vividly remember being extremely bothered by this as a kid, and always wondering why my hair never looked like my friends did. This was way before I ever even experienced any loss. Fast forward to late 2019 and the thinning started beating my ass. Of course this grew into an obsession, which progressed throughout the pandemic, but it wasn't until early 2021 that I began to accept that I was balding. After a consultation with a shady HT clinic near me, I began taking 1.25mg finasteride and 2.5mg oral minoxidil daily, and experienced fairly good results. I continued this regiment from February 2021 to around October 2021. At this point my barber of many years moved away, and I was too embarrassed or scared or whatever it was to get another one, so I began shaving my head. I decided to stop taking the medication and just wear a hat at all times besides at night and in the shower. Needless to say it was not easy at all being in college and not looking like everyone else. This has negatively impacted my life for the past several years, as most of you could probably imagine. Almost a year ago now I decided that I cannot keep living like this and will go the surgical route. In anticipation for this, I started taking 1.25mg fin daily again around November of 2022. I have experienced some minor regrowth, but more importantly no further loss and still no side effects from the DHT suppression.

Since graduating college this past spring, I have saved up enough money for a procedure with Dr. Dogan Turan. I was sent a proposal in December of 2022, but did not book due to being in school and not having the money. I have recently re-contacted FUE Capilar and plan on booking ASAP. This is horrifying to be honest. I know it is what I was, but I also am impulsive, and have seen quite a few horror stories on this forum and on reddit. I believe have very reasonable expectations. A conservative but dense hairline is my goal. I also know that I will most definitely want to/have to undergo another procedure again at some point in my life, so keeping enough useable grafts is very important to me.

Dr. Turan's proposal:

turanprop.JPG.a279041c032553658da86441d7d845b7.JPG

(Photo taken one month after resuming fin Dec. 22)

I feel confident based on my research that Dr. Turan is a solid and ethical surgeon. I just want some other unbiased opinions on my situation given my age and condition. I took the photos attached under very bright flash so all areas can be clearly seen. Additionally, I attached a picture of my hair before any loss began (I was like 15). My head has not been exposed to direct sunlight in about 3 years at this point, so there is a very harsh contrast between my skin and scalp. Any advice from some of the OGs on here would be greatly appreciated. The only thing worse than being bald for me would be pouring a lot of money and emotional energy into a lost cause. Thanks guys!

IMG-3260.thumb.jpg.597fabfb58af481fec9297156bc2d6b3.jpgIMG-3259.thumb.jpg.7f9adb7f88a787c77fc92c0bf0c3d1b8.jpgIMG-3258.thumb.jpg.cae99a9a9870a5b6fd48529985f6a024.jpgIMG-3257.jpg.31b0581a66c8ff247fa6f6565f018eaa.jpgIMG-3261.thumb.jpg.19cd427e74b87d9c5f75372fc92acbbb.jpg

• Administrators

I don’t recommend getting a hair transplant at this age. You should wait, see how medication is working for you. It looks like you have aggressive hair loss, which concerns me further.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor

At 23 I honestly think you should stay on medication and revisit this in a few more years. By then you will know more about your hair loss pattern. At 23 I had more hair and ended up a Norwood 7 so you really need to have a game plan with surgery for life. I know this is not what you want to hear but to start surgery now on a moving target is something you will regret down the road. 

Well said Gats, and we know that MPB is a progressive disorder over a lifetime and that is why we must have a lifelong plan to address it.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Turan is an ethical doctor...I think you should proceed with your surgery but plus you should start finasteride (oral) to stabilise your hairloss. With finasteride and hair transplant you will solve your problem.

I don’t understand everybody’s hesitation to get a hair transplant at a younger age. If you have extensive loss at his age why couldn’t you get 3,000 grafts towards the front and then address the crown at a later date? What’s the risk? I think age is just a number… take somebody who is a nw 2 or 3 in his 30’s… if that person was to get a hair transplant in his 30s to the front that doesn’t mean he isn’t going to lose more hair in the future. Some guys hairloss accelerates the most in their 20s and then other guys lose the most in their 30s and 40s and beyond. I think at any age besides 60 years old you are running a risk. Anybody that has male pattern baldness is probably going to continue to progress with age. 

I also think with medications you are just delaying the inevitable… you can get on medications and it will stop or slow things for years and then you think you are stable but in my opinion you are just kicking the can down the road. If you are meant to be a NW 6 or 7 you are going to get there regardless of meds…. So I think people get way too caught up into waiting to get a hair transplant until you are stable… you truly never know if you are stable… it’s progressive. So in my opinion with transplants and medications you are delaying your “fall from grace” and getting more years of enjoyment with hair but you’re genes are going to dictate when and how much hair you will lose and nobody knows that regardless of age. Just my opinion. 

I would personally hold off unless you go super conservative. 23 is very young. It appears you may have some retrograde alopecia above/behind your ears as well which can potentially mean your donor may be slightly limited. Medication might help improve these areas though.