shaving after (failed) FUE transplants: real life examples

exhibit a: ufc fighter volkan oezdemir got a ht a few years ago

image.thumb.jpeg.cce0c1e782b6c8753a5abe14504bd977.jpeg

it didnt end up looking good so he decided to shave it

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwiKOSgtjf7/?hl=lu

exhibit b: another example would be footballer benedict howedes who decided to just buzz it like jason statham

image.thumb.jpeg.292b3d8a61a72508b0f5f6143aa3cee9.jpeg

here is a post who goes a bit more into detail regarding howedes

exhibit c - michael mando from better call saul, who got smp on top of hairtransplant

image.jpeg.b1ba688d5e009d69e6b4b3e9ce6cb370.jpeg

exhibit d: former footballer sneijder

who also got transplant + smp i think

image.png.3a19ca50037bf09e52bb701643c36de1.png

then footballer david silva

image.jpeg.48dc5deabb5c5918e8a812b64c0bf3ec.jpeg

my take in reference to people who lose everything behind the transplant:

at least the first 2 guys in my list had obviously failed transplants and didnt get any smp to cover it up. however i dont think they look substantially worse compared to an average bald men. they are perceived as bald and thats it. i think as long as there isnt cobblestoning and super crazy scaring in the back there isn much difference.both of the factors can mostly be avoided by choosinh the right surgeon. and there will be always smp

admittedly the transplanted frontal band will be more visible even when its shaved the more dense you pack (see david silva). first 2 guys didnt hadnt super densed packed hairlines imho.

so if you expect to end up as a high norwood and you dont/cant take medication i wouldnt choose a very low hairline bc that would end up looking unnatural. its better to get a bit higher hairline so in case the rest of your hair goes south you still mimic a natural hairlosd pattern (row 3 of the alvi armani hairline)

image.jpeg.55498eee87bfdefea9534717e81fa036.jpeg

also explained by the dr from hattingen in this video

an example of this pattern would be the zidane

image.jpeg.64bf2eac2733d9150d9b1e3a046ad7ab.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a7ed5c635bfd6295086ede0cfec66659.jpeg

ofc zidane has still high sides here (crown already dipped here), so true norwood 7 might end up with a unnatural regardless even though you probabld could still some naturalness there and at least get a joe biden look which is acceptable if yoi are like 70 plus)

my conclusion is, that getting a ht without medication is probably a waste of time and money. however peoole who end up having to shave dont look noticable worse then natural bald guys, as long as there isnt hypertrophy in scarring, cobblestoning and a too low halirline. thoughts?

Edited by mr_peanutbutter
  • Like 2

• mr_peanutbutter changed the title to shaving after (failed) FUE transplants: real life examples

David Silva is in no case a failed HT, did you look any of his recent post on Instagram? 
he went to Dr.Couto and his transplant looks amazing 

Or was this just an example of what it looks like right after transplant ? If so my bad 

Edited by Youth_Again

In nature there are people with varying level of loss in front region as the Norwood scale shows too. Not everyone follows the pattern. So a shaved failed HT doesn’t look any different than a shaved balding guy unless the recipient is scarred.

The only place there’s no hiding from a failed HT is the donor area. If it’s a FUT or a botched HT with donor area thinned out in one spot (not homogenous) it shows even when shaved. Donor area is never completely bald in nature and follows a small pattern of loss depending on Norwood level so if your surgeon botches your donor, you’re screwed for life. Frontal HT mess ups don’t matter that much, can shave it off and be like the bald guy 

On 9/20/2023 at 8:23 PM, Youth_Again said:

David Silva is in no case a failed HT, did you look any of his recent post on Instagram? 
he went to Dr.Couto and his transplant looks amazing 

Or was this just an example of what it looks like right after transplant ? If so my bad 

thats why i put failed in ( ) meaning i post examples of both failed and successful ht where people decided to buzz it or shave it

On 9/20/2023 at 9:55 AM, mr_peanutbutter said:

my conclusion is, that getting a ht without medication is probably a waste of time and money. however peoole who end up having to shave dont look noticable worse then natural bald guys, as long as there isnt hypertrophy in scarring, cobblestoning and a too low halirline. thoughts?

HT without medication comes down to a lot of things, it's impossible to paint with too broad of a brush and say it's not worth it. But I agree if you are going without med's, you should hold off on doing the hairline for as long as possible. I see a lot of guys on here who are like NW 2.5 or below getting HT's and honestly it strikes me as body dysmorphia. You're better off just accepting it, finding a style you can live with, and waiting until you really need a HT. I don't think anyone should be going in for first time HT's if it's below 2000 grafts.

But yes agreed, it doesn't seem that getting a FUE really removes the possibility for shaving down the line. I've never really bought the idea that it does, but again it also comes down to a lot of factors. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

3 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I see a lot of guys on here who are like NW 2.5 or below getting HT's and honestly it strikes me as body dysmorphia.

What makes it really strange is they go for conservative hairlines which is so pointless and cosmetically does nothing. 

So yeah BDD for sure.

34 minutes ago, Turkhair said:

What makes it really strange is they go for conservative hairlines which is so pointless and cosmetically does nothing. 

So yeah BDD for sure.

I agree. I understand the surgeon's perspective (If ethical) of not wanting to bring someone back to NW 0.5, but aesthetically the difference between NW 1.5 and NW 2.5 is really not that much IMO. So just wait and bide your time, otherwise you're forced into the position of chasing it if and when further recession happens.

IMO, HT's are really best left to guys who have significant balding where anything is going to be an improvement over their baseline. In the meantime, embrace your early 80's Bruce Willis and find a style that works for you. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

And even here I am speaking very broadly. I get that a NW 2.5 looks fine on some guys and not fine on others. HT's are very context specific, so it's really tough to have any sort of "rules of thumb" that can apply to the population at large given that balding effects all ages, races, head types, face types ect

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

David Silva doesn’t shave, he only shaved while he was ugly duckling. 
image.jpeg

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Strange how Fue donor areas seem to look better when shaved the the bone as appose to a half guard-#1

It would be interesting to hear how doctors approach helping previous patients minimise the appearance of previous surgeries when the aim is to get back to a shaved head look. 

Tates head looks completely undamaged when completely shaved 

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2024 at 6:21 PM, Melvin- Admin said:

David Silva doesn’t shave, he only shaved while he was ugly duckling. 
image.jpeg

A top doc actually told me a story about this. I’m sure he said that Silva actually had an emergency back home, which meant he couldn’t go back the next day to finish his surgery… if you look, it looks like the front line has been done, but he wasn’t able to fill in behind it straight away…. 

edit… I don’t wish to make light of a horrible situation. It looks like everything turned out ok.. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6373217/amp/David-Silva-opens-anguish-seeing-baby-boy-fight-survival.html

Edited by Otis james

It's definitely of benefit to have it fail sparsely. 

However, if verteporfin ends up healing scars completely as apparently it does in animal models (not for hair regrowth, merely for restoring the skin itself) and some successful laser hair removal you could end up essentially undoing the procedure in favorable cases.

It's too bad electrolysis of transplanted hair can lead to bumpy and uneven skin.

• 1 month later...