Going Nuclear: Oral DUT & MIN + Topical FIN/DUT

Davy773

Hey y’all, 

Been on .5mg DUT & oral min daily w no side effects for over a year w no results. I switched to DUT after not seeing any results on FIN which I used for an about a year. I’m currently shedding hair fast, I’m not even sure it’s normal. I loose easily over 300 hairs a day. 

I returned to my derma and he said there wasn’t much he could do for me besides increase my oral MIN slowly to 5mg daily. I’m currently on 3.5mg daily until our follow up. He also placed me on VIT D, K, & Calcium as I was deficient. 

Should/could I add a topical fin/dut from Xyon to help? Is my shedding even normal? I’ve added a photo showing my bathroom sink after running my hands through my hair. My hair is everywhere in my apartment. My pillow, towels, couch, desk, food. It’s ridiculous. 

55A4C5C7-5596-4ADA-81EA-AA640E2D777B.jpeg

Topical dut could help, you could also increase dut anywhere from 1 mg up to 2.5 mg. Also consider adding RU58841 but I know not everyone is willing to use it.

I wouldn't rely on a self assessment of the number of hairs you shed. That tends to be unreliable and people who are losing hair can be obsessive and overestimate it. If you really want to know your shedding rate, get a hair catcher in your shower and track the number of hairs each time you shower.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TakeAction said:

Topical dut could help, you could also increase dut anywhere from 1 mg up to 2.5 mg. Also consider adding RU58841 but I know not everyone is willing to use it.

I wouldn't rely on a self assessment of the number of hairs you shed. That tends to be unreliable and people who are losing hair can be obsessive and overestimate it. If you really want to know your shedding rate, get a hair catcher in your shower and track the number of hairs each time you shower.

Thanks for the advice. Have you had any experience using oral DUT that high? Also, with all respect I don’t think I need a hair catcher to see the difference in my hair from a few months ago. It’s obvious I’ve lost a significant amount of density from pictures, my barber, my girlfriend and so fourth. 

16 minutes ago, Davy773 said:

Thanks for the advice. Have you had any experience using oral DUT that high? Also, with all respect I don’t think I need a hair catcher to see the difference in my hair from a few months ago. It’s obvious I’ve lost a significant amount of density from pictures, my barber, my girlfriend and so fourth. 

I take 1 mg of dutasteride since my goal is not just maintenance but regrowth. No issues. You're already blocking so much serum DHT that it's unlikely that increasing the dose will cause issues. 

It is actually rare dut or fin will regrow hair, they are maintenance treatments. 

The only real option to get hair back is a hair transplant, or more intense treatments that raise your estrogen levels, but the side effects for most men are too much to bear. 

On 9/9/2023 at 2:31 AM, asterix0 said:

It is actually rare dut or fin will regrow hair, they are maintenance treatments. 

This is somewhat of a myth. According to clinical data, dutasteride is the most effective treatment for hair regrowth we have apart from the system anti-androgens..

Edited by Scree

• Administrators

Topical fin/dut is redundant if you're on the oral version. You need to get on a topical that works by a different mechanism—something like Pyrilutamide or CosmeRNA. We're going nuclear if you can stop DHT and inhibit the androgen receptors.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.