US based hair transplant doctors getting fewer on this forum

Well one thing I am surprised by is the shrinking number of US based recommended surgeons.

there are some good ones for sure… but Konier is 35k for a procedure… after a year wait …outside of most people budgets

and several doctors that used to be in here are not now.

why is the state of US doctors so poor that only a handful of doctors can make the cut in a country the size of the US

its very troubling for US patients of normal fiscal means…

usa is just too expensive, the wages for technicians etc

cheaper countries are just one flight away. and its not like there is a superior technique used in the usa,  so there is little justification for the price gap imho.

and im not even talking about turkey as comparison but good european surgeons in like spain, portugal belgium…even dr zarev is often cheaper then many no name surgeons in the usa.

people like konior is an exception though, simpy because he is so good. like a swiss watch manufacture he can justify his prices because of quality

• Like 2

the US has bad healthcare in general and a lower life expectancy than many European countries. 

there is no reason you should inherently assume the US has the best hair transplant docs, unless there is some blind 'USA #1' attitude going on

Edited by HappyMan2021

Please don’t misunderstand me. It’s not a USA is number 1 attitude.

its that the USA is a huge country with many people and many doctors. We have some of the best in the world for many areas of medicine but not so for hair transplants. Only a small number of good and very few great.

it’s just startling.

and I’ll be honest the idea of surgery in a country I am not a citizen of is unsettling.

legal recourse is less and some countries are not transparent with their medical standards. So while choosing a surgeon is hard… choosing out of country surgery is very hard.. at least for me.

1 hour ago, ghostdog said:

its that the USA is a huge country with many people and many doctors. We have some of the best in the world for many areas of medicine but not so for hair transplants. Only a small number of good and very few great.

it’s just startling.

and I’ll be honest the idea of surgery in a country I am not a citizen of is unsettling.

legal recourse is less and some countries are not transparent with their medical standards. So while choosing a surgeon is hard… choosing out of country surgery is very hard.. at least for me.

You don’t understand.

US has fantastic doctors, the best in the world. The reason people don’t rush to go to US and talk about them a lot is because you need to sell your kidney and a family member’s to cover the cost of a small surgery. 

You can get the same or better in Turkey for pennies and some European countries although european doctors are super expensive too due to VAT taxes and such. I have noticed Turk doctors hide from the government and don’t pay taxes that’s why they can be so cheap. 

If you’re this scared of going to another country then just don’t. The doctors in US are fantastic, find one near you and get it done. If someone’s not on this forum is because of the reasons I mentioned. Most people get excited about travelling to other countries and getting an HT is a nice excuse so it’s the reason why Turkey is so popular. 

22 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

the US has bad healthcare in general and a lower life expectancy than many European countries. 

there is no reason you should inherently assume the US has the best hair transplant docs, unless there is some blind 'USA #1' attitude going on

US has the best healthcare in the world if you are able to afford it, and is by far the leader in health care technology and innovation (Largely as a result of the privatized nature of the system). This is not a "USA #1" attitude, just the facts. 

That doesn't mean its population has good health outcomes though. But you're conflating two different topics. 

9 hours ago, ghostdog said:

it’s just startling.

Ideally you’d limit as much travel as possible, but as you noted there’s not a lot of good surgeons in the US, so what are your options? What would you need to see to get surgery done in Europe?

I’m US based and decided Canada has the best doctors for me. Canada is similar enough to the US to where I think you’d feel more at ease getting your procedure there, between H&W and Rahal. Neither are cheap but not as expensive as Konior. 

I’m thinking all the top end USA based surgeons aren’t really available to the public and only do celebrities, high profile people, etc but that’s just speculation. A lot of people, even who have money, have the mindset of go to Turkey it’s cheaper. Find a handful of surgeons you like and then do more due diligence on their particular countries if you are concerned about health regulations or anything else like that. That was another reason I felt comfortable with Canada.

In America there are plenty of really good hair transplant doctors, but they are more expensive than Europe and I would also say they are more conservative. The difference in cost doesn't appear to create a difference in quality, so I can understand why people would head to Europe. Konoir's price is very high and not reflective of the overall market, but in America you are probably looking at a cost of $7/graft for a good surgeon.

• Administrators

There are plenty of top-notch docs in the US. Gabel, Cooley, Shapiro, H&W, Mohebi, Haber, Carman to name a few. Of course, the average cost will be $7-8 per graft. 

The reason it’s cheaper in Europe is because of the proximity to Turkey. But regardless, the cost isn’t that much cheaper when you factor lodging and airfare. In my opinion, search for the best surgeon, then look at cost and convenience. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.