Who has had 2nd transplant for density?

Has anyone had a second transplant in a previous area that had fue? Had hairline and temples done 4 years ago with 1900 grafts. Great outcome but wanted more density and we did 2000 on March 10, 2023 so just over 5 months. 

I made a post about this before but had no one who had experience  

I swear my hair looked better before the second surgery  I feel its more scarce like I lost some of my previous hair   

I honestly feel I have had zero growth and all my hair is same length with no visible short hairs coming in   My doc office set the check in to 7 months instead of 6 and said second density transplants can take longer to grow  Of course I know the drill of waiting but at over 5 months I would expect my hair to he at least what it was prior    And yes I was on minox and topical dutasteride before and after surgery (or started back 14 days after surgery)  

First transplant I saw great results at 5 months but man I am telling you this sucks  Is there ANY doctor or nurse that can chime in on subsequent transplants, delayed healing time, or perhaps shock loss of previous native/transplanted hairs? I do laser helmet, massage and just feel like there should be greater signs by now   

I have pics further down the thread under “Second transplant for density”

• Moderators

If you had a lot of shock loss then you should think of it as if you had just one HT with the total amount transplanted because any hair that fell out from shock loss can take 6 months or more to grow back just as if it was newly transplanted hair. So at 5 months it could look like you are still worse off due to that. I'd wait at least another month or two to see how much it improves.

Most people do end up going back for a 2nd HT to add some density, so that is normal.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor

@Ry-77

You have to wait brother ....shockloss can be a reason for this and regrowth takes time....so don't stress out and give it sometime and wait for few months...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

7 hours ago, BeHappy said:

If you had a lot of shock loss then you should think of it as if you had just one HT with the total amount transplanted because any hair that fell out from shock loss can take 6 months or more to grow back just as if it was newly transplanted hair. So at 5 months it could look like you are still worse off due to that. I'd wait at least another month or two to see how much it improves.

Most people do end up going back for a 2nd HT to add some density, so that is normal.

This is where it just confuses me. Everywhere on the internet it says hair starts growing 3-4 months after surgery. And any native hairs lost will generally start regrowing the same time. 

Some say second transplants take longer due to scar tissue from previous transplant and some say any native hair lost will not grow back. Its so confusing. 

The simplest answer is the correct one usually.

I looked at your pictures and sorry but it doesn’t look a good job the first time even. 2k grafts is a lot just for hairline and you still had bad density.

Not every surgeon can dense pack, it’s a difficult skill. It could be as simple as your surgeon messed up and killed the native hairs, you can’t just implant into existing hairs without a care. Some surgeons refuse to transplant to diffuse thinners for this reason.

If you’re absolutely sure of your surgeon’s skills and he didn’t kill your grafts then it could be shockloss which takes few months to recover. It doesn’t look like shockloss to me honestly, sorry. Hope to be proven wrong though

By the way dutasteride is super strong, even topical it does get into bloodstream. So if you can tolerate topical dut, have you tried finasteride? You might be able to use fin fine which is a much better drug than dut because it doesn’t inhibit testosterone 

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Ry-77 said:

This is where it just confuses me. Everywhere on the internet it says hair starts growing 3-4 months after surgery. And any native hairs lost will generally start regrowing the same time. 

Some say second transplants take longer due to scar tissue from previous transplant and some say any native hair lost will not grow back. Its so confusing. 

Sure it usually starts growing around the 3 to 4 month mark, but there is several months of variation in growth depending on the person. I think most people see the biggest improvement between the 5 and 6 month mark, so you could be just starting to really pop right now. Lets see in a few weeks if you start noticing some good improvement.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I had a second fue for density 7 weeks ago. I think it's way to soon to have an idea how it will turn out. I did post some photos  under " Steven Gabel - Post Fue 5 weeks" For some reason i had trouble signing in again so i created a different account under the name James Osterberg - Iggy Pop

I will say it is confusing to know if the hair that is showing now is purely from the first transplant or some of it is from the recent one.