Downgrading from 5mg Oral Minoxidil to 2.5mg - is it a good idea?

Hi Guys,

Basically, the title says it all, for the last 8 months I've been on 5mg of Oral Min, and no serious side effects of note except the very odd heart palpitation - but that may not be attributable to the medication so please don't read into that too much 🙂. The benefits of Oral Min coupled with Finasteride have been great (for my crown in particular - my hairline hasn't really benefitted as such).

I was wondering if it would be a safer course of action to err on the side of caution and decrease to 2.5mg? Would it be much of a difference to the overall result? I've seen people with excellent results with just 2.5mg (Such as Mr. Rolandas). Or does this even make sense considering i have very few (if any) side effects, and just stick to 5mg?

• Administrators

Try alternating between 2.5 mg to 5 mg. See if you notice a difference, if no. Switch to 2.5.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey: 

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Cheers @Melvin- Moderator,

I'll put in an order for both then and see how I go! It was on your advice I tried Oral Min in the first place and its worked really well, its not as drastic a change as some others over the 8 months but it's definitely improved things.

Edited by make_aaron_great_again

• Valued Contributor

@make_aaron_great_again

You can cut down your dosage as melvin suggested and see how it goes ...

10 minutes ago, make_aaron_great_again said:

its not as drastic a change as some others over the 8 months

This thing varies from person to person but its good that you have seen positive change and its just 8 months so you are far from seeing full potential of medication ....

• Thanks 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

11 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

@make_aaron_great_again

You can cut down your dosage as melvin suggested and see how it goes ...

This thing varies from person to person but its good that you have seen positive change and its just 8 months so you are far from seeing full potential of medication ....

Thanks so much for your reply, i'm going to try that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buck Naked said:

Did you get the heart palpitation checked out my a physician? I would err on the side of caution and go down to 2.5mg. 

No not yet, it's not particularly bad or anything, it's a very odd occurrence - once every 6 weeks or so. If it gets any more frequent than that i'll have to get it seen to but right now it's fine I think. Thanks for your concern @Buck Naked

I was on 5mg for a few months (~4months), and I also felt a bit of the palpitations intermittently

Hair def responded well to 5mg 

Then I tried 2.5mg and haven't looked back since - no sides watsoever.

Hair has been getting the same results as at 5mg - no palpitations of the sort

I firmly believe in having the lowest dose of any medication to get the desired effect. 

I agree with all the above. Try 2.5mg and see the response. Get any palpitations symptoms evaluated by an doctor

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 6:48 PM, ItIsTime said:

I was on 5mg for a few months (~4months), and I also felt a bit of the palpitations intermittently

Hair def responded well to 5mg 

Then I tried 2.5mg and haven't looked back since - no sides watsoever.

Hair has been getting the same results as at 5mg - no palpitations of the sort

I firmly believe in having the lowest dose of any medication to get the desired effect. 

I agree with all the above. Try 2.5mg and see the response. Get any palpitations symptoms evaluated by an doctor

Thanks so much for your input! I just got the 2.5mg and i'll see how I get on with it. I did also, intermittently, get a feeling of pressure on my chest with the 5mg. Hopefully that will all phase out with the 2.5mg