Finasteride stopped working after 5 years of use

zordx

Hi 

I have been suffering from hair loss since reaching the age 16.

At age 21 I have researched hair loss medications and I was close to NW3, I suffered from DHT itch, my hair was painful to touch as well.

I started using 1mg daily oral finasteride after 8 months I saw some improvements but I wanted more so i added minoxidil 5% topical foam.

For last 5 years I have been using Fin+Minox and had great results with nice regrowth close to NW2 and crown filled up.

But in the last 6 months I started seeing miniaturized hairs and shedding a lot, I have lost a lot of ground and my scalp is back to being itchy and painful and hair is not feeling good when touched.

I used sometimes generic Teva version of fina and sometimes Merck Propecia Original version, didnt notice and diffrences.

I did not have any side effects from finasteride maybe few times had ball ache but nothing more. 

I want to move to dutasteride every other day + fina 1mg everyday but there is no way to get the prescription in Israel 

Can someone please recommend any site that I can order duta in pill form or topical and it will be good quality?

Please help me save my hair, my age is 26 and I want hair transplant later in life not now.

I can upload pictures from before and after if anyone is interested in my progress.

Thank you!

Edited by zordx
add more info

• Valued Contributor

@zordx I don't know where to get prescription in Israel but yeah adding dutasteride every other day to your existing regime of 1mg finasteride would be a very hig dosage ...generally when a patient is on 1mg finasteride daily than dutasteride is prescribed only once a week...if you really wanna try a bit of high dosage and wanna take dutasteride more than you may quit finasteride and you can start 0.5 dutasteride evryday...that would be enough i guess...and yeh do consult a doctor for that...best of luck..

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

9 hours ago, zordx said:

my scalp is back to being itchy and painful and hair is not feeling good when touched.

That's your problem right there. You have a scalp inflammation problem and you need to adress the root cause of that inflammation (whether internal or external) otherwise you will continue to lose ground.

Have a close look at your daily routine including diet, supplements and daily activities etc to see if there is anything you have started or stopped doing that you weren't doing before. 

I had similar symptoms in the past where I thought Finasteride stopped working but I found out years later that it was the effects of being in a high stress work environment, eating less healthy and switching to a higher protein (high Tuna content) diet. Tuna is absolute poison to the hair roots due to the high mercury and heavy metals content.

• Valued Contributor
13 hours ago, zordx said:

Hi 

I have been suffering from hair loss since reaching the age 16.

At age 21 I have researched hair loss medications and I was close to NW3, I suffered from DHT itch, my hair was painful to touch as well.

I started using 1mg daily oral finasteride after 8 months I saw some improvements but I wanted more so i added minoxidil 5% topical foam.

For last 5 years I have been using Fin+Minox and had great results with nice regrowth close to NW2 and crown filled up.

But in the last 6 months I started seeing miniaturized hairs and shedding a lot, I have lost a lot of ground and my scalp is back to being itchy and painful and hair is not feeling good when touched.

I used sometimes generic Teva version of fina and sometimes Merck Propecia Original version, didnt notice and diffrences.

I did not have any side effects from finasteride maybe few times had ball ache but nothing more. 

I want to move to dutasteride every other day + fina 1mg everyday but there is no way to get the prescription in Israel 

Can someone please recommend any site that I can order duta in pill form or topical and it will be good quality?

Please help me save my hair, my age is 26 and I want hair transplant later in life not now.

I can upload pictures from before and after if anyone is interested in my progress.

Thank you!

Perhaps DM @Doron Harati

14 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

@zordx I don't know where to get prescription in Israel but yeah adding dutasteride every other day to your existing regime of 1mg finasteride would be a very hig dosage ...generally when a patient is on 1mg finasteride daily than dutasteride is prescribed only once a week...if you really wanna try a bit of high dosage and wanna take dutasteride more than you may quit finasteride and you can start 0.5 dutasteride evryday...that would be enough i guess...and yeh do consult a doctor for that...best of luck..

Got it, If i will be able to get my hands on good dut pills i will quit finasteride probably.

7 hours ago, gambler said:

That's your problem right there. You have a scalp inflammation problem and you need to adress the root cause of that inflammation (whether internal or external) otherwise you will continue to lose ground.

Have a close look at your daily routine including diet, supplements and daily activities etc to see if there is anything you have started or stopped doing that you weren't doing before. 

I had similar symptoms in the past where I thought Finasteride stopped working but I found out years later that it was the effects of being in a high stress work environment, eating less healthy and switching to a higher protein (high Tuna content) diet. Tuna is absolute poison to the hair roots due to the high mercury and heavy metals content.

Actually I lost some weight, started working out in gym 2 times a week and my diet is kinda the same just less food i guess. (I was working out before but i stopped for 1 and half year and now i am back )

Maybe I can try lowering the amount of coke zero I drink and eat more greens will see if that helps 

@zordx I think in Israel you can ask prescription for Avodart, but I never tried it

Edited by Doron Harati

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

On 7/31/2023 at 1:30 PM, zordx said:

Maybe I can try lowering the amount of coke zero I drink and eat more greens will see if that helps 

Yes, doing both those things would be beneficial but I think you need to do more than that. You have to understand that having an "itchy and painful" scalp is NOT normal and avodart is NOT a panacea for inflammation. You will continue having problems while the inflammation persists.

Green Tea is a simple anti-inflammatory measure (drink at least one per day) and so is egg white applied directly to the scalp and left to dry for an hour (soothes the roots and prevents excess sebum build up). Gentle scalp massage can also help.

People also use supplements like Biotin, Taurine, Stinging Nettle leaves, Zinc, R+ALA, Krill, Lysine, Borage oil for inflammation as well as Shampoo's with salicylic acid