Questions about using beard hair

Glennroe

I have exhausted scalp hair and am considering using beard hair.  Five years ago I had a fifth procedure (first four in 1990, plugs) using 1200 head hairs and 400 beard hairs at one of the top US clinics.  I was very pleased with the results.  I am now considering another procedure using only beard hair from under the jawline.  They suggested 500 graphs.  Another doctor who advertises doing large sessions using beard hair told me 2000-3000 is possible under the jawline.  I am tempted to go with the larger session.  However I don’t know if thats just hype and what might be the downside of taking so many graphs.  Also if beard graphs are used do they have to be mixed with regular hair for can they stand alone in a bald midscalp area if there is enough of them?  Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi, I can well imagine your situation. Normally dense beards can give 1600-2000 grafts under the jawline and neck area. It is a fact as I am performing beard hair to head in my practice. Secondly beard hair texture is different so normally used for mid scalp or crown area. These are of thick diameter. In selected cases I usually mixed these hair to scalp grafts if required in the frontal hairline for those patients who have inadequate scalp donor area. 
As you mentioned 500 grafts already taken from the beard area. You did not mention whether from the cheeks or under the jawline area. If previously taken from under the jawline area then grafts availability will surely be less than 1400 to 1600 grafts. 
Below images will give you an idea of the step by step procedure. 

DSC_0653.JPG

DSC_0685.JPG

DSC_0720.JPG

DSC_0767.JPG

DSC_0768.JPG

DSC_0769.JPG

Edited by AhmadChaudhry

Dr. Ahmad Chaudhry

Cosmo Derma clinic 

Lahore Pakistan 

Did the initial 500 beard grafts grow from the first surgery? I'm surprised since i thought bht was relatively new and only adopted in the early to mid 2000s.

@AhmadChaudhry Do you by any chance have photos of the beard grown out after the extractions? I'd be very interested if someone can provide any examples of what beards look like a few months after extracting grafts and growing it out. 

Hi Postman

Maybe my post was confusing. The 400 beard hairs were from my last procedure in 2018.   My first four procedures were in the early 90’s. Sorry I don’t have pictures and I don’t grow a beard. When shaven you can’t tell if anything was done

10 hours ago, postman1710 said:

Did the initial 500 beard grafts grow from the first surgery? I'm surprised since i thought bht was relatively new and only adopted in the early to mid 2000s.

@AhmadChaudhry Do you by any chance have photos of the beard grown out after the extractions? I'd be very interested if someone can provide any examples of what beards look like a few months after extracting grafts and growing it out. 

Hi, yes I have taken photos of the beard after few weeks as well in some cases. I will try to share in next 24 to 48 hours. 

Dr. Ahmad Chaudhry

Cosmo Derma clinic 

Lahore Pakistan 

6 hours ago, Glennroe said:

Thank you Ahmad for your response 

The pictures you posted are very informative. How many graphs were taken?

Sir, as you can see before photo, there is gap in the midline area. Beard grafts = 1398 in the above case. 

Dr. Ahmad Chaudhry

Cosmo Derma clinic 

Lahore Pakistan 

6 hours ago, Glennroe said:

Hi Postman

Maybe my post was confusing. The 400 beard hairs were from my last procedure in 2018.   My first four procedures were in the early 90’s. Sorry I don’t have pictures and I don’t grow a beard. When shaven you can’t tell if anything was done

Hi, it is hair or grafts from the beard? As 400 grafts already taken in 2018, it means you can minus these 400 grafts from your beard area. 

Dr. Ahmad Chaudhry

Cosmo Derma clinic 

Lahore Pakistan 

• Valued Contributor

@Glennroe a big session is possible but that all depends on how many grafts you have left with .....i have seen eugenix take out high number of beard grafts successfully....if you use only beard grafts on a specific bald area than the number of beard grafts required would be way more than scalp grafts as beard consist of very less number of multiple hair grafts and the texture of the beard grafts is also different and thats why it is advised to mix them with scalp grafts but if your scalp donor can't give you more grafts than you have left with no option other than to use beard and chest hairs....search for the results from eugenix clinic and you will be also to see many such cases where high number of body grafts are used

Edited by A_4_Archan

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

We’re the pictures taken right after the procedure?  Do you have pictures after a week or two. I am curious to know how well the neck area heals after so many graphs were extracted.  I only had a few hundred taken and healed well. I was just wondering if 1000-2000 are taken will things heal just as well

Thanks

• Administrators
16 hours ago, AhmadChaudhry said:
Hi, I can well imagine your situation. Normally dense beards can give 1600-2000 grafts under the jawline and neck area. It is a fact as I am performing beard hair to head in my practice. Secondly beard hair texture is different so normally used for mid scalp or crown area. These are of thick diameter. In selected cases I usually mixed these hair to scalp grafts if required in the frontal hairline for those patients who have inadequate scalp donor area. 
As you mentioned 500 grafts already taken from the beard area. You did not mention whether from the cheeks or under the jawline area. If previously taken from under the jawline area then grafts availability will surely be less than 1400 to 1600 grafts. 
Below images will give you an idea of the step by step procedure. 

DSC_0653.JPG

DSC_0685.JPG

DSC_0720.JPG

DSC_0767.JPG

DSC_0768.JPG

DSC_0769.JPG

If you’re a doctor you need to declare it in your signature. Your name should reflect it as well.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

27 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

If you’re a doctor you need to declare it in your signature. Your name should reflect it as well.

Hi, as i am not active in this group previously so did not read about its terms and condition in detail. However, after your advice, i am going to put my signature. Can I also put my city / country in the signature or only name with word Doctor?

Edited by AhmadChaudhry

Dr. Ahmad Chaudhry

Cosmo Derma clinic 

Lahore Pakistan 

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, AhmadChaudhry said:

Hi, as i am not active in this group previously so did not read about its terms and condition in detail. However, after your advice, i am going to put my signature. Can I also put my city / country in the signature or only name with word Doctor?

Thank you, I’ve removed the link to your site, please do not post links to your website. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Thank you, I’ve removed the link to your site, please do not post links to your website. 

Noted , appreciated. As I am not regular here previously, if you find anything wrong, violations of your policies, please let me know or you may rectify / remove it.   Thanks 

Dr. Ahmad Chaudhry

Cosmo Derma clinic 

Lahore Pakistan 

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators
16 hours ago, Electric said:

As anyone ever used chest hair? I wonder if that would be similar to beard hair?

I used about 3100 chest grafts. They aren't as good as beard grafts, but they are OK to use if you have nothing else.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Electric said:

Would you possibly send a picture to see how they differ? Would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I really can't show it in a picture. I used about 6475 body grafts consisting of about 3400 beard grafts and 3100 chest grafts. They are mostly mixed together, so I can't show a difference in photos.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Electric said:

Thanks for responding. Could someone notice something is different who doesn't know you?

No. Even most of my family (brothers and sisters) don't know and I see them regularly.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)