Newbie, Shapiro, Feller or Umar for Fue? Help

Nyfan21

Ok, so this is my first post and I need some help from my friends here. I am a norwood 2.5 with a little diffused thinning. I am close to the plunge, and I am going the FUE route. I was told by the 3 above doctors that I would need around 1500ish or more grafts, max 2000. So here are my questions? Who should I go with, will shock loss be a major issue?

My current thoughts on each doctor:

Feller- great doctor, seems to be one of the best at FUE, stand up guy, only negative $10 a graft..

Umar- great doctor good with BHT and FUE, is around $7 a graft, but not many pictures on the forum with them, abedogg seems to have redness after 1.5 months..

Shapiro- great doctor, great at strip just recently got into FUE that isn't repair only, only $5ish a graft, stand up guy, only downside not many pictures on this forum of FUE results.

Ranking in my order of who I am leaning towards:

Shapiro

Feller

Umar

Thoughts?

Don't quote me on this but I think Feller and Umar have more experience doing FUE in the range of 1000 plus grafts. Not sure that Shapiro does FUE sessions that large.

It might be a 2 day procedure at both. Umar worked about 12 hours straight and did about 1800 on me in the first day.

Umar does let you leave your hair long if you pay an extra $1 per graft but it slows him down which means it would probably make it a two day procedure.

Good luck.

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

Consult with each; see what kind of prognosis they give you; ask for multiple, well-documented pics of cases that will be approximating yours.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

nyfan21,

i'm in the same boat as you my friend. i'm waiting for Abedogg's result and if it turns out to be good, i'll go with Umar, if not (god forbid) i'll see if Feller dropped his price. if he didn't, i'll be Euro-bound in no time with BHR guys. i'm intrigued with Euro-style "fresh grape-no touching the grafts" approach and i firmly believe that it's the way to go when it comes to fue and it is increasing the graft survival rate big time. i like what i saw lately from Feller but his $10/graft is a murder.

abedogg- Shapiro started doing larger FUE sessions recently, I like Umar but I am nervous because 1 1/2 months of redness still is long for me.

Thanatopsis- I will ask for pictures now.

Mr. GQ- I am kinda waiting for Abedogg results too, I am sure they are going to be good but the prolonged redness is an issue. Where is BHR?

Cactus- I am not familar with Dr.'s more than $10 a graft but I am new at this game. So my bad.

My head is still red and it does suck. I'm not sure if its the result of incision size or cramming 3000 grafts into a white guys frontal 1/3rd.

I looked at Balboa's results and he is still experiencing redness at 4 months.

When you do your consults I would ask what the average time for redness is. Umar told me it was about 6 weeks which I just passed. I'm guessing it will still be a little red for another month or so.

Abe

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

i really hope some of you will not make your decisions simply based on the result of a SMALL few results...

NY-- as for shapiro.. he has not been practicing FUE for very long at all... you will not find much grown out documentation of his FUE work... not saying he isnt or wont be very good, but this fact alone would keep me from considering him right now..... FUE is a tougher procedure to do well.. i think thats been more than proven at this point.

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

lost my swagger- thanks for your input. Are there other Dr.'s that you think I should be looking at for FUE?

What are you referring to when you say SMALL few posted results...

Thanks

ny-- Dr. Umar is not 'proven' in my eyes with his FUE.. and i have a few more issues with him id rather not get into in public. this is only my opinion so i dont want to upset anyone.. i know that many out there believe in his work.. and they may know better than me....

have you really seen much of his work, outside of his cherry picked vids on NW 2s?? to me, abedoggs results should not be considered the be all end all measuring stick of umars work..

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

To address concerns of "redness" mine lasted for up to 6 months. it takes time for it to completely fade...

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Swagger-

Thanks for your input. So who are the FUE experts that are considered proven under $10 a graft?

Dr. Cole? Or any others?

Thanks I really appreciate any help, I want I make an informed decision.

I was about to say exactly what LMS said...except I would definitely at the very least consider Shapiro because of his price, ethics, skill-set, and that he strikes me as the type who wouldn't charge a dollar for something if he wasn't utterly confident in his ability to do the patient right.

Umar intrigues me and I've said many times how much promise I think he represents. But, my reservations with him revolve around shills, hype (not FUE so much as BHT), super-secrecy over methodology and tools, and I simply haven't seen many cases documented that I trust on the level of other clinics.

All of that can be 100% true and he can still be a 100% amazing surgeon, though, and deliver results that I'd love to experience myself. That said, to counter such red flags I'd want to be blown the hell away by the power of his skills and ability to deliver high-yield, consistent results in whatever graft range I'd be up for.

IMO, the combo of Feller's latest FUE advancement and Shapiro's immersion into FUE would make me hold off on a FUE session for a bit longer to see where the dust settles and how the landscape gets impacted.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thanks Thanatopsis_awry...for recognizing Dr Shapiro's commitment to excellence...

I agree with everyone's wait and see attitude with FUE. We have taken it slow and cautious not to get a head of ourselves, but we are building up steam and feel very confident with what we have done up to this point. We will follow these patients closely and keep you all updated. Many patients have contacted us in pursuit of FUE at this time we are only allowing one a week, to assure the utmost personal attention.

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna

thanks Zup for your clinic's fue update.

will you or do you guys feel comfortable disclosing your fue extraction tool to the public? perhaps you guys can chime in with your opinions on today's variety of fue tools. what kind of fue tool SMG prefers and why? and what do you guys think about all this notion of secrecy nonsense when it comes to these tools?

thanks

$10 /graft may seem expensive, but you're paying for dr. feller's expertise and skill. i'd rather pay premium for this type of surgery if i knew it would dramatically increase my odds of a great result.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

that's true but as i said $10 is a murder.

some people can't afford that much and some can.

i'm nw3 and i'll need 3K+ so how can i come up with 30K in times like these?

coming up with 20K is much easier and it makes a huge difference for some if not for many.

i play lottery every day you know icon_wink.gif

hairthere- I really feel like Dr. Feller is one of the best FUE doctors out there no doubt. But say I would want 2K grafts @ $10 and I can get them @ $6. is the Extra $8K that I am paying that much of a difference? (I know what people are going to say it depends on how bad that $6 graft is or who is doing it because to fix it might cost you more than the $8K, but what if that $6 graft is actually good?)

It is impossible to make the "right" choice you can only make the most informed one possible and that's why I ask all you experts. Thanks again everyone for their input.

the results i have seen from Shapiro look fantastic and knowing from first hand experience how caring and honest they are at smg, they simply wouldnt be offering fue at all unless they were excellent at it and confident they can achieve amazing results with fue as well as their strip icon_smile.gif

2 poor very poor UK ht's

2 world class repairs with Shapiro Medical Group

original thread

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...d.php?t=134995

Dr Paul's procedure http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1710

Dr Ron's procedure

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1128

i certainly understand wanting to save money. i think shapiro does excellent strip work. of course fue is a completely different beast so i would proceed with extreme caution. umar seems to have done some amazing repair work, but i don't know too much about his routine fue work. i know feller has tons of examples of his fue work available and has a stellar track record. he also does not believe in performing fue megasessions. if it were my head and precious donor grafts, that's who i'd go with. if money was that much of an issue i'd wait for shapiro to get more experience and have more grown-out examples to look at.