Oral minoxidil for hair + topical minoxidil for beard stack - good or bad idea ?

Youth_Again

Hi guys,

I will start using oral minoxidil soon, and I also want to grow my beard and I have seen some pretty good transformations using topical minoxidil.

I was wondering if stacking oral + topical on my beard would be a good or a very bad idea, if it would be overdosing or idk have side effects.

any of you doing it ?

• Valued Contributor

@Youth_AgainOral minoxidil will stimulate your scalp hairs as well as beard hairs ...you don't need to use both forms....even if using both gives more benefit you have to consider the side effects too ...meds are good till the time they are used appropriately...but over doing or over dosage is also not wise as there are consequences of that...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

20 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

@Youth_AgainOral minoxidil will stimulate your scalp hairs as well as beard hairs ...you don't need to use both forms....even if using both gives more benefit you have to consider the side effects too ...meds are good till the time they are used appropriately...but over doing or over dosage is also not wise as there are consequences of that...

thanks for your feedback,

I was also thinking the same, overdosing could potentially cause side effects. BTW any specific advice for switching from topical to oral min? like transitioning slowly ?

I will monitor what oral minoxidil does to my beard.

• Valued Contributor
2 minutes ago, Youth_Again said:

thanks for your feedback,

I was also thinking the same, overdosing could potentially cause side effects. BTW any specific advice for switching from topical to oral min? like transitioning slowly ?

I will monitor what oral minoxidil does to my beard.

You welcome brother ...You can start with 1.25mg or 2.5 mg per day and than gradually move up to 5mg which is usually a recommended dosage which gives good results and is considered safe....i am not a doctor or medical advisor so a doctor's advice is must and he/she should be the primary person to get advice from regarding medication...i hope this helps you ..

• Thanks 1

--> My Thread

1 hour ago, A_4_Archan said:

Think he should be fine tbh. Topical will likely stay local like 90%, doubt he would have much to lose if he wanted to bump it up. Although I have to say that the benefit varies from person to person.

• Valued Contributor
9 hours ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Think he should be fine tbh. Topical will likely stay local like 90%, doubt he would have much to lose if he wanted to bump it up. Although I have to say that the benefit varies from person to person.

Minoxidil is a larger molecule and hence it is less absorbed through skin and goes less systematic but evry person skin condition is different and some people may absorb it more and thats why we call some people good responder to the topical form..it depends on sulfotransferase enzyme present in the area to be applied so we can't say how much the drug will penetrate...when using 5mg oral minoxidil imo there is no need to use topical as 5mg itself grows hairs all over your body....topical can be combined with oral if the oral dosage is 1.25mg or 2.5 max...but still it should be done after consulting a doctor and under doctor's observation..i am not fear mongering and i myself take 5mg oral minoxidil but over dosing might not be wise and i believe we should not cheer others to do so and better advice to do it under the guidance of a doctor...i too use to advice everyone about medication as i got very good results from them but then as i have been active on many forums and talk to so many people i found out that there are many people who got side effects with evn low dosage of minoxidil as well as finasteride and our advice may prove to be a disaster for them and that's why i thought its better to advice them to consult a doctor and do all the required reports and set specific dosage according to the requirements which will help them and cut down the side effects which can be done under the doctor's observation ...😊

Edited by A_4_Archan

--> My Thread

1 minute ago, A_4_Archan said:

Minoxidil is a larger molecule and hence it is less absorbed through scalp and goes less systematic but evry person scalp condition is different and some people may absorb it and thats why we call some people good responder to the topical form..it depends on sulfotransferase enzyme present in our scalp so we can't say how much the drug will penetrate...when using 5mg oral minoxidil imo there is no need to use topical as 5mg itself grows hairs all over your body....topical can be combined with oral if the oral dosage is 1.25mg or 2.5 max...but still it should be done after consulting a doctor and under doctor's observation..i am not fear mongering and i myself take 5mg oral minoxidil but over dosing might not be wise and i believe we should not cheer others to do so and better advice to do it under the guidance of a doctor...i too use to advice everyone about medication as i got very good results from them but then as i have been active on many forums and talk to so many people i found out that there are many people who got side effects with evn low dosage of minoxidil as well as finasteride and our advice may prove to be a disaster for them and that's why i thought its better to consult a doctor and do all the required reports and set specific dosage according to the requirements and do that under the doctor's observation ...😊

Of course and I agree. I think anything regarding medical therapy should be consulted with a doctor, especially oral minoxidil since I am taking it now just as yourself. I just felt that topical knowing it's an over the counter medication shouldn't really hurt if the patient is already on oral. 

The benefit is debatable at most and I doubt there would be much of an additional gain. 

However op should be mindful that he is asking opinions in a public space, so we as patients will always give our pov but never self diagnose. 

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Your beard will certainly improve with oral minoxidil for sure (and if you’re like me so will your eyebrows and ear hair 😂). I don’t think you will need to add topical minoxidil but if you don’t get any side effects then I guess it certainly won’t hurt. 

• Wow 1

20 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

You welcome brother ...You can start with 1.25mg or 2.5 mg per day and than gradually move up to 5mg which is usually a recommended dosage which gives good results and is considered safe....i am not a doctor or medical advisor so a doctor's advice is must and he/she should be the primary person to get advice from regarding medication...i hope this helps you ..

it's almost impossible to get oral minoxidil here in canada so let's say I am doing this on my own..

9 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Your beard will certainly improve with oral minoxidil for sure (and if you’re like me so will your eyebrows and ear hair 😂). I don’t think you will need to add topical minoxidil but if you don’t get any side effects then I guess it certainly won’t hurt. 

ear hair ? 🤣 wow you are one of the high responder 

10 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

It's not uncommon. I had it as a result of topical min. Not sure if it correlates to being a high responder or not. 

but is it on your ear, or inside the ear. baby hair or mature hair ?

I need to see a picture 

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Youth_Again said:

it's almost impossible to get oral minoxidil here in canada so let's say I am doing this on my own..

Than hw are you doing on your own? 

--> My Thread

2 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

Than hw are you doing on your own? 

I didn’t see any dermatologist or doctor because anyways they either won’t prescribed it, plus there is a shortage. 
i just got it from Thailand, and will ramp up the dosage as you advised 

2 hours ago, Youth_Again said:

Have you had a medical?, especially need to check your heart before taking oral minox.

Edited by ssimpson7511

20 minutes ago, Youth_Again said:

once a day or twice?

what is the reasoning behind using both ? 

Once.

Didn't want to lose my gains since I've seen some posters here say they lost their gains from topical when switching. 

On 7/13/2023 at 9:10 PM, Youth_Again said:

my heart is in a perfect shape, did some test. BPM close to 60 at rest mode

Glad your getting check up's, did you have a EKG?  And I assume you had your blood pressure checked?

8 hours ago, ssimpson7511 said:

Glad your getting check up's, did you have a EKG?  And I assume you had your blood pressure checked?

I had but long time ago, blood pressure checked more recently and results were very good. I am very active, almost everyday, either gym or cardio or soccer. 

I try to stay in shape as much as I can and will continue to do so. I am also watching my diet and weight, so I think I should be fine

Edited by Youth_Again

• 2 weeks later...