6 month after HT, 4000 grafts planted, hair still looking bad. Failed?

Hi everyone, I'm new on this forum. Exactly 6 month passed since my HT operation. 4000 grafts at total were transplanted, 500 of them were transplanted to crown area.  Transplanted hairs were looking fine before the shedding phase but now, as you can see, in left and right sides I have bald spots. I am really worried if those will fill in or this transplant is failed. Clinic says it is fine and will continue to grow but I wasn't expecting to hear anything else anyways. Is it possible that this turns out good?

Below I am sharing my before HT, just after the HT, before shedding and present photos. Please share your opinion, I will be grateful. Just to note, my hairline was lowered a bit during the HT, I am using fin daily since 2 years, 23 year old.

IMG_1159.PNG

IDpXR1689126471.jpg

mWO4E1689126441.jpg

IMG_1152.PNG

IMG_1160.PNG

IMG_1161.PNG

IMG_1162.PNG

IMG_1153.PNG

IMG_1154.PNG

IMG_1155.PNG

IMG_1156.PNG

IMG_1157.PNG

IMG_1158.PNG

The transplanted hair looks like it has been growing! But the native hair behind it either had shock loss or continued to naturally recede. In any case, it's too early to judge! Wait 12 months to see the final result. Which clinic did you go to?

• Like 2

Like KSA91 said, wait until the 12-month mark before you start to worry. Like Seneca said, "We suffer more often in imagination than reality." Or, as Mark Twain put it, "I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.” Don't suffer before you know you have reason to. Otherwise you will have suffered for no reason. Just wait.

...and I know that's easy for me to say. But it's also the right thing to do.

Based on all the posts I have read of guys worrying and then things turning out fine months later, my bet is that everything will turn out fine for you, too. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Do not judge results at 6 months. It’s too early to judge.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 5 weeks later...

It takes 3-4 months for the new hair to come in.  If you're a slow grower, this could take longer.  At 6 months everything should be out.  Vellus-like to begin.  It'll take the ensuing 8 months to mature.  You're just too early.  Like others have noted, give it a good year.

If you've shown the propensity to lose, you'll continue losing.  What are you doing to mitigate the progressive nature of this condition? 

During the procedure the doctor uses very sharp instruments and, inadvertently, can give you a haircut.  Add this to the fact that you have a great deal of contrast between the color of the hair and that of the scalp - it's not surprising you're dealing with this.  Be patient.  Do take photos in the interim.  Soon this will be a long memory.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

6 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

It takes 3-4 months for the new hair to come in.  If you're a slow grower, this could take longer.  At 6 months everything should be out.  Vellus-like to begin.  It'll take the ensuing 8 months to mature.  You're just too early.  Like others have noted, give it a good year.

If you've shown the propensity to lose, you'll continue losing.  What are you doing to mitigate the progressive nature of this condition? 

During the procedure the doctor uses very sharp instruments and, inadvertently, can give you a haircut.  Add this to the fact that you have a great deal of contrast between the color of the hair and that of the scalp - it's not surprising you're dealing with this.  Be patient.  Do take photos in the interim.  Soon this will be a long memory.  

10 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

@BotchedOrNot1

It seems as if you are loosing more of your native hairs too...are you on medication ?

I have been using finasteride 1mg for 2 years now. I used Rogaine foam for a few months before the surgery and did achieve some positive results, though not excessively dramatic. I am not currently using it as I don't wish to rely on it permanently, hoping I might not even need it. At the moment, I prefer not to reveal the clinic's name (to avoid continuous messages from the clinic), but it had a strong reputation in Turkey, in the past. Thank you all for your responses, it really helps! I will provide an update at the one-year mark.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Keep updating us, at the moment, growth looks slow. But we can’t say for sure its failed. Give it until 10 months.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hate to be a downer here but if it looks like this at 7 months it's not about to take off. Growqing your hair out will help conceal everything.

Are you on meds as others have asked? And which clinic did you go to?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

8 months update. Contacted HLC and Keser this week for a second procedure, waiting for their responses. I am sure it will get bit more better but those bald spots are not filling. How many grafts you guys think would I need? Also does my donor looks overharvested?

IMG_1999.thumb.JPG.9bd39b68301f3f8bdedbac5780d09cda.JPGIMG_1998.thumb.JPG.ec6a1e3964f771b9c9707073be9fcb77.JPGIMG_1997.thumb.JPG.77da8429f7e878da12310ec7f85b4be2.JPGIMG_2009.thumb.jpg.c0c8bb3bb3e131243b9e1e36e0981c4c.jpgIMG_2005.thumb.JPG.9d40c5521a4107251da38a79c98be9c1.JPGIMG_2004.thumb.JPG.8b1ae7dfe2c89c01ada086ef6de5c6dc.JPGIMG_2001.thumb.JPG.38cc7a073f90f91915f759d8867a988c.JPG

Where did you had the surgery done? After 4000 grafts your donor area already looks exhausted, i dont think you are a candidate for another fue procedure. Yo should wait for the 12 months mark to see the full results. If thiese gaps are still there you can use some dermmatch in oder to cover it up.

13 hours ago, jjalay said:

Where did you had the surgery done? After 4000 grafts your donor area already looks exhausted, i dont think you are a candidate for another fue procedure. Yo should wait for the 12 months mark to see the full results. If thiese gaps are still there you can use some dermmatch in oder to cover it up.

I don't want to name the clinic right now, to avoid constant calls. I can PM but for some reason i am not allowed to. Honestly I am ok with how the donor looks, just worried if another transplant would be feasible. Here are some other pictures of my donor, it looks Ok with normal lighting, but bit sparse when under harsh light. Don't know if I am being paranoid. 

IMG_2084.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

IMG_2110.jpg

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2121.PNG

Rather than focusing on a new HT, I would focus on being on medication and trying to stabilise your situation this way. If finasteride is not so effective in your case, you might want to move to dutasteride. Also, being on oral minox would help.

You are extremely young to take another 6k from your donor, as HLC suggests, just after you used 4k. You will be left with no more donor hair for the rest of your life. Please do not rush, take the meds and re-evaluate in a year or so to see where you stand. Most people experience some re-growth from meds.

7 hours ago, BotchedOrNot1 said:

HLC contaced me and said they are recommending a 3500  for the front part then 6 months later another 2500 for vertex. Don't know what to think.

Judging from your donor i dont think you have 6000 grafts available for 2 more surgeries. I think you should get evaluation from other doctors too. Try to have a consultation with Bisanga for example to get a proper evaluation.

• Like 1

Based on the post-op pics I would say the hairs grew, but the native hairs mid-scalp fell. You could try to even out the edges by going for more density behind the hairline region and go for a maturing balding crown over time.