Seems like my transplanted hair not growing at all in the first 10 days

Hello everyone,

I underwent a hair transplant 10 days ago. However, it seems that the transplanted hair is not growing at all since the day of the surgery, and it has become very noticeable now after I removed the scabs.

I have seen photos of people whose transplanted hair length closely matches the existing hair around it. At the clinic, they shaved my entire head, and during the transplant, they shaved the donor area very close before extracting the hair follicles. However, in my opinion, there is a significant difference in the length of the hair, which makes me nervous.

I will share a photo from yesterday (day 9) and a photo taken during the days immediately following the surgery. Please let me know what you think.

2023-07-10134509.png.ae210689d0d6537fa5e04f583a2d1cd8.png2023-07-10140251.png.75c3ab17764257ecac49f2e4742a4b01.png

Edited by DaniBr

• Moderators

The transplanted grafts are mostly all going to fall out over the next 2 weeks or so. New hair won't start growing until a few months.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

@DaniBr,

Honestly, I really wouldn’t worry about that. During the first 10 days, I wouldn’t expect much growth of the transplanted hair. Your scalp goes through a bit of trauma during surgery so the newly transplanted hair may or may not grow over the first 4 to 6 weeks. Between 4 to 6 weeks, most if not all of the transplanted hairs will shed.  Then there will be a couple months of essentially no visible activity on your scalp. You may experience some shock loss making your hair look little worse than it did before surgery.

Between 3 to 5 months, you will start experiencing some new hair growth of the transplanted hair.  The hairs will start to grow in thin, fine and colorless and overtime will thicken, darken and mature.

it will take approximately 12 to 18 months your results to fully mature.

I hope this timeline helps as you wait for your new transplanted hair to grow in.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

Do you have any better pictures?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I had the same thing.

Those hairs have probably already shed (and are not growing as a result), but are still stuck in your scalp and just need a little rub or tug to pull them out.  

This happened to me because I was still being careful when shampooing my head, and when I started to finally get more comfortable touching my recipient area, I was rubbing my head (after 4 weeks) these little hairs all fell out in the sink.  

On 7/12/2023 at 6:57 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Do you have any better pictures?

8.thumb.jpg.d670a1ea03e1be72452485226f07a1c9.jpg0.thumb.jpg.f5af49a458992c09d1e19fcd09eb7e5f.jpgWhatsApp2023-07-1312_48_161.thumb.jpg.6a8c534058557e3a8014509f4dd0cff4.jpgWhatsApp2023-07-1312_48_16.thumb.jpg.a19fcc106a1ffd1f99717e12ae5cc21a.jpg

here are some more photos, I see growth so i know the grafts are alive and I am lers worried.

how is the density looking?

4 hours ago, DaniBr said:

here are some more photos, I see growth so i know the grafts are alive and I am lers worried.

growth actually is just hair shafts working their way out of the body.

Edited by baldfighter

It looks fine👍

You've jumped out of the plane (surgery).

With due diligence, you have chosen your doctor wisely based on proven results (parachute).

You must follow the clinic's instructions for a safe and satisfying landing (amazing results).

ps. Worry is natural, but you ain't getting back in the plane now😁