How important is oral minoxidil after Hair Transplant?

I am a strong 2.5 norwood scale, I'll be 40 soon, I am taking Finasteride 1mg daily for a long time and now I take Dutasteride a couple of times per week so I combine both and have no problem in taking them for the rest of my life.

I have a Hair transplant of 2000 grafts scheduled for late this year for the hairline with one of the top docs, De Freitas and he recommends I add oral minoxidil to the combo, I don't want to add minoxidil into my stack and be dependent on another medication that I don't wish to take, just dont want to do it.

How important is it for the results? are there any actual studies besides anecdotal stories?What are your experiences?

• Valued Contributor

Personally, speaking for myself, oral minoxidil really helped me in terms of hair and beard 'thickness.' It also helps probably just as much in keeping the hair in the anagen growth phase longer. But if you are on finasteride 1mg daily plus Dutasteride then you are blocking MPB at the root cause. I can only tolerate topical finasteride not oral. I guess you have to ask yourself is it really worth tying yourself to another life long drug? All the best.

• Like 1

It will speed up the results that you will appear but it isn’t a deal breaker that if you don’t use it, your HT will fail.

Finasteride however is a dealbreaker. Your hair transplant will fail or come out very thin if you don’t use it especially if your donor was weak to begin with and the trauma plus DHT assault combined many hair follicles won’t make it

• Valued Contributor
8 hours ago, Moddy said:

I am a strong 2.5 norwood scale, I'll be 40 soon, I am taking Finasteride 1mg daily for a long time and now I take Dutasteride a couple of times per week so I combine both and have no problem in taking them for the rest of my life.

I have a Hair transplant of 2000 grafts scheduled for late this year for the hairline with one of the top docs, De Freitas and he recommends I add oral minoxidil to the combo, I don't want to add minoxidil into my stack and be dependent on another medication that I don't wish to take, just dont want to do it.

How important is it for the results? are there any actual studies besides anecdotal stories?What are your experiences?

I would agree with what the above posters already mentioned that minoxidil will have you with an early growth plus will keep your existing and transplanted hair in anagen phase for more which will make your hairs more fuller and thicker and that will help in more coverage and illusion of density...

But the most important drug is finasteride which you are already taking and that helps in slowing down or halting the hairloss progression...so imo this is the primary medication and minoxidil is just a cherry on top of it and i would say its kind of adding an adjective to a sentence..so its good if you take it as it complements well with  finasteride and its fine even if you ignore it and just be on finasteride...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

13 hours ago, Moddy said:

In my opinion, and I say this as someone who very much likes his results a major portion of why he would be recommending the drug is that in a period of say 6 months it can potentially greatly improve hair quality and growth, hence after a transplant it will appear as if his results are more miraculous than they actually are. 

If you don’t want to take it, then don’t. If he asks if you’re going to use it it’s probably better to just say you will but when you get home avoid it.

From what I’ve seen the drug can give quite impressive results and is obviously much  easier to deal with than topical however long term dependence on it for me personally wouldn’t be worth it.

Your transplant will be totally fine without it.