Alternatives to Topical Fin/Minox

Alex27O

Hi all,

Currently I’m on topical Finasteride/Minoxidil and have been on it for over a year with no real changes in my hair. 

I was wondering in terms of regrowth if the pill form of finasteride would be better suited? I’ve had two hair transplants but the hair is still quite thin so I was curious to hear what the community might think.

• Valued Contributor

@Alex27O Oral is better but you have to check in the side effects....but i think oral form is more convenient plus we can manage the dosage according to the need which can help hairs and cut down the side effects ...if you can find that sweet spot than its worth considering but you should consult a good doctor for that and do all the required reports and than set your dosage accordingly...

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• Valued Contributor
11 hours ago, Alex27O said:

Hi all,

Currently I’m on topical Finasteride/Minoxidil and have been on it for over a year with no real changes in my hair. 

I was wondering in terms of regrowth if the pill form of finasteride would be better suited? I’ve had two hair transplants but the hair is still quite thin so I was curious to hear what the community might think.

I think if you converted both finasteride and minoxidil to pill administration you will see greater results as the two drugs would then go systemic. All the best.

• Like 1

• Administrators

The oral form is always better, but comes with higher risk of side effects. If you want to switch start off on a low-dose of both. Move up gradually.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks everyone for the responses! 

I’ll definitely look at oral finasteride as I’m looking to grow more hair after the surgery. 

I dunno about oral minoxidil since I understand you need a doctor to monitor your heart rate? However I’d be open to it too.