Implanting correctly-angled grafts next to incorrectly-angled grafts

The left side of my hair line has a lot of grafts that almost stand up on end in a 90 degree fashion. I plan to have more grafts implanted over those grafts to camouflage without doing a whole Feriduni-style hairline removal first. 

Will this pose a problem to the growth of the new grafts if they don't respect the angle of the old ones? Because I certainly wouldn't want more of these straight up 90 degree hairs implanted to appease the old ones

• Valued Contributor

I don't think it can pose any growth issue if you implant new grafts around bad angled grafts..but it have to be implanted in such a way that everything than looks natural...still the best opinion can be given by some good repair surgeons like mwamba and feriduni and others... 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

2 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

I don't think it can pose any growth issue if you implant new grafts around bad angled grafts..but it have to be implanted in such a way that everything than looks natural...still the best opinion can be given by some good repair surgeons like mwamba and feriduni and others... 

Dr Laorwong said this this initially:

'Look from the pictures, the direction are not bad, if they are alot of grafts, may be I have to follow them, otherwise it might cut the root of existing hair.'

But once he saw these photos he said it will be difficult to correct.

Edited by RTC

• Valued Contributor
15 minutes ago, RTC said:

Dr Laorwong said this this initially:

'Look from the pictures, the direction are not bad, if they are alot of grafts, may be I have to follow them, otherwise it might cut the root of existing hair.'

But once he saw these photos he said it will be difficult to correct.

Oh so there are too many grafts which has bad direction and according to him he have to follow the direction of all the bad angled grafts ? This means now there is no possibility of implanting grafts around them and the only option is removing the bad angled grafts?

--> My Thread

19 minutes ago, RTC said:

WhatsAppImage2023-06-19at12_04_45.thumb.jpeg.79312e8880c0b75c8e0cfe713ba638bd.jpeg

The natural direction of growth isn't aligned with those arrows in my opinion. I suppose those arrows show how you want to style your hair but the natural direction goes to sides (not to the center):

image.png.fd43ff8d607f38c9d42f430b451b6229.png

4 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

Oh so there are too many grafts which has bad direction and according to him he have to follow the direction of all the bad angled grafts ? This means now there is no possibility of implanting grafts around them and the only option is removing the bad angled grafts?

He mentioned some grafts could be removed, but obviously not too many otherwise the operation now becomes two steps

3 minutes ago, hairywannabe said:

The natural direction of growth isn't aligned with those arrows in my opinion. I suppose those arrows show how you want to style your hair but the natural direction goes to sides (not to the center):

image.png.fd43ff8d607f38c9d42f430b451b6229.png

So what direction should those grafts be facing? This photo is a bit unclear

My hair generally sweeps from left to right, which I think is the case for most men

I haven't seen a signle case in which hair goes literally from left to right (or from right to left). The natural direction before and after a hair transplant looks like that imo:

image.png.25909dfe190e8598f5de86ae4a20cf15.png

You can see that on the hairline grafts are more flat than in the middle of the head.

So this whole discussion about angles is not about left to right or right to left but how vertically or how flat grafts are placed. A flat placement provides better skin coverege but it could be harder to style when hair are too short.

That's why some people with a really low hairline have to wear a haircut like this:

image.png.d95e0c7cb424cc4bd0d798cfad234c5c.png

Because their natural direction prevent them from having a hair parting totally on the side like this (it would be very hard to style):

image.png.6bfd99fed49beb87d15b2f0948391177.png

So they just let their hair to be aligned with their natural direction:

image.png.3295efdc5b232b095d67b8e2707b80ce.png

Edited by hairywannabe

• Valued Contributor

Actually the pic you shown and marked with green arrow pointing out abt how you want your grafts to grow but i think that's your left side and the hairs over there would probably grow pointing towards left only as the earlier poster mentioned 

Edited by A_4_Archan

--> My Thread

• Moderators
1 hour ago, hairywannabe said:

I wouldn't go crazy about your hair direction, some people have more vertical direction of growth, imo it's about adding more density and there is no need to correct all your grafts.

Yeah I kind of agree. You may be better off just adding a small amount of grafts along and slightly into the hairline.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.