Thoughts about Transplanting One's Hair to Another

I was wondering why transplanting someone else's hair to mine isn't discussed more. It's unlikely there'd be an organ rejection, and even if people were concerned, there's been studies to remove all immune sources in the donor follicles: https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/news/transplanting-hair-from-one-person-to-another/.  It sounds crazy, but this could essentially be a cure for those who don't have enough donor on their own.

Edited by Fox243

37 minutes ago, Turkhair said:

Mice do NOT have as complex and sophisticated immune systems like ours. 

I'm going to make a small correction.  Normal mice actually do, and they will fight off and kill most things.

LAB mice on the other hand are either engineered or treated to have essentially no immune reactions.

That being said, transplanting hair from one to another is possible, but no one would do it ethically because you'd have to knock down your patients' immune system which puts them at a very high risk of death, especially these days.  Cosmetic surgeries are not quite considered worth the risk of death.

3 hours ago, MisterBreakfast said:

I'm going to make a small correction.  Normal mice actually do, and they will fight off and kill most things.

LAB mice on the other hand are either engineered or treated to have essentially no immune reactions.

That being said, transplanting hair from one to another is possible, but no one would do it ethically because you'd have to knock down your patients' immune system which puts them at a very high risk of death, especially these days.  Cosmetic surgeries are not quite considered worth the risk of death.

in the article its stated the idea is to alter the hairfolicles so that the immune system wont fight them and consequently you wouldnt have to knock down the immune system

Just now, Gatsby said:

The easy part is finding the science to transplant hair from one person to another. The impossible part is finding someone who is willing to be your donor! 🤣😬

Exactly that, I would be looking for people who have super dense donor areas 😉

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

The easy part is finding the science to transplant hair from one person to another. The impossible part is finding someone who is willing to be your donor! 🤣😬

maybe just like eyes, they wish for their donor area to be donated when they are dead ? some healthy grafts will be there no matter the age. They can give their preference also for FUT or FUE donation beforehand.

Also maybe just like blood and sperm , donations can be taken for grafts from living persons for money and some method can be brought to preserve grafts for long.

Edited by duckling

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Good point @BRITA-XL. You would want to be very particular on whom you would choose! I would be going back through their family tree for any signs of MPB at the very least! 😉

A very understanding girlfriend 😉 oh that’s very thick hair you have, if only there was a way of thinning it out for you 👍🏽

Edited by BRITA-XL
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Good point @BRITA-XL. You would want to be very particular on whom you would choose! I would be going back through their family tree for any signs of MPB at the very least! 😉

there can be eligibility criteria set for people donating hair. If any sign of MPB then their grafts will cost less (background checks be done) and risk meter parameter can be shown to prospective buyer. If risk is lowest as graft quality best then that graft bundle cost higher. something like this for rest of grafts can be done to categorize them in different tiers: platinum, gold , silver, bronze bundle.

colour and texture of hair can be another sub-category.

Edited by duckling

14 hours ago, Fox243 said:

I was wondering why transplanting someone else's hair to mine isn't discussed more. It's unlikely there'd be an organ rejection, and even if people were concerned, there's been studies to remove all immune sources in the donor follicles: https://www.bernsteinmedical.com/news/transplanting-hair-from-one-person-to-another/.  It sounds crazy, but this could essentially be a cure for those who don't have enough donor on their own.

on a serious note, no its not possible as rejection rate is very high. so its just not worth it currently. Only if they find a way to show that someone else hair is compatible for you scientifically with some tests they come up in future,  then doing HT is worth it. Else why waste money, time and someone's hair for failed surgeries. when they can just use your donor to perform HT with success.

I know that the thing is currently impossible but I am just curious In a particular scenario.  

Say you got two 100% biological brothers. One of them is balding, the other one is not. If the non balding brother lended a few grafts to the balding one I assume the risk of rejection would still persist am I correct?

• Administrators

It’s not possible, your body will reject the hair. It would be interesting to test on identical twins. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

9 hours ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I know that the thing is currently impossible but I am just curious In a particular scenario.  

Say you got two 100% biological brothers. One of them is balding, the other one is not. If the non balding brother lended a few grafts to the balding one I assume the risk of rejection would still persist am I correct?

It’s the same as any other organ. So the same rules apply as kidney, liver transplant etc

• Like 1

This study, done on mice, removed cells responsible for the immune rejection that can happen during hair transplants from other people. These mice grew new black hair, identical to that of the donor area. These hairs survived longer than six months without being rejected from the body.“

1 hour ago, consequence said:

No one remembers this plot from Arrested Development?

In humans you would have to be on chronic immunosupressants to do this, which is about the stupidest thing imaginable.

image.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 4.21.56 PM.png

What’s funny is immunosuppressive drugs also regrow hair. Cyclosporine is really impressive and they were trying to make a topical formulation of it to avoid the immunosuppression without much success.

On 5/29/2023 at 7:43 PM, Gatsby said:

Melvin I think even in monozygotic twins the graft will be rejected.

This has already been done safely and successfully from a husband (Jahoda) to his wife: https://www.nature.com/articles/news991104-12. From my understanding, the reason it wasn't pursued was mostly because someone else's hair may not look natural on yours, but for a lot of us who have overharvested our grafts, it may be better than nothing. But I think this, like verteporfin, is something new for us to explore. Would hope for some more discussion on this paper.

Here's some more discussion -- seems that people just gave up on it for some reason: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPcap/1999-11/04/053r-110499-idx.html

Edited by Fox243

• 2 weeks later...