FUE without shaving entire head?

yes, they do this procedure as per requirement from the patient but they charge a little extra for no shave technique. 

nowadays many people ask for this as they have some client facing jobs and they cant go completely bald. 

during op and during consultation your surgeon have to part your hair a lot to see the areas in which they have to add hair so its little tricky but now they are experienced in this and with trichoscope and many other tools its not tough for them to find where to add grafts and how much grafts are needed.

the post op  care after transplant becomes a little tricky as you have long existing hair near your grafts so cleaning scabs becomes tough. its only tough for first 2 weeks after HT

note: there is also partial shave other than no shave. it all depends on type of hairloss pattern. 

Edited by duckling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, duckling said:

yes, they do this procedure as per requirement from the patient but they charge a little extra for no shave technique. 

nowadays many people ask for this as they have some client facing jobs and they cant go completely bald. 

during op and during consultation your surgeon have to part your hair a lot to see the areas in which they have to add hair so its little tricky but now they are experienced in this and with trichoscope and many other tools its not tough for them to find where to add grafts and how much grafts are needed.

the post op  care after transplant becomes a little tricky as you have long existing hair near your grafts so cleaning scabs becomes tough. its only tough for first 2 weeks after HT

I'm just wondering though isn't there a risk for the native hairs sitting at the scalp to dislodge or infect the newly implanted grafts in this scenario? I'm assuming this is part of the reason why surgeons usually go full shave mode instead of partial. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I'm just wondering though isn't there a risk for the native hairs sitting at the scalp to dislodge or infect the newly implanted grafts in this scenario? I'm assuming this is part of the reason why surgeons usually go full shave mode instead of partial. 

actually it depends on scenarios.

1) if patient wants to put hair in hairline which has existing hairs , then partial shaving in done , meaning front region is shaved for few cms and rest of hair behind it is combed back for few weeks. after that patient can just hide the redness in recipient area with hair behind it combed down .

(if hairline doesnt have existing hair meaning a bald area then its a simple implantation)

2)if patient is diffuse thinner then hair can be trimmed to a length (probably few cms) so existing hair doesnt fall down on scalp easily and implantation can be easy too. this way the existing hair can come to a certain length only few months into ht where ugly duckling phase creates less impact on look of patient.

3)if patient has complete balding in one area , example: crown. then only that area can be shaved with little bit of surrounding area shaved too and patient needs to have long existing hair which are parted away from the crown. then grafts be put into recipient area and few weeks into HT the existing hair can be used to combover the bald area.

its still very tricky for these scenarios to work but patients should be informed beforehand that result may not be as good.

i don't think existing hair can dislodge them but surely can irritate that the scalp and cause issues like difficulties in applying meds.

@Simpson21,

I know at our clinic you don’t have to shave the entire head.  That said, we do require shaving of the areas that are being transplanted and the areas that are being extracted from.  Some patients do decide to shave the entire head because to them it’s easier to conceal as it’s usually harder to keep your hair looking natural when certain parts of the scalp are shaved and others aren’t. If you’re wearing your hair longer, you may be able to comb over the shaved / transplanted area.  However, if you are wearing your hair short, it may be hard to conceal the shaved areas.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

4 minutes ago, duckling said:

actually it depends on scenarios.

1) if patient wants to put hair in hairline which has existing hairs , then partial shaving in done , meaning front region is shaved for few cms and rest of hair behind it is combed back for few weeks. after that patient can just hide the redness in recipient area with hair behind it combed down .

(if hairline doesnt have existing hair meaning a bald area then its a simple implantation)

2)if patient is diffuse thinner then hair can be trimmed to a length (probably few cms) so existing hair doesnt fall down on scalp easily and implantation can be easy too. this way the existing hair can come to a certain length only few months into ht where ugly duckling phase creates less impact on look of patient.

3)if patient has complete balding in one area , example: crown. then only that area can be shaved with little bit of surrounding area shaved too and patient needs to have long existing hair which are parted away from the crown. then grafts be put into recipient area and few weeks into HT the existing hair can be used to combover the bald area.

its still very tricky for these scenarios to work but patients should be informed beforehand that result may not be as good.

i don't think existing hair can dislodge them but surely can irritate that the scalp and cause issues like difficulties in applying meds.

Yeah I would rather just bite the bullet instead and get it shaved. It sounds horrible and it likely will but what's a few months in exchange for the rest of your life?

I am a diffuse thinner though without a hairline but lots of long wispy hairs spread out through the scalp. They do provide some coverage say 20 to 30cm2 but leave the scalp visible as a see through. 

I just hope they actually take care of those and avoid transecting them because the advantage of not having them 100% shaved is to be able to see them when implanting to prevent transection. 

Note also that the reason why we do require shaving of the donor area and recipient area is because it will help to provide you with the best result. Some surgeons may not require shaving but it’s more difficult for the surgical team to work around existing hair.

And while I know there’s a mantra that says something like “do was best for the patient and not what is easiest for the surgeon“, adding levels of complexity to a surgical procedure may ultimately impact the end result.

So at the end of the day we believe shaving is best for the patient and it has been proven that this is the case over and over again.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Valued Contributor

I believe it looks more unnatural...it is only helpful is certain scenarios like if there is mostly only crown work required and there is very less grafts required elsewhere than it can be considered or if there is a small implantation to be done to lower the hairline and native hairs are long enough to cover the area which is to be implanted so one can hide the area and look normal....other thn this scenarios i don't think its a good idea as aesthetically it looks even worse....so in terms of being surgical hurdle as well as aesthetically this thing is better to be avoided unless for some specific scenarios as mentioned above..

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

23 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Note also that the reason why we do require shaving of the donor area and recipient area is because it will help to provide you with the best result. Some surgeons may not require shaving but it’s more difficult for the surgical team to work around existing hair.

And while I know there’s a mantra that says something like “do was best for the patient and not what is easiest for the surgeon“, adding levels of complexity to a surgical procedure may ultimately impact the end result.

So at the end of the day we believe shaving is best for the patient and it has been proven that this is the case over and over again.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Just curious though. If you got a patient with 20 to 30cm2 worth of density from the front to the crown with lots of long hairs in a diffusing pattern how would you make sure to not transect those hairs upon implantation? I feel like in a way if you shave them up to a very minimal lenght at least the surgeon can see those hairs to create proper spacing between folicles. 

32 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

Yeah I would rather just bite the bullet instead and get it shaved. It sounds horrible and it likely will but what's a few months in exchange for the rest of your life?

true..i might opt for same. its just more easy for both patient and the surgeon

• Like 1

I assume if the client has recession and just wanted hair transplanted there, then there wouldnt need top be shaved as they would have no hair in that area?...apart from shaving the back for the extracted areas.

Edited by ssimpson7511