2'nd operation psychological experience - how was it for you?

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, Yan bio said:

relatively easaier? harder? less anxious (because we already know the follicles will grow eventually)?

It's both harder and easier. Harder because you have to go through the whole darn process again with another few months of ugly duckling phase. Nobody wants to do that again. Easier because you know what to expect and won't be so nervous or anxious and won't be worried about every little detail.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Agree with @BeHappy it is harder and easier. 

Easier: The surgery and post-op process may be easier because you have already gone through it. Also if you are going to the same doctor for the 2nd pass, you will have less anxiety and fear of the unknown as the doctor is no longer a mystery and you pretty much know what you are getting into

Harder: Perhaps you went into you 1st surgery extremely naive and really thought you were a "one and done" case. Perhaps you spent all your savings on the 1st surgery, bent over backwards with your boss and work to take time off, and suffered thru months and months of the ugly duckling phase. Perhaps your 1st surgery was even a terrible botch job

So now, for the 2nd round, you may have to take out a loan and be in a dicey financial position, have to awkwardly tell your boss you need another procedure, are likely a lot more jaded and cynical towards this industry, and overall just depressed that you will have to sacrifice so much money and time towards yet again another surgery. 

And then who is to say you will even be happy with just 2 surgeries? You may need 3, 4, 5, etc. 

Ultimately the psychological journey varies person by person. There are various factors affected by HR surgery, which are not the same for any 2 people. 

3 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

So now, for the 2nd round, you may have to take out a loan and be in a dicey financial position, have to awkwardly tell your boss you need another procedure, are likely a lot more jaded and cynical towards this industry, and overall just depressed that you will have to sacrifice so much money and time towards yet again another surgery. 

Anyone taking out a loan or depleting their entire savings for a HT is an insane person

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Anyone taking out a loan or depleting their entire savings for a HT is an insane person

Really? Why's that? People use credit for all kinds of things nowadays. Most new cars are financed, large electrical items, kitchens/bathrooms etc.

If a hair transplant increases mental health and possibly helps with work (due to confidence or just generally looking better), then you could almost argue it's an investment.

For full disclosure - I didn't get a loan or exhaust savings. However, I don't think it's fair to judge people who do. Who are we to say how others run their finances?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

this just contributes to the negative stigma towards males getting cosmetic procedures. Society says its ok to take out a $50k loan for a hot new car which immediately depreciates in value the moment you drive off the dealership. But take out a $15k loan for a permanent procedure which is investing in your self-esteem, confidence, etc. and will be a permanent improvement to one's life, and suddenly its being "irresponsible"

Also using a credit card for surgery is basically the same thing as taking out a loan. So I assume your comment applies to anyone who cannot pay for surgery in a 100% cash upfront manner. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

I don't agree with this. We have finite time in this world and with this finite time we should strive and seek the things that make us happy and confident whilst removing the things that make us upset, anxious and generally contribute to a low self esteem. Hair loss impacts everyone differently as other people have different thresholds with how much it plays on their confidence. We don't judge people for investing in huge amounts into hobbies like card games, car collections and expensive computers so why should investing money into someone's appearance be any different? 

There is a argument for it not being in your best financial interest, but "Insane" is a big stretch.

• Like 2

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

3 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Society says its ok to take out a $50k loan for a hot new car which immediately depreciates in value the moment you drive off the dealership.

Does society say this is okay? Regardless of whether it does or doesn't, I think going into debt or depleting your savings for a 50k car is insane too. 

3 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

But take out a $15k loan for a permanent procedure which is investing in your self-esteem, confidence, etc. and will be a permanent improvement to one's life, and suddenly its being "irresponsible"

If we ignore the fact that lots of HT's use hairs from far outside the safe area, then you're right the hairs should be "permanent". But this also ignores the fact that the vast majority of patients will need a 2nd (If not 3rd or 4th HT) down the line even if one a full stack of meds. So "permanent" in this case depends on whether you mean the follicles themselves or the satisfactory result. 

Everyone's situation is different, and I know the importance of hair. But I stick by my original statement. Maybe "insane" was too harsh of a term, but if you can't afford to pay cash I generally think you should re-consider cosmetic surgery. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli
  • Like 1

If you go to the first expecting the second then perhaps you may be anxious about getting this through for once and for all on the second go as most people do. If your first wasn't a hit then you will likely be more anxious as well as a result. 

It all depends on the circumstances, results and expectations of the first.