Can Hot compress damage grafts

Hi I’m a little concerned as is there such a thing as a compress being too hot as I have been using hot compressants twice a day for pimples In the last month. (I’m 2 months post fue) is there any cause for concern that hot compressants may of damaged grafts. 

It all depends on when this is done post-op…IMHO, hot compresses are not necessary but if it were me, I would wait until the full regrowth of my grafts have occurred and even then, a warm compress not a hot one

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

22 hours ago, gillenator said:

It all depends on when this is done post-op…IMHO, hot compresses are not necessary but if it were me, I would wait until the full regrowth of my grafts have occurred and even then, a warm compress not a hot one

Hi gillenator I have been doing the hot compress’s from the 1 month mark (I’m now at the 2 month mark). Mostly for trapped skin/hair fragments causing red small pimple type spots with no head. 

With out the skin being burnt or very red  after doing the compress’s do you think that a hot compress could have damaged the grafts underneath and possibly jeopardised the end result?? I may get as done these compresses once or twice daily for 3 weeks. 

24 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

I would err on the safe side and despite the acne, hold off on the hot compresses and put the transplant recovery itself first. Pimples often are a common part of the surgical post op as well. All the best. 👍

Thanks Gatsby I will stop the compresses just hope that I have not caused any damage. 🥺

@ocean,

Unless you are literally putting rags in boiling water and then putting it on your head, you shouldn’t have any problems that affect transplanted hair growth. That said, you may experience some discomfort if it’s too hot and you may cause inflammation of the scalp if you do it too frequently.

Rest assured, the newly transplanted grafts are deeply secured underneath the surface of the scalp and have been since approximately one week postop.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

10 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

10 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@ocean,

Unless you are literally putting rags in boiling water and then putting it on your head, you shouldn’t have any problems that affect transplanted hair growth. That said, you may experience some discomfort if it’s too hot and you may cause inflammation of the scalp if you do it too frequently.

Rest assured, the newly transplanted grafts are deeply secured underneath the surface of the scalp and have been since approximately one week postop.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thanks for the response really appreciate it 🤩

Edited by ocean