Bernstein and Rassman's Graft Dislodge Study

Hey all! Wanted to start a discussion around this study: Graft Anchoring in Hair Transplant Surgery (2006) (bernsteinmedical.com)

The study showed: "The study showed that for the first two days, pulling on a hair always resulted in a lost graft, but the chance of the graft being removed started to decrease by the third day. By the sixth day pulling on a hair would no longer dislodge the graft. Pulling on an adherent scab always resulted in a lost graft through day five, with the incidence decreasing through day eight. However, by nine days post-op, grafts were no longer at risk of being dislodged."

Wouldn't this mean...

1.) At day 9/10 you can wear a hat with no risk of it being dislodged?
2.) At day 10 you can exercise (lift, run) with no risk of the graft being dislodged through increased blood pressure and heart rate?
3.) At day 10 you could begin normal shampoo?

Seems like a lot of clinics have over strict and arbitrary guidelines, so I am curious one's thoughts. This is the only research based article I could find.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

After 10 days your grafts are secured. Everything beyond that is being extra cautious.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

i understand you have had a hair transplant and are anxious about all the ways you can possibly mess up post op, but rest assured it takes a lot to mess up and dislodge a grafts. If you hit your head hard on to a cupboard or getting into the car thats the amount of force that will disoldge a graft. 

If you use basic common sense your hair follicles are not just going to jump out of the scalp on their own, not even if you touch them, or walk in the wind or what have you.

Relax man.

• Like 1

I have read several threads on this, including discussion of this study and find it so interesting how the advice varies so greatly between surgeons. Dr. Bloxham is adamant about starting to shower and gently wash the area by hand with shampoo on day 4.  Others say don’t touch it for two weeks.