Sweating

Hey everyone, sorry if this is a stupid question but does excessive sweating have any damaging effects on grafts?

I'm on day 6 now and can resume exercising. When I exercise, I'm one of those guys that sweat profusely (think Patrick Ewing in the 4th quarter). I was thinking of using the stationary bike today but I was wondering if it was safe to do so considering how much I sweat.

Hey everyone, sorry if this is a stupid question but does excessive sweating have any damaging effects on grafts?

I'm on day 6 now and can resume exercising. When I exercise, I'm one of those guys that sweat profusely (think Patrick Ewing in the 4th quarter). I was thinking of using the stationary bike today but I was wondering if it was safe to do so considering how much I sweat.

I know the feeling of wanting to get back into physical activity. That is a persistent quesiton I had going into my procedure and even in the month(s) following my procedure.

There are a variety of opinions regarding returning to exercising. The most aggressive is probably waiting the 10-days for the grafts to be fully secured, then to begin ramping up your workout. A more conservative approach I used, considering my doc recommended one month before returning to the gym, was I waited six weeks.

The concern for me was stretching the scar. I realize it can happen even several months out (I have heard even at six months it can stretch!?!), so I didn't want to take a chance as I lift fairly heavy weights. It was tough not to work out, but well worth it considering the investment. And your body could probably use the rest from the beating you probably give it!

In terms of sweating, after 10-days the grafts are secure so sweating should be ok, but again with the investment made a little babying for a little period of time wouldn't hurt.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

i would wait also at least 10 days. Sweating is not risky, just be careful/gentle when you wipe the sweat.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I would wait a couple more weeks at least. When I asked about working out, Dr. Cooley specifically mentioned trying not to sweat for several days; 10 I think.

But, you've got the rest of your life to exercise, so why risk it? Besides, even Stallone has gone extended periods of time with no exercise to get ready for a movie....(ever see him in that fat cop movie?)

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

They do say not to excercise at all for at between 10 days and a month! I really would reccomend this, I haven't had an HT but I have had enough experience with head injuries (skiied into a tree, bad news!) to know that when doctors say don't do it, really don't! I got my head stiched up, ignored them, it re-opened 10 days later while excercising, and wasn't pretty. I know th itch to get back excercising is strong, but equally, you've gotta take care of yourself, and your new hair.

Take at least 10 days, then go in gently.

Cue,

They're all right. After 10-12 days your grafts are secure and sweating wouldn't affect them.

Even before the 10-12 days mark, minute bits of moisture (perspiration) which is a product of your own body should not affect your own grafts.

Just like if you get a cut on your hand and there is perspiration around it, it does not affect the healing process.

I am not a doctor, but perhaps the perspiration may actually have some healing properties...who knows.

The important thing is that you wash the scalp as the doctor has instructed you to, to minimize residue build up.

take care...