Dateline NBC Tonight on now hair loss subject and cures

Hi all, there is a show on dateline on NBC tonight at 8pm. It is about 6 guys who are balding. Each one try's a different so called cure including HT. Its on now. I wonder who the doc will be.

Hi all, there is a show on dateline on NBC tonight at 8pm. It is about 6 guys who are balding. Each one try's a different so called cure including HT. Its on now. I wonder who the doc will be.

Fabe, you beat me to it! I was just about to post about the segment on dateline. 5 different guys, 5 different techniques. Laser comb, rogaine, propecia, viviscal (a fish oil thing from Finland), and a transplant by Dr. Bauman?? I've never heard of him? Anyway, they checked back 6 months later, and obviously the transplant blew the others away. The people out there still have the "doll hair" notion in their minds when they think of transplantation, hopefully this will shed some light on the subject.

The guy had 1700 grafts at $10,000 which is a little pricey if you ask me, but the doc did a pretty good job from what I saw. The guy taking propecia also did pretty well, especially considering propecia needs a year to fully kick in, and he was only taking it 6 months. Anyway, just thought I'd let everyone know.

I'm a little over 3 months post-op from Dr. Epstein and things are going pretty damn well, I'll post some pictures at 6 months. Ya know it's funny, I feel somewhat privlaged that we all have this website for everyone to use. We know 100x more than the average person about hairloss, and how great a transplant can be. It was like Dateline was tredding on our turf, haha. Ok everyone that's it for now, take care.

Jeff Bowers

Yes jr1, the doc did well and I am not an expert about temple work, but with all the hair he grew, my wife said he still looked balding because of his temples.

Wow, you guys are on the ball!

I watched it too. I have to say that I was more than a little impressed with the lasercomb (though the jury is definitely still out).

Fabe, his temples will grow in a little more by 12 months I think (or hope for the guy). The graft placement looked pretty tight from what I could tell. I think that it was 1900 grafts.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

It was either 1800 or 1900 grafts he received. I was impressed with how Dateline handled the whole show. I was watching with my parents and I caught myself yelling out "I did that!" or "I remember going through this when I had my transplant!". The whole fish herbal vitamin crap was a scam for that one guy if you ask me. And the propecia did good for 6 months, they just didn't give it time to kick in. Did anyone else hear them say that 6 months from tonight they're going to do a follow up show to see how the same people are progressing? I can't wait. I am going to make a note so I won't have any plans that night! lol

Yes, the HT looked the best and will continue to fill in the next 6 months. The LAser comb surprised me the most-- it actually looked as good in improvement as the 2nd propecia guy (the other propecia guy who also combo with rogaine didnt regain anything but it looked like his hairloss stopped)

I might read up a little on this laser comb... The guy who was trying it said earlier in the show he had a friend who had been using it of a year and the results were incrediable??

As a side note... What was up with the HT surgeon using a blow dryer on the grafts during surgery??? It was real brief when they were showing the patients recepeint area and the nurse was behind with a standard blow dryer over his head? This is a major NO NO, you do not want to clot the blood in the recepient area during surgery--- you actually want to keep the area moist for the first 3 days. Plus heat can KILL the grafts (that is why when they disect they keep the grafts in saline until transplant for they will not dry out)

for those of us who missed it..

you can read the transcripts here.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6590766/

And along with those many myths, there are plenty of wacky ideas on how to grow hair. Our five have heard about some outlandish cures too.

Paul: "I was told have a cow lick your head."

Stafford: "Have you tried it?"

Paul: "No, it's crossed my mind."

I never tried that!...............

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

I was actually most interested in the lasercomb... I had thought it was just another fly-by-night scam, but the results were there for the guy - it didnt regrow, but the hair he has got thicker.. That is just what I'm looking for, in addition to blocking DHT, etc. If all the hair I still have just got thicket and healthy, I'd be more than happy !

I was impressed with the lasercomb too. After seeing those results, I'm willing to become a lasercomb guinea pig.

I found one called the HairMax LaserComb at drugstore.com for $645. Does anyone know if that was the same brand used on Dateline?

If so, I'll buy it and post before/after pics.

My results won't be attributable exclusively to the Lasercomb though, since I've been using Propecia/Minox for approx. 6 months and the results are starting to kick in.

I thought this quote was pretty funny though:

"But Paul hopes that will soon change and someday he'll be able to relive his teenage years, when he had hair almost as long as the singers in his then favorite rock group, "Quiet Riot."

The Quiet Riot singer has hair that comes courtesy of Mr. Sy Sperling LOL

Jr1,

The surgeon featured was Dr. Allan Baumann based out of Boca Raton. FL. There have been other national programs that have featured him. He is also doing some FUE procedures although I do not think he has been doing FUE for very long. The examples I have seen of his work looked really good and I did have the opportunity to speak with him about a month ago. My impression is he is a leader in applying and making available all treatment options including the laser therapy. He is someone coming up in the ranks, and my guess is that we will be hearing more about him. I believe Pat knows of Dr. Baumann too and he does have a very comprehensive website.

Smoothy,

I believe the hair dryer was briefly utilized to minimize the "glare" of the scalp when the scalp was wet and being filmed. I saw this before during a live surgery workshop. I do not believe any damage was done because once the grafts are placed, the clotting process begins immediately and holds the grafts in place until healing of the dermis layer begins. Then the tranplanted follicules will re-establish their blood supply. I suppose too much drying could eventually dry out the top of the grafts but the follicules are imbedded into the soft tissue in the dermis layer. Keeping the epidermis in a moist environment for three days post-op is good as you suggested for the purpose of minimizing scar matter formation, but I believe the follicules themselves are not affected once placed and held by clotting. In other words that brief drying should not affect the yield. Personally, I do not think I would want a hair drier utilized during my procedure. I mean the tissue that remains above the scalpline will dry out soon enough and turn into crusts, but I think I would prefer them to do this after applying Graftcyte in the first week following the procedure.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY