FUE in temporal scars

MMC

hair2.thumb.jpeg.78f2e0d9482fed76efc6da5ef1157647.jpegHi all, 

I have scarring in my hairline due to previous surgery. I have had two quotes done for FUE. One using Neograft and the other 'micro' FUE. My biggest fear is my current situation becoming worse if the hair transplant surgery isn't successful. What is the possibility of this happening? The doctor and technician advised that the worst case scenario is that the donor site isn't improved much but that it won't be any worse than my current situation. Is this correct? I'm also that if I have shock loss in the recipient site it's going to be really obvious for a 6 months or so. Has anyone hair transplants in a similar area of scar tissue. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

hair.jpeg

• Valued Contributor

I’ve had a linear scar running along my hairline transplanted into to hide it. The scar came about from from several surgeries to remove pinch grafts as well as further scar excisions to reduce the width of the scar. I’ve also had donor farming with beard and pubic hair transplanted into donor scars as well. It can be done successfully. 

Very difficult challenge for sure but some doctors will take on that challenge.  Keep us posted.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• Moderators

It can be done, but it very much matters who does the procedure. Don't go to anyone using Artas. I'm also not liking that "micro FUE" term. I feel like anyone actually doing true FUE would not be calling it that. That sounds more like mini grafts which is far outdated. I also don't agree with the worst thing is that it won't be any worse. If you go to a Dr who doesn't understand how to transplant at the correct angles to match the surrounding area or if they use larger multi hair grafts, you could certainly look worse than you do now. I am not trying to scare you out of doing anything. I'm just trying to help you get educated and make sure you do it right.

I don't know if I'd worry too much about shock loss as you don't have any hair in the spots you want to cover anyway, so there shouldn't be much loss.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 2 weeks later...

@MMC,

Transplanting hair into areas of scarring is always a bit more complicated and difficult than working in normal, regular areas of a scalp. The truth is,  due to the lack of vascularity, hair has a harder time growing through scarring tissue.  That said, as long as you’ve selected a surgeon with a proven track record producing outstanding results, there’s a good chance that if the surgeon feels it’s appropriate to operate, that you’ll see improvement.

The key here is making sure you select a surgeon with a proven track record of producing outstanding results. The reason for this is because an experience and skilled surgeon will evaluate your case and determine whether or not it’s appropriate to transplant.  Just keep in mind that generally speaking there are surgeons out there that will operate under any condition simply because it benefits them and isn’t what’s best for the patient.

The above is a general precaution as a surgeon will need to evaluate all the details surrounding your case in order to  fully evaluate whether or not you’re a good candidate for repair surgery.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.