Oral minoxidil for beard and body hair

Question for those who have used oral minoxidil (for at least 6 months, preferably): have you noticed excess body hair or beard hair growth that you attribute to the minoxidil? It’s commonly accepted that topical minox can grow hair on the areas it’s applied to. So I am interested in if anyone can personally attest to similar effects in the systemic oral version.

Also interested if you’ve noticed minoxidil, oral or topical, affecting skin health and quality.

I've been on 1mg oral finasteride + oral minoxidil for 3 weeks (2.5mg the first two, switched 5mg due to no side effects) and I'm noticing fuller eyebrows, even my mom commented on it. I hope it gives me full, thick eyebrows and new beard hairs. Will report back in 5-6 months.

Atm, 0 effects on skin health and quality (and evidence suggests there shouldn't be any). I follow a strict skincare routine and diet tho.

"Mature hairline" is euphemism for balding.

@Rafael Manelli,

This is a good post and an interesting question.  This is my opinion based on the limited research I’ve done on oral minoxidil.  

Just as topical minoxidil is designed to thicken and regrow hair in areas it’s  applied to, in theory, oral minoxidil may thicken existing hair not just on the scalp, but all over the body.  This may be considered a benefit for some and a potential side effect for others. Because of this possible reality, women may not want to use oral minoxidil as many Women take a steps to illuminate body hair rather than attempt to thicken it up. On the other hand, as noted on this topic, it could potentially thicken semi eyebrows or other areas where hair is wanted but is currently thinner.

All that to say, I don’t know how effective oral minoxidil is in general and have my doubts about its efficacy as a whole. However, like topical minoxidil, I’m sure it works for some people although I would still think topical minoxidil would be much more effective.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.