Influencer Insanity - FUT Edition

apejuice

I was browsing YouTube while enjoying my morning tea and was greeted with this video: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/kAuLh3TXHSw

The common notion is that most butchers are Turkish FUE mills but this being FUT combined with the guy in the video driving home makes me quite sure this was done in the United States. Is anyone able to recognise what "surgeon" might be responsible for this? I feel bad for the guy and would love to know who is responsible so I know who to avoid.

• Like 1

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, apejuice said:

nvm did some digging and found that in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6CQFz6rFdI

They show the clinic, it's NaturalTransplants in Ft Lauderdale. 

Do a little more digging on that clinic. They perform minigraft surgery. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

8 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

In the current year?? Lord...
I couldn't find much about this clinic on this forum but perhaps I'm searching wrong, Facebook and Google reviews all weirdly positive. Is this a known clinic on this site?

• Like 1

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, apejuice said:

In the current year?? Lord...
I couldn't find much about this clinic on this forum but perhaps I'm searching wrong, Facebook and Google reviews all weirdly positive. Is this a known clinic on this site?

There have been a few discussions about them, none positive. This clinic stems from Dr. Bolton “max harvest” which was essentially mini graft surgery. They’ve got a YouTube channel, though, I believe they stopped showing graft placement photos because they were called out. 

Turkey gets a bad rep, rightfully so, but I would say the US has just as many terrible clinics and hair mills. I would rather go to a hair mill in Turkey than one of these mini graft strip places.

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

His hair looks like crap, guess some people just happy they get more hair. But the hairline is not dense.. looks like he’s still thinning hair in the front.. and that fut scar doesn’t look pencil thin.

That donor area, don’t it’s going to recover. And might need some work to fix.

Why would they even advertise this.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

What is minigraft surgery?

I am well aware of Natural Transplants in Fort Lauderdale and always wondered why they always have such piss poor results. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

23 minutes ago, stephcurry30 said:

What is minigraft surgery?

I am well aware of Natural Transplants in Fort Lauderdale and always wondered why they always have such piss poor results. 

It means they’re too lazy to dissect the grafts into follicular units, instead leaving many of them extra chunky. They use grafts with 5 to 12 hairs in them and say it gives you extra density.

• Thanks 1

Did you spit your tea out? I unfortunately was a victim of one these American chopshops where they sell the FUT as still being the gold standard. Strangely enough I'm pretty sure my doctor had connections to some other doctors at Natural Transplants. Like they trained together at a predecessor company that was later purchased by Bosley (another notorious provider). 

And my first doctor had me drive home after the procedure too. 

Yeah, so I learned my lesson. Always get multiple opinions and unless multiple profiled doctors recommend FUT for your situation, then run. Virtually all procedures should be FUE

• Like 2

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

10 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

There have been a few discussions about them, none positive. This clinic stems from Dr. Bolton “max harvest” which was essentially mini graft surgery. They’ve got a YouTube channel, though, I believe they stopped showing graft placement photos because they were called out. 

Turkey gets a bad rep, rightfully so, but I would say the US has just as many terrible clinics and hair mills. I would rather go to a hair mill in Turkey than one of these mini graft strip places.

I was going to say, these guys take Turkish mills on a run for their money. I should've gone to a Turkish hair mill, I'd get the same disappointing result but no unnecessary scar. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mavigo said:

Did you spit your tea out? I unfortunately was a victim of one these American chopshops where they sell the FUT as still being the gold standard. Strangely enough I'm pretty sure my doctor had connections to some other doctors at Natural Transplants. Like they trained together at a predecessor company that was later purchased by Bosley (another notorious provider). 

And my first doctor had me drive home after the procedure too. 

Yeah, so I learned my lesson. Always get multiple opinions and unless multiple profiled doctors recommend FUT for your situation, then run. Virtually all procedures should be FUE

Just to be fair, this isn’t FUT. This is 1980s style predecessor to FUT, the mini-micro graft strip surgery

@Rafael Manelli I had to intensely google minigrafting to understand:

https://www.seagerhairtransplant.com/hair-transplantation/historical-developments/older-methods/#:~:text=Mini grafts are generally prepared,needle%2C or a similar device.

Why is this ancient method still being used? Someone on this forum went to Natural Transplants and then had to get a repair from H&W

6 minutes ago, mavigo said:

@Rafael Manelli I had to intensely google minigrafting to understand:

https://www.seagerhairtransplant.com/hair-transplantation/historical-developments/older-methods/#:~:text=Mini grafts are generally prepared,needle%2C or a similar device.

Why is this ancient method still being used? Someone on this forum went to Natural Transplants and then had to get a repair from H&W

It saves time and supposedly gives better density. You can be the judge of that. 

• Thanks 1

@Rafael Manelli What it does do is limit your hairstyle options significantly. Strip surgery is very short sighted, it assumes you'll wear your hair long for the rest of your life.

That dude probably realizes it now as I watched a more recent video of that couple had he had his hair short and you can see the scar right through it. 

Edited by mavigo

2 hours ago, mavigo said:

@Rafael Manelli What it does do is limit your hairstyle options significantly. Strip surgery is very short sighted, it assumes you'll wear your hair long for the rest of your life.

That dude probably realizes it now as I watched a more recent video of that couple had he had his hair short and you can see the scar right through it. 

You do need some length if you get a strip 

You should expect to wear it at least a centimeter at the back

• Like 1

@Rafael Manelli Yeah it's a huge draw back and I never should've gone the FUT route. But I never really cut my hair short but basically now I can't cut my hair short even if I started wanting to. However, to me it's counter intuitive to get a transplant and wear your hair shot. Long hair doesn't look good on balding, so if I get a second chance at hair, I'm going to grow it long. 

It always gets me when guys with no hair loss buzz their hair. If you're lucky enough to wear it long, then I'd take advantage but that's just me. 

@UnfortunatePatient There's no regulation in this field and no bans on outdated procedures. It's buyer beware. It's scary places like this are out there because once you get chopped, you're chopped. You have a huge scar on the back of your head that prevents you from wearing short hair. FUT really should be the extreme last resort. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mavigo said:

@Rafael Manelli Yeah it's a huge draw back and I never should've gone the FUT route. But I never really cut my hair short but basically now I can't cut my hair short even if I started wanting to. However, to me it's counter intuitive to get a transplant and wear your hair shot. Long hair doesn't look good on balding, so if I get a second chance at hair, I'm going to grow it long. 

It always gets me when guys with no hair loss buzz their hair. If you're lucky enough to wear it long, then I'd take advantage but that's just me. 

@UnfortunatePatient There's no regulation in this field and no bans on outdated procedures. It's buyer beware. It's scary places like this are out there because once you get chopped, you're chopped. You have a huge scar on the back of your head that prevents you from wearing short hair. FUT really should be the extreme last resort. 

I think your problems are more to do with Dr Holt being shoddy than FUT as a method 

8 minutes ago, UnfortunatePatient said:

I think it is not even about the FUT it self. Even though they did absolutely horrendous work with the scar. The minigraft is just soo outdated and wrong approach. I feel like this field should be strictly regulated.

I don't think their problem is just minigrafts. Some doctors eg Dr Beehner I believe still use them in some cases. 

The problem is broader than that with these guys. Multi blade scalpels, lack of microscope usage, poor yield... 

On 4/17/2023 at 10:14 AM, Rafael Manelli said:

I think your problems are more to do with Dr Holt being shoddy than FUT as a method 

Yes, Dr. Holt is a terrible doctor but a good liar. No, even the best physician's FUT scars are still quite visible on shorter hair. A scar is a scar. 

I think it should only be used if an FUE is not a viable option. 

2 hours ago, mavigo said:

Yes, Dr. Holt is a terrible doctor but a good liar. No, even the best physician's FUT scars are still quite visible on shorter hair. A scar is a scar. 

I think it should only be used if an FUE is not a viable option. 

There are a lot of legitimate arguments for strip in many cases 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Go on...

1 hour ago, Rafael Manelli said:

I certainly regret getting an FUT procedure, but I can see that some people prefer strip procedures, especially for women who tend to keep the hair a longer length . 

Edited by ostein
  • Like 1