Anagen Desynchronisation is this a real thing?

Hey there, I had a hair transplant 11 months ago, and around month 9 my hair was so thick, it was like when I was 18 years old again, I am now 52.

To say I was eleated is an understatement, it was amazing, I always dreamt of having think hair  and I almost had to pinch myself check it was reality.

last month  month 10 sinc my transplant I was in Bali and I looked in the mirror and I. noticed my hair was thinner, you could easily see my scalp it was and is a lot thinner.

I sent a photo of my 9 month photo and the current to Dr Sethi at Eugenix and he said don’t  worry that is Anagen Desynchronisation which means  all my hairs where showing at the 9 month and now 20% of them are in a different phase.

Here is the video they sent me

If you look at the pictures of the person in this video, his hair looks pretty   average even after the transplant  nothing like the before and after photos I saw prior to my surgery, also this is the first time I have heard about this phenomenon.

The other thing I suppose I worried about is that I stopped taking my topical fin and minoxinal, so now I have started  again and hope it thickens up.

I really thought it would take 12 months or m ore to get the final result and not 9 months and then go backwards, has anyone else experienced this?

• Valued Contributor

Anagen desynchronization is a real thing. When you have the added augmentation of beard grafts the desynchronization takes on another aspect as well as beard hair has a shorter anagen phase than scalp hair too. But over all you need to remember that the hair grafts that you paid for are not dying off. They are just reshuffling for want of a better phrase. However the overall appearance of a well executed hair transplant will still prevail regardless.

• Like 3

Video is well done for sure.

I suppose it’s best to expect this going in and think in your mind “ok…this is likely to happen and when it does, I can then choose to go back for a density session to add back what occurred as a result of this phenomenon.” 

That’s the mantra I’m going with being close to 6 months post HT.

Hunh, I'd never heard of this before. I knew that at any given time, about 10% of hair is in telogen but in a full head of hair, that would always look healthy.

I imagine that if you have 'just enough' coverage that 10-20% hit could really make a difference. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

No I’m on about month 18 after my first HT

Well, it’s not the same thing that’s happening to @Aussie2020, in the eighth/ninth month, the hair should still be all synchronized in the same way.

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, ITA said:

Well, it’s not the same thing that’s happening to @Aussie2020, in the eighth/ninth month, the hair should still be all synchronized in the same way.

You seem a little confused by what I’m saying… My own results definitely felt at their thickest/most dense around 9-10 months post op. And I’ve noticed things looks and feel less thick in the last couple of months. 

Our timelines might be a bit different but the general experience of a anagen desynchronisation is the same. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Berba11 said:

Sembri un po' confuso da quello che sto dicendo... I miei risultati si sono decisamente sentiti al loro massimo/più denso circa 9-10 mesi dopo l'operazione. E ho notato che le cose sembrano e si sentono meno spesse negli ultimi due mesi. 

Le nostre tempistiche potrebbero essere leggermente diverse, ma l'esperienza generale di una de disturbi anagen è la stessa. 

No, I'm not confused, it's just that @Aussie2020sees his hair less thick 10 months after the transplant (and it seems strange to me that it is in the anagen phase), while you who are 18 months after the transplant and say you see it less thick since two months (so more or less 16 months after the transplant) it is very likely that you are going through the Desynchronization phase.

Edited by ITA

I will share some photos

Firt picture is the 9 month Markoski, second is at the 11 month  and 3rd photo is at the 12 month Markoski, right now, I have been using a mixture of topical minoxidil and Finasteride for the last 30 days and I think it looks slightly thicker now but nothing like what it was at 9 month Markoski, my hair is a little longer I will cut it today and see what difference that makes.

49498C95-D343-4B68-8C1C-25166A1928E7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5a024f83a6f89b438299564d9081cc5c.jpeg

f4ab7fac-3c8a-47e6-b9c9-f072c2c7ebdf.jpeg

7123c3c1-4eff-4c44-b2c7-47aaf3fdb7c7.jpeg

IMG_3329.jpeg

Edited by Aussie2020
photo was too low res

• 7 months later...
On 4/13/2023 at 8:21 PM, Aussie2020 said:

I will share some photos

Firt picture is the 9 month Markoski, second is at the 11 month  and 3rd photo is at the 12 month Markoski, right now, I have been using a mixture of topical minoxidil and Finasteride for the last 30 days and I think it looks slightly thicker now but nothing like what it was at 9 month Markoski, my hair is a little longer I will cut it today and see what difference that makes.

49498C95-D343-4B68-8C1C-25166A1928E7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.5a024f83a6f89b438299564d9081cc5c.jpeg

f4ab7fac-3c8a-47e6-b9c9-f072c2c7ebdf.jpeg

7123c3c1-4eff-4c44-b2c7-47aaf3fdb7c7.jpeg

IMG_3329.jpeg

I had the exact and I mean exact issue.   Same hairline. Same looking loss too.     Did it ever get better? 

• 1 month later...

This is an alternative explanation related to stopping medication and harvesting from the 'unsafe' donor area....  I don't know which is the most plausible explanation, they all have merit, so I thought I would share a different perspective.

I think yes it’s a real thing and makes sense. But there’s also other factors in place which can be attributed to other things too. For example there’s a possibility when harvested grafts were damaged. They subsequently grew but later died off. 

Edited by ScottishGuy21