Lighting is EVERYTHING!

• Administrators

I wanted to take this time to remind you guys that lighting is super important when it comes to reviewing before and after photos. 

These two pictures were taken the same time, same room, the only difference is the lighting.

Facing away from light source5FFE53AB-DEE6-4B61-9410-FDCE788BFA77.jpeg

Light source above but not in front of thinning zone.

1DDA7D38-A428-4D53-88F3-397129923AB4.jpeg

Light facing thinning area

08121780-3F53-4785-B624-FF207567A633.jpeg

Keep that in mind when you look at surgeon reviews and clinics before and after pictures. Harsh lighting can expose weaknesses, dim lighting can mask them.

• Like 6

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It’s very clear that both patients and definitely clinics use lighting to enhance a result. On the other hand I also know that personally I actually avoid really strong lighting in day to day life. I absolutely hate strong overhead lighting at the gym for example, and try and avoid it as much as possible. 
In terms of presenting a result though it’s Important to show it in different scenarios.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Than why don't we set a standard over here to move a step ahead which will be very helpful to all the people here...we can set such standard and a good doctor will not mind such standards...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

When doing remote consults/assessments this was abundantly clear. 

I was asked to stand outside in the sun and take pictures from above. It made such a difference from 'normal' photos.

The same goes for wet hair shots, which were also requested.  It was clear to see my original hair loss pattern even though it's not possible normally.

Yes all different combination of Lighting (eg sunlight, led bulbs, harsh, mild, low etc ) and all the possible combination of different angles at which other human eyes and our own eyes look at the scalp, Lighting + different viewing angles + different hair styles..

for me the dotted lined bumps (from 1 st hair transplant ) are clearly visible in different real life lighting scenarios as light entered my scalp easily whereas in some photos it looks perfectly fine but in some lighting conditions people can easily find the mistake as human eyes are very powerful 

Edited by WoundedWolf

Excellent thread, should be pinned.

There's no excuse for clinics to not present proper before and afters taken in the same angles, with the same lighting and using good cameras.

No good pics = bad clinic, regardless of reputation and price.

"Mature hairline" is euphemism for balding.

Ironically, there are very few clinics who repeat the same before (usually high indicating many flaws) and after lighting (usually low making the transplant look more full). Some often go out of their way to even hide showing certain parts of the results, esp the crown. Many doctors who engage in these practices are even recommended here…

We need more transparent doctors who use high quality cameras. 

22 hours ago, Rafael Manelli said:

We should have higher standards for lighting in before AND after shots posted by clinics. It really does make all the difference.

Even if lighting is good, still angles , wet/dry hairs, specific hairstyles , camera resolution difference can be used so very well to hide the results. Only a patient can part his hair , make them wet, take photos from different angles with good camera so we can zoom in and see graft by graft. No clinic will post a outdoor pic btw. Sun can expose so much but they technically don't have to show this as photos are taken at clinic. They can very much use it in pre-op photo though as youtube video thumbnail 😄 .

There are more ways to manipulate, one example:

If you see FUT videos then main worry is donor scar right? The scar might be thin in some place and thick in some place along the scar line. They will cleverly comb it and show the part where its very thin and tell you its scarless. Only the patient can tell you honest answer as that scar affects him when cutting the hair near the scar. He will have to tell the barber what length he wants there else its gonna expose his scared area. So, I don't think patient will hide scar stretching (due to much bigger strip taken by clinic, than recommended). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duckling said:

Even if lighting is good, still angles , wet/dry hairs, specific hairstyles , camera resolution difference can be used so very well to hide the results. Only a patient can part his hair , make them wet, take photos from different angles with good camera so we can zoom in and see graft by graft. No clinic will post a outdoor pic btw. Sun can expose so much but they technically don't have to show this as photos are taken at clinic. They can very much use it in pre-op photo though as youtube video thumbnail 😄 .

There are more ways to manipulate, one example:

If you see FUT videos then main worry is donor scar right? The scar might be thin in some place and thick in some place along the scar line. They will cleverly comb it and show the part where its very thin and tell you its scarless. Only the patient can tell you honest answer as that scar affects him when cutting the hair near the scar. He will have to tell the barber what length he wants there else its gonna expose his scared area. So, I don't think patient will hide scar stretching (due to much bigger strip taken by clinic, than recommended). 

All of this is true but none of it is an excuse. Clinics owe it to present results in the most honest way

• Administrators
2 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

08121780-3F53-4785-B624-FF207567A633.jpe

to be fair that is teh most brutal angle, especially with lightening because the hair grows "away" from the camera, even asian children can look like they are thinning at the crown from that angle with lightening

It is a very brutal angle, but many people will see my initial pictures and think that’s the way it always looks. It’s all about showing the public how lighting can change things for better or worse. It’s also important, because some people only show the worst angles, and to me, that isn’t exactly being fair either. There should be a balance, multiple angles in various settings and lighting. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Great topic.

Lighting can be your best friend or worst enemy!

I can see why clinics do it and unless you have a reasonable understanding of hair loss / transplantation it can quite easily deceive. I’m not saying that’s right but the industry is cut throat and unfortunately it’s the nature of the beast.

As for us patients, personally I’m always open and honest. I’ve posted direct photos in very harsh sunlight as well as indoors on my own thread.