Hat / Working out

JH225

Hello, 

I am on day 11 after having the FUE done. Hair is in place but the rest of my head is a little un-proportional since they had to shave more off the back and I cannot get a haircut yet. I am a bit self conscious and go into the office everyday. Will wearing a hat in the office and also wearing one while working out effect the growth of my grafts?

@JH225,

At 11 days postop, your newly transplanted hair is deeply rooted and the follicles are secured underneath the surface of the scalp.  As a result, there’s nothing you can do apart from undergoing surgery to remove the newly transplanted follicles. Moreover, it would be very difficult at this point to prevent the transplanted hair from taking its natural course.  This includes  shedding of the transplanted hair between 4 to 6 weeks after surgery and then hair growth starting between 3 to 5 months after surgery.

Long story short, wearing a hat will not affect growth in one way or another.  In fact, wearing a hat is probably the best way to conceal the fact that you’ve had surgery to the world as long as you can get away with it.  It will also help protect your scalp and transplanted hair from the sun if you have to be outside for an extended period of time.

I hope this helps.

Rahaal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I walked 18 holes of golf one week after getting over 5,000 grafts transplanted in 2012.  I wore a hat of course and everything was fine.  Those grafts are firm and embedded in just a few days after surgery.  Your grafts won't even know your wearing a hat.

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

On 4/4/2023 at 9:12 AM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@JH225,

At 11 days postop, your newly transplanted hair is deeply rooted and the follicles are secured underneath the surface of the scalp.  As a result, there’s nothing you can do apart from undergoing surgery to remove the newly transplanted follicles. Moreover, it would be very difficult at this point to prevent the transplanted hair from taking its natural course.  This includes  shedding of the transplanted hair between 4 to 6 weeks after surgery and then hair growth starting between 3 to 5 months after surgery.

Long story short, wearing a hat will not affect growth in one way or another.  In fact, wearing a hat is probably the best way to conceal the fact that you’ve had surgery to the world as long as you can get away with it.  It will also help protect your scalp and transplanted hair from the sun if you have to be outside for an extended period of time.

I hope this helps.

Rahaal Hair Transplant 

Dr Rahal,

At what day after surgery would you say that the grafts are firmly secured. day 7?