Can you wear a cap immediately after hair transplant?

Is it allowed to wear a hat/cap after hair transplant surgery without damaging/dislodging the grafts? I’m traveling by air for surgery and anxious how it’s going to be flying back home without people staring at my head but I don’t want to risk damaging the grafts from covering my head

10 hours ago, Sunset Dune said:

Is it allowed to wear a hat/cap after hair transplant surgery without damaging/dislodging the grafts? I’m traveling by air for surgery and anxious how it’s going to be flying back home without people staring at my head but I don’t want to risk damaging the grafts from covering my head

It's not advised. You should wear a surgical cap instead

You can also wear a bandana.

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I used bandana, just don't have s contact with the receipt area.

• Like 1

Doron Harati - Patient coordinator for HDC Hair Clinic, HT procedures are done by MD Doctors with Microscope FUE.

For consultation contact me: WhatsApp +972526542654

Mail:doronhdc@gmail.com

HDC Instegram: https://instagram.com/doronhairadvisor_hdc?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

* All comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice, all comments are only the personal opinions of the poster.

• Valued Contributor
22 hours ago, Sunset Dune said:

Forget about the people. You will never see them again. In a year from now you will have great hair and you won't even remember them anymore than they will you. Both times I've had surgery overseas I sat in my seat on a plane with my blue surgical hat with my little saline spray bottle spraying my grafts every hour on the flight. The first time it attracted the attention of the air steward and we got talking. It turned out he is on medication for his MPB and he bumped me up to an empty seat in first class! I wasn't nor will I let anything get in the way of giving my grafts the best chance of survival. All the best!

• Like 2

I too worried about the hat thing, and just got my transplant this week. Rest assured, as others have mentioned here, it’s completely normal after the first day. Everyone gets it. If helpful I’ve worn a very loose fitted hooded sweatshirt so the hood is over the surgical cap and cover almost everything without touching anything. 

• Like 1

Just make sure it is loosely fitted.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

On 3/31/2023 at 10:10 AM, Sunset Dune said:

When are you having your transplant? Im asking because im working on something that could solve your problem (and mine).

Loose baseball cap and >>loose<< lightweight hoodie that does not pull down on the hat and basically floats there. That's what I did.

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

10 hours ago, needmyhairback said:

can you please share your solution?

I have a solution that im currently working very hard on to make into reality. I am too very selfconcious about walking through airports with my head exposed  and having  people stare at me and might possibly even take pics. Also obviously i dont want sun exposure as well so I can do some sightseeing or go outside instead of locking myself inside all the time 🙂 i wont be getting my own ht until I solved this. When I do solve it, I will let you know.

30 minutes ago, lunch_owl said:

I have a solution that im currently working very hard on to make into reality. I am too very selfconcious about walking through airports with my head exposed  and having  people stare at me and might possibly even take pics. Also obviously i dont want sun exposure as well so I can do some sightseeing or go outside instead of locking myself inside all the time 🙂 i wont be getting my own ht until I solved this. When I do solve it, I will let you know.

The best thing to do if this is a concern is to rent the hotel or airbnb for 2 weeks at the city where you get your surgery, arrive a day before surgery and have the place loaded with food for the upcoming 2 weeks, do your surgery and then stay indoors for a couple of weeks and then travel with a cap on since then it won't be a problem.

If you are very self conscious about this the sight seeing won't be a priority.

Edited by MattJosh

I've just flown back from Istanbul. There were probably 10 people on the flight who were clearly very soon after surgery.

A couple (from Smile clinic judging by their back packs) had their donor area bandaged which make if very obvious from a distance. 

In contrast, one was probably 4-5 days after and looked pretty normal, especially from a distance 

All that said, I only paid attention as I've had surgery myself. They seemed to go pretty much unnoticed by everyone else.

Despite it being only a few days ago, I couldn't describe any of them to you. There's no chance I would recognise them in 6 months when they have growth.

My conclusion was nobody cares. They won't take photos and may not even be paying enough attention to even notice.

I think the worst you'll get is a question from someone with hair loss who wants to know about the procedure for their own benefit. 

My advice would be to go get it done, stay a few extra days if you want the donor to look less raw, and try to put it to the back of your mind. When thinking about the worst that couple happen, it's someone pointing my head out to their fellow travellers. Frankly, if they're that minded, I wouldn't care what they thought, especially as it's likely to point to their own insecurities.

People who I have told about my surgery have all have been really accepting that it's something I wanted to do and would make me feel better about myself. Most are glad I had it. I have had literally no people who were unsupportive or judgemental.

1 hour ago, MattJosh said:

The best thing to do if this is a concern is to rent the hotel or airbnb for 2 weeks at the city where you get your surgery, arrive a day before surgery and have the place loaded with food for the upcoming 2 weeks, do your surgery and then stay indoors for a couple of weeks and then travel with a cap on since then it won't be a problem.

If you are very self conscious about this the sight seeing won't be a priority.

That thought has crossed my mind but will cost a lot and would be incredibly boring. Sightseeing obv is not a priority but if I would travel abroad and far, I would like to make the most of my short stay there.