Scheduling anxiety, help?

Update: I've scheduled my procedure!

---

Let me preface this by saying that I understand all of the common advices made on these forums, e.g. there are no guarantees, no "right" or "wrong" decisions, and that only I can decide for myself what is best for me. I know that even the best surgeons can produce lackluster results. I know that distance and price should not be the primary factor in choosing a surgeon. I know that every case is different. I know all this. 🙂

---

With that out of the way, I am posting this in an attempt to overcome some anxiety associated with scheduling my procedure. I tend to get "analysis paralysis" when making big decisions because I like to have all the information and sometimes I just feel like I'm overlooking something huge. I know some anxiety is normal, but I've been unable to submit the scheduling form for nearly a year now! I could use some help. 😅

So here's my situation. I am 37 years old and have finally had enough of not feeling confident without a hat on. I'm ready to do something for myself! I don't need a perfect hairline or supremely dense hair, just a less-jarringly-receding hairline that I can actually work with instead of just covering up.

My hairline has not changed much since my early 20s, and I am now on finasteride 1mg/daily and plan to stay on it indefinitely just to be on the safer side. I know the hair loss never completely stabilizes, but I'm confident that I'm not going to go "completely" bald, even if I weren't on finasteride.

As for surgeons, I've considered quite a few, and had consultations (all via video call) with several. My current top pick, all things considered, is Dr. Rahal. He does FUE and designs excellent hairlines, which is all the work I need. While distance is not a major factor in choosing the surgeon, he is within driving distance for me and I am not willing to fly to have this procedure.

Another consideration is that I am looking for a softer, somewhat androgynous hairline style (e.g. softer edge, more rounded temple connections, etc.), compared to many of the more rigid, masculine results I often see on this forum (which look fantastic, they're just not for me). I've spoken at-length about this with Dr. Rahal's representatives and it sounds like an easy accommodation.

Here are some images of my current hairline, and information from Dr. Rahal's office. I would appreciate any constructive input that might help me pull the trigger on this. 🙂

donor.png

recipient.png

treatment_areas.png

hair_characteristics.png

Edited by gaz9318054
Update! Procedure scheduled!

Please direct medical questions to medical professionals.

NW3, Dr. Rahal, FUE, 3,000FU, Summer 2023

• Administrators

I think they have your skin tone and hair color backwards. How long have you been on finasteride? Can you share some pictures of the hairlines you like? When you say androgynous, do you want a feminine hairline? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Here is my journey with Dr. Rahal: 

I understand your anxiety and concern over making a decision, I experienced the same. Even when I had finished the surgery weeks later I still had anxiety wondering if I had chosen the right clinic and if I should have gone with someone else etc.. While I don't think that anxiety fully disappears until you are at the end of your journey, what I could add is this: 

- Write off the money you're going to spend. Don't make this about money in your head, a lot of the times I had thoughts of is this worth money I'm investing, should I even be doing this financialy etc.. If you've elected that a successful surgery would bring you more peace in your life, then it is worth it. 

- You have to put your trust in experience. You are going to a Doc who has been operating for 30+ years, consider the amount of surgeries him and his team have done and how many people came before you. 

- If Dr. Rahal is among your picks, you have done enough research to not be going to a hair mill. 

- Their success rate is high and you are not special or an anomaly, there is no reason to come in believing you won't come out of this succesful too. As long as your expectations are in tact, which it sounds like they are, then you will have a great chance of the outcome making you happy 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I think they have your skin tone and hair color backwards. How long have you been on finasteride? Can you share some pictures of the hairlines you like? When you say androgynous, do you want a feminine hairline? 

Hey Melvin, thanks for the reply.

I've only just started finasteride a month or so ago, actually. 

As for the hairline, I want one that would be better suited for some traditionally feminine hairstyles than a typical male's hairline would be, if that makes sense. Mostly just the things I described -- softer edge and a bit more rounded connections to the temples. Sorry, I'm not sure how to explain better.

The image below is one I shared with Dr. Rahal's representatives, so maybe it will help?

Please understand that I'm not expecting this exact result, it's just an example that happens to be "M-shaped" like my current receding hairline, so it seems like the right direction, if that makes sense.

image.png.0896f8694f0230ba60d1c1c9dadca880.png

4 minutes ago, TorontoMan said:

I understand your anxiety and concern over making a decision, I experienced the same. Even when I had finished the surgery weeks later I still had anxiety wondering if I had chosen the right clinic and if I should have gone with someone else etc.. While I don't think that anxiety fully disappears until you are at the end of your journey, what I could add is this:

[...]

Hey, TorontoMan! In my research, I've become quite familiar with your case and amazing results! I appreciate you providing your thoughts. That really helps, and I completely agree with what you've said. Something just keeps me from pressing the final "submit" button on the forms. 😂  I will read what you've written a few times and try to internalize it, because I know you are absolutely right.

12 minutes ago, gaz9318054 said:

Hey Melvin, thanks for the reply.

I've only just started finasteride a month or so ago, actually. 

As for the hairline, I want one that would be better suited for some traditionally feminine hairstyles than a typical male's hairline would be, if that makes sense. Mostly just the things I described -- softer edge and a bit more rounded connections to the temples. Sorry, I'm not sure how to explain better.

The image below is one I shared with Dr. Rahal's representatives, so maybe it will help?

Please understand that I'm not expecting this exact result, it's just an example that happens to be "M-shaped" like my current receding hairline, so it seems like the right direction, if that makes sense.

image.png.0896f8694f0230ba60d1c1c9dadca880.png

Hey, TorontoMan! In my research, I've become quite familiar with your case and amazing results! I appreciate you providing your thoughts. That really helps, and I completely agree with what you've said. Something just keeps me from pressing the final "submit" button on the forms. 😂  I will read what you've written a few times and try to internalize it, because I know you are absolutely right.

Glad to hear it to mate. It's a daunting process, it feels like there are so many things unknown and you can't control for everything and at the same time you want it to be done already 😅. It seems like you have your head on straight, just prioritize experience and results above personal convenience and money. In my experience people who went for cheap, quick and sometimes with fake assurances from doctors seem to often end up dissatisfied. 

• Like 1

If you are very anxious and want to go in feeling like you’ve done everything you could do, ask a dermatologist if you have any underlying or hidden scalp conditions that may interfere with surgery. Also I would recommend wait to ATLEAST 6 months on finasteride, although I would do one year as that is pretty standard. I wouldn’t expect finasteride to regrow your front but it could strengthen other areas that are prone to miniaturisation.

A doctor that I would recommend for you to research is Dr Bisanga. And Dr Rahals assessment about 3000 grafts needed is right.

• Like 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

1 hour ago, TorontoMan said:

Glad to hear it to mate. It's a daunting process, it feels like there are so many things unknown and you can't control for everything and at the same time you want it to be done already 😅. It seems like you have your head on straight, just prioritize experience and results above personal convenience and money. In my experience people who went for cheap, quick and sometimes with fake assurances from doctors seem to often end up dissatisfied. 

I think part of the difficulty I'm having with the idea of prioritizing experience and results is that I start to feel like I should be identifying the very best surgeon in the world and spending top dollar, or not bothering at all. But I also know there's no objective measure of surgical skill to compare, and analyzing the tiny percentage of results reported to this forum doesn't seem like a good method of making a subjective determination either.

With very few exceptions, the work reported here by patients is all pretty impressive and I think I'd be happy with nearly any reasonable result I've seen here. So I sort of get stuck in a loop in indecisiveness, if that makes sense.

31 minutes ago, mister_25 said:

If you are very anxious and want to go in feeling like you’ve done everything you could do, ask a dermatologist if you have any underlying or hidden scalp conditions that may interfere with surgery. Also I would recommend wait to ATLEAST 6 months on finasteride, although I would do one year as that is pretty standard. I wouldn’t expect finasteride to regrow your front but it could strengthen other areas that are prone to miniaturisation.

A doctor that I would recommend for you to research is Dr Bisanga. And Dr Rahals assessment about 3000 grafts needed is right.

Very interesting suggestions! Thank you for your comment.

Are you saying to use finasteride for 6-12 months before having my procedure? I've never heard that suggestion before, so if I'm understanding you correctly, can you elaborate a bit? To be clear, I'm not expecting finasteride to do anything more than slow down the hair loss process over time.

Dr. Bisanga is overseas, I believe. I am in the US and am not willing to fly to have the procedure. 😅

Edited by gaz9318054

1 hour ago, gaz9318054 said:

I think part of the difficulty I'm having with the idea of prioritizing experience and results is that I start to feel like I should be identifying the very best surgeon in the world and spending top dollar, or not bothering at all. But I also know there's no objective measure of surgical skill to compare, and analyzing the tiny percentage of results reported to this forum doesn't seem like a good method of making a subjective determination either.

With very few exceptions, the work reported here by patients is all pretty impressive and I think I'd be happy with nearly any reasonable result I've seen here. So I sort of get stuck in a loop in indecisiveness, if that makes sense.

Very interesting suggestions! Thank you for your comment.

Are you saying to use finasteride for 6-12 months before having my procedure? I've never heard that suggestion before, so if I'm understanding you correctly, can you elaborate a bit? To be clear, I'm not expecting finasteride to do anything more than slow down the hair loss process over time.

Dr. Bisanga is overseas, I believe. I am in the US and am not willing to fly to have the procedure. 😅

It’s to assess whether or not finasteride halts, slows or does not have any affect on your hair. This way you can plan for the future because procedures are rarely one and done for life. Right now you are probably a advanced NW3A or a NW4. You might one day start to thin in the crown or mid scalp if you haven’t already and might be NW5/6/7, reality is that you still have a lot of hair and the goal is to see where you are going to lose and what you will be able to hold on too.

• Like 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

15 minutes ago, mister_25 said:

It’s to assess whether or not finasteride halts, slows or does not have any affect on your hair. This way you can plan for the future because procedures are rarely one and done for life. Right now you are probably a advanced NW3A or a NW4. You might one day start to thin in the crown or mid scalp if you haven’t already and might be NW5/6/7, reality is that you still have a lot of hair and the goal is to see where you are going to lose and what you will be able to hold on too.

Okay, I think I understand. This sounds like excellent advice, but I'm not sure it applies to me within a 1 year time frame, considering I've not actually noticed any change in my hairline in over a decade. In other words, I'm not sure I will ever be able to say finasteride is working for me, but more hoping that I won't be confirming it doesn't a decade from now. 😂  Does that make sense? Sorry if I've missed your point.

Update: I've scheduled my procedure!

It's a couple months out, but I completed the form and put down my deposit. 😁

I was reading back through TorontoMan's thread here and it was this comment that really had an impact on me.

you had amazing hair to begin with, so I can only congratulate you for choosing Dr. Rahal, because frankly you need a very dense and natural hairline that matches what's behind it

If Dr. Rahal can manage to improve upon an already incredible head of hair, I am confident that what I've got will be a walk in the park for him. I don't expect the same results, obviously, but I feel as though what can realistically be done for me is very achievable by Dr. Rahal.

Thanks for everyone's input on this thread. I'm more than happy to continue the discussion if anyone is interested, as I always appreciate more input. 😊

• Like 1

@gaz9318054,

Now I completely agree with all of your disclaimers about not letting cost or location be a determining factor on the surgeon you select. The good news, however, is you clearly have one of the best surgeons in your backyard, and frankly, with the risk of sounding biased, there’s really no need to travel anywhere else when there’s so much evidence demonstrating Dr. Rahal’s spectacular results and hairlines 

Frankly, you appear to be an exceptional candidate based on the photos you presented and the information. At 37 and most, if not all of your hair loss being in the front and what appears to more than enough donor hair based on the photo I see - dr. Rahal could definitely meet and even exceed your expectations.

Now I do want to say something here because anyone who doesn’t know my history may think I’m just simply advertising Dr. Rahal because I work for him.   And while I do certainly work for and with him, my history with Dr. Rahal goes back over 15 years and I’ve only formally worked with him for maybe about a year and a half.

I’ve been in the hair restoration profession since 2007 and I’ve been a poster and big part of this community for about 13 to 14 of those years.  I’ve had the privilege of meeting Dr. Rahal in person several times and viewing dozens, if not, hundreds of examples of his results between online photos and meeting many of his patients in person.  In fact. My situation is probably a bit different than most where individuals tend to promote their doctors strictly because they work for them. I personally approached Dr. Rahal because I’ve been impressed with his passion, technique, and results for a very long time. So essentially, I’m working for and with him because he is one of the best and frankly, I wouldn’t align myself, or jeopardize my reputation by working with anyone I didn’t truly believe in.

So I just wanted to give you a little background so I didn’t sound like I was just a paid consultant promoting my doctor simply because I work for him. I have a long history of seeing how spectacular his results are and I’m a true believer in his work.

Feel free to contact me privately, and I’ll be happy to explain more and if you’re interested, I’d be happy to talk with you on the phone and answer any of your questions or even just listen to any of your concerns, share my story, etc. 

Long story short, you are in the best hands with Dr. Rahal and I really wouldn’t be working with him if I didn’t feel this way.

Feel free to send me a p.m. or respond publicly and we can talk more.

Best Regards,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

If you haven’t seen them, here are a few recent examples of Dr. Rahal’s FUE results, especially hairline results.

PATIENT 1

4F58CB3B-972F-4871-A9F3-9D3ABE108034.jpeg.5baeba0b0ff8b345d8bfea5da49fa3f2.jpegF721DEA1-609F-4E0F-8B47-D6AA6E63BC88.jpeg.6ae34e18cc3ae808dbb1078dc9ee19ce.jpeg7C353E48-6DA3-4E7B-B406-4B04D3CB8761.jpeg.7cf58ef3e748323d008dd227b07b313e.jpegCBF505A2-7C95-4F15-B24C-28B0A069D813.jpeg.089d80f0d14aa167715035577158086e.jpeg

PATIENT 2

8BBF8199-95A0-4AC0-84F2-701693BE49A0.jpeg.66d682d45eeab1a2763f326af4454d39.jpeg

C35F59FA-8F0A-42E9-BD6B-BCA357883CCD.thumb.jpeg.5b4195091ea60807dc8ebaa3b3f8a9ef.jpeg

C10DD232-1861-4398-B9A3-2AF91F5B195D.thumb.jpeg.65f2866a974923b7db9fe118c78f0ec0.jpeg

D1AD3A87-7AD8-4650-8243-D6F7C534B83E.thumb.jpeg.fed66e3297af1dc65725f3f14fcc7049.jpeg

606A4E7F-5897-4B59-95D6-DF5321CD4B19.thumb.jpeg.708fe65e03d124a5e7cded0d526ebc2c.jpeg

PATIENT 3

857079AD-737E-4C2B-9692-2E3CA40792E2.jpeg.4738558206b66cc8a73ab904267eb939.jpeg

3EFCE5BE-C451-4B34-A87A-AA605DFFA01B.jpeg.4b769f77e94f076904d4dfd9bb31cc71.jpeg

12D92541-7152-41DA-A526-800A2F9D5DE2.jpeg.bc3014da3231be718fe42165ed737b14.jpeg

477B2E56-14CD-4E0A-BA88-9434EFFB1EF7.jpeg.aa8dc99c600da5b81224e9171bf76be4.jpeg

3D363A8B-4668-4462-8344-78D98601E7D4.jpeg.ebe9dc862c9ccf294005e81b3635e95a.jpegC5A5E794-8A9B-4EEE-95DA-A87618B61E10.jpeg.c683a894fe2f438f58483ffa8bc87d38.jpeg

PATIENT 4

6000A34A-B3EC-470E-80C3-66BDC57540D4.jpeg.784527e8fdff21c9a5856674314d2145.jpeg

980A4AA9-9F25-4A64-BBA6-CC78EFBBF185.jpeg.8aa76b157eb91fcf0157d9bac75350c2.jpeg

F7472FE0-84A1-4413-8FDE-F243BCBB22F7.jpeg.f7f0937013be1766ee36badeed90f4a2.jpeg

303DFF1F-7EBB-4C9F-AB40-280A9F3B1F0E.jpeg.541a12247d6a2748713a1f4c7e60ae24.jpeg

7B6F647F-04C1-42CE-B3A2-01B7131847F8.jpeg.7a757807f78496b8c32cfe24ff7e9091.jpeg

9C2F7475-DD52-4866-8203-2B94BFBC86FA.jpeg.26f85aca0ba141fefdedec6e77c11106.jpeg

PATIENT 5

F6EDD443-22C3-4145-8ADB-9B75B12B63B3.jpeg

47FF1E27-ED3F-4CCB-8DE2-8EDE7C30CF9F.jpeg

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 3/14/2023 at 2:06 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Can you share some pictures of the hairlines you like? When you say androgynous, do you want a feminine hairline? 

It's more about avoiding hard edges and sharp points. Feminine hairlines just tend to be more soft and rounded, and I want to aim more in that direction.

I'm not sure what this means in practice. Perhaps rounding of the temple connections, implanting grafts in a more even distribution (e.g. not significantly more dense up front)? The "how" is for Dr. Rahal to decide.

Finding examples is tricky, but I'll try!

image.thumb.png.1e1a74956170773e58e3ce25dbdc5132.png

I really like this one, because similarly to the image I attached in this comment, it is soft and maintains some of the "M-shape" I have now. I still want to look like me, after all. 🙂

image.png.cf27482617558931b67d3e452672d0aa.png

This image also seemed like a good way to visualize the type of change I'm going for. It is soft and rounded. No points or hard lines.

Obviously my current hairline is far more receded than this "before" picture, but again, I'm just communicating the idea, not providing examples that I think perfectly reflect the reality of my situation or expectations. 🙂

Let me know if these help express my goals. It would be nice to have some appropriate examples handy when I arrive at the clinic.

• 2 months later...

@Melvin- Moderator Bump, in case you missed my reply. :)

@gaz9318054,

I just wanted to follow up to see if you have scheduled an information session with Dr. Rahal or at what stage you’re at in terms of scheduling since you said you need some help taking the plunge with Dr. Rahal.

If, I can help you in anyway, please feel free to send me a private message and I’ll be happy to do anything I can to help get you where you need to be.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

@Rahal Hair Transplant I appreciate the followup. I did schedule my procedure for next month, so that's set, but I haven't spoken with Dr. Rahal directly as of yet. I'm not sure doing so would calm my nerves much, and it seems like details beyond what we've worked out so far (approximate number of grafts, pre-op requirements, costs, etc.) are generally figured out during the pre-op appointment and the morning of the procedure.

That said, if there's any benefit to an information session with Dr. Rahal himself at this point, and he doesn't mind taking the time, I certainly wouldn't be opposed! :)

Side note: I have provided hairline examples earlier in this thread, but noticed the image from this comment has gone missing. Should I repost it, or can it be recovered somehow?

@gaz9318054,

Congratulations on booking your procedure. I know that there’s a lot of anxiety and mixed feelings that go into deciding to undergo surgical hair restoration. But in all honesty, you’ve chosen a phenomenal surgeon who I’ve been highly impressed with for over 15 years, long before I began formally working with him.  In fact, I personally approached Dr. Rahal about working with him because I know how good he is and I wanted to work with the best.

And yes, all of the final decisions and outline of your hair restoration procedure will be completely laid out for you on the morning of your procedure when he takes a look at your scalp and hair for the first time in person.

Dr. Rahal is very scientific and artistic and literally tailors his procedure to the needs and wants of the patient. I know those are terms that are thrown out there quite often but nothing could be further from the truth with Dr. Rahal.

My best advice is to rest easy, knowing that you’ll be in the best of hands. Just make sure you follow his instructions, and I feel quite confident that you’ll be exceptionally happy with your results.

I’m honestly really looking forward to following your progress so I hope that you will post monthly photos so that we can I follow along.

If you need anything, don’t hesitate to send me a private message… Even if you want to talk on the phone patient to patient, I’m happy to do that.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Funny because I have very similar goals to yours. 

I am honestly not seeking a very masculine feel for my hairline but something that goes more on the androgynous side of things supporting more longer hairstyles and a bit more of a feminine aesthetic. 

Saddly I am a bit more receded then you OP but I am planning to grow longer locks with bangs in the front with shoulder length hairstyle. I do have wavy and medium thickness which kind of helps from the sides to give the ilusion of some coverage but my frontal thirds need some density because they are very diffused so I will need to go for something that may be more realistic in terms of coverage but I think I can get away with some good density if I get 2s and 3s out for my grafts. 

I do recognize my goals are a bit uncommon as well among most people because usually men opt for shorter hairstyles but I have always been fond of longer hair then short. 

Hopefully we both get what we seek. 

2 hours ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I am honestly not seeking a very masculine feel for my hairline but something that goes more on the androgynous side of things supporting more longer hairstyles and a bit more of a feminine aesthetic.

This is it exactly. My hair is getting quite long now, but I really can't pull it off unless I wear a hat or headband to cover the hairline area. I do enjoy wearing such things, but it's less fun when I feel I have to. 😅

Saddly I am a bit more receded then you OP but I am planning to grow longer locks with bangs in the front with shoulder length hairstyle.

That would be awesome! The very idea of being able to have bangs feels out of reach right now, but who knows!

I do recognize my goals are a bit uncommon as well among most people because usually men opt for shorter hairstyles but I have always been fond of longer hair then short. 

Nothing wrong with uncommon. That's what makes us unique. :) 

Also, this is why I'm not planning to have any temple work done, even though my temples are quite "soft" or "weak" (not sure the right term). Not too far receded, but definitely not pointy or prominent in any way.

Hopefully we both get what we seek. 

I sure hope so! Do you have a procedure scheduled already? Let me know if there's a thread I can follow. I'd love to see your progress if you choose to share it.

I'll probably be creating another thread in a few weeks to cover my experience, and then update it over the next year or so with my progress. :) 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gaz9318054 said:

This is it exactly. My hair is getting quite long now, but I really can't pull it off unless I wear a hat or headband to cover the hairline area. I do enjoy wearing such things, but it's less fun when I feel I have to. 😅

That would be awesome! The very idea of being able to have bangs feels out of reach right now, but who knows!

Nothing wrong with uncommon. That's what makes us unique. :) 

Also, this is why I'm not planning to have any temple work done, even though my temples are quite "soft" or "weak" (not sure the right term). Not too far receded, but definitely not pointy or prominent in any way.

I sure hope so! Do you have a procedure scheduled already? Let me know if there's a thread I can follow. I'd love to see your progress if you choose to share it.

I'll probably be creating another thread in a few weeks to cover my experience, and then update it over the next year or so with my progress. :) 

I know exactly how you feel. 

I am having it next week from today precisely, I can DM you post op and let you know how it goes.  And it's the same with me, I have decided to let my hair grow longer for almost a year so the doctor can know how it looks with this specific lenght and have me operated on it.

But right now it looks odd because I have a diffusing hole from my frontal thirds so maybe increasing density in there can help. I have some hopes that either oral minoxidil can help a bit on the crown and while the transplant takes care of 2 thirds. 

I also don't plan any work done on the temples because of this, I want to maximize coverage via lenght and thickness so any potencial bald spots are minimised. 

Also they aren't that far receded so I feel like it's pointless considering I am not planning to keep it short. Anything that results in good density to grow it long is a win in my eyes. 

It won't likely look perfect but with some product or even extensions it may be well perfected. To be honest my change of style will likely be a bit radical even if I take the hair out of equation but the hair itself will defo be a vital part or that change itself. 

5 hours ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I am having it next week from today precisely, I can DM you post op and let you know how it goes.

Please do! Mine is a few weeks after yours. I'll be looking for all the inspiration and confidence I can get. 😅

I have decided to let my hair grow longer for almost a year so the doctor can know how it looks with this specific lenght and have me operated on it.

This is a brilliant idea. I will probably do the same thing, now that you mention it. The surgeon should have as much info as possible to design the proper hairline.

But right now it looks odd because I have a diffusing hole from my frontal thirds so maybe increasing density in there can help. I have some hopes that either oral minoxidil can help a bit on the crown and while the transplant takes care of 2 thirds. 

I also don't plan any work done on the temples because of this, I want to maximize coverage via lenght and thickness so any potencial bald spots are minimised. 

Also they aren't that far receded so I feel like it's pointless considering I am not planning to keep it short. Anything that results in good density to grow it long is a win in my eyes.

This makes sense to me. Have you talked to the doctor about that plan specifically?

It won't likely look perfect but with some product or even extensions it may be well perfected. To be honest my change of style will likely be a bit radical even if I take the hair out of equation but the hair itself will defo be a vital part or that change itself. 

Do you find it difficult to make significant style changes? I ask because I've made major changes myself in the last two years, and there's certainly been some mixed feedback along the way. 😬 But it's been quite liberating for me, and was very long overdue! And as you said, the hair is just part of it, but definitely an important part.

18 minutes ago, gaz9318054 said:

Please do! Mine is a few weeks after yours. I'll be looking for all the inspiration and confidence I can get. 😅

This is a brilliant idea. I will probably do the same thing, now that you mention it. The surgeon should have as much info as possible to design the proper hairline.

This makes sense to me. Have you talked to the doctor about that plan specifically?

Do you find it difficult to make significant style changes? I ask because I've made major changes myself in the last two years, and there's certainly been some mixed feedback along the way. 😬 But it's been quite liberating for me, and was very long overdue! And as you said, the hair is just part of it, but definitely an important part.

Will do. 

I was told that the 3000 grafts would likely be enough to cover the frontal, entrance and central portion of the scalp. I did suggest though to maybe sprinkle a couple of grafts near the crown so it could make a better transition to the vertex from the frontal thirds. The clinic said that they can go up to 3200 max but usually not over that which I am fine with. I am self conscious on the degree of my baldness to be honest so I need to play with my limitations as well. 

To be honest the crown ain't too bad and not a complete black hole, it'd just a little bit diffused from the front and it has one side with slightly more density then the other. A bit like rolandas before he had surgery in there. I actually have similar diffusing pattern as he did but without having the front completely wiped out by mpb. I also have the twirl cowlick from the back. 

I actually considered trimming the hairs down at one point but felt it wouldn't be productive since it's best to go there with the look that's closest to the results you are expecting to get. It gives a much better idea on the surgeon in terms of how much will I need to create the required coverage for that style. 

I find it a little bit difficult since my hair loss limited myself to do Saul Goodman styled combovers to cover the balding areas. I feel like it's something that needs to be gradual rather then sudden. Try to get comfortable first and then go for more. 

I think properly learning makeup and skin maintenance is key for best asthetics. :)

But I am glad you managed to get those changes on your side, it must feel liberating. Actually I feel like you got a good head of hair yourself so it's a good position you are in at currently.

35 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I was told that the 3000 grafts would likely be enough to cover the frontal, entrance and central portion of the scalp.

I think 3,000 grafts can go a long way. I'm confident that you'll have plenty of options to get the results you're after. :)

54 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I am self conscious on the degree of my baldness to be honest so I need to play with my limitations as well. 

I'm self-conscious too. I wear hats at all times because my hair just always looks bad, and I tried the bald look and am not into it. I figure this is my chance to have a head of hair that I feel good about, and if it doesn't work out, I'll just keep wearing hats! 😅

56 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

To be honest the crown ain't too bad and not a complete black hole, it'd just a little bit diffused from the front and it has one side with slightly more density then the other. A bit like rolandas before he had surgery in there. I actually have similar diffusing pattern as he did but without having the front completely wiped out by mpb. I also have the twirl cowlick from the back. 

Is Rolanda another forum member? I'm not familiar with the name. But I can sort of picture what you're describing, and it sounds like a few grafts near the crown is a good idea.

58 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I actually considered trimming the hairs down at one point but felt it wouldn't be productive since it's best to go there with the look that's closest to the results you are expecting to get. It gives a much better idea on the surgeon in terms of how much will I need to create the required coverage for that style. 

100% agreed!

58 minutes ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I find it a little bit difficult since my hair loss limited myself to do Saul Goodman styled combovers to cover the balding areas. I feel like it's something that needs to be gradual rather then sudden. Try to get comfortable first and then go for more. 

Gradual changes are definitely the way to go where possible. A hair transplant is kind of a mix between gradual and sudden, I think. If friends and family see the initial recovery phase, obviously that's a major change. But once the scabs are gone and the original hair begins to grow back, the growth of new hair comes in very gradually. Anyone who knows us well will realize at some point that we've had work done, but it won't be like showing up in a wig one day. 🤣

You're absolutely right about getting comfortable before moving forward. It takes me a while to find what feels right and to establish some reliable level of confidence after making changes to my appearance. This procedure will no doubt be the biggest challenge yet in that regard, but I think I'm ready for it.

1 hour ago, TheGreatPretender said:

I think properly learning makeup and skin maintenance is key for best asthetics. :)

Makeup and skin care have both been a huge part of my new routine, for sure. It's all a lot to learn, and subtlety is key (especially for makeup), but it's definitely helping overall.

1 hour ago, TheGreatPretender said:

But I am glad you managed to get those changes on your side, it must feel liberating. Actually I feel like you got a good head of hair yourself so it's a good position you are in at currently.

Thanks! It does feel good. Lots of ups and downs, but overall good. And my hair is okay for the most part, just the hairline itself. I was looking at old photos and found one from 2007 where my entire head was buzzed down to a #1. I was 21 years old then and my hairline was basically the same as it is now, so hopefully I won't suddenly experience further loss as I age. I'm on Finasteride (1mg/daily) now, though, just to help ensure that.

In your other thread, you offered to share some photos and I didn't see your message until today. Sorry for not replying. I'd be interested in having a look if you don't mind sharing. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gaz9318054 said:

I think 3,000 grafts can go a long way. I'm confident that you'll have plenty of options to get the results you're after. :)

I'm self-conscious too. I wear hats at all times because my hair just always looks bad, and I tried the bald look and am not into it. I figure this is my chance to have a head of hair that I feel good about, and if it doesn't work out, I'll just keep wearing hats! 😅

Is Rolanda another forum member? I'm not familiar with the name. But I can sort of picture what you're describing, and it sounds like a few grafts near the crown is a good idea.

100% agreed!

Gradual changes are definitely the way to go where possible. A hair transplant is kind of a mix between gradual and sudden, I think. If friends and family see the initial recovery phase, obviously that's a major change. But once the scabs are gone and the original hair begins to grow back, the growth of new hair comes in very gradually. Anyone who knows us well will realize at some point that we've had work done, but it won't be like showing up in a wig one day. 🤣

You're absolutely right about getting comfortable before moving forward. It takes me a while to find what feels right and to establish some reliable level of confidence after making changes to my appearance. This procedure will no doubt be the biggest challenge yet in that regard, but I think I'm ready for it.

Makeup and skin care have both been a huge part of my new routine, for sure. It's all a lot to learn, and subtlety is key (especially for makeup), but it's definitely helping overall.

Thanks! It does feel good. Lots of ups and downs, but overall good. And my hair is okay for the most part, just the hairline itself. I was looking at old photos and found one from 2007 where my entire head was buzzed down to a #1. I was 21 years old then and my hairline was basically the same as it is now, so hopefully I won't suddenly experience further loss as I age. I'm on Finasteride (1mg/daily) now, though, just to help ensure that.

In your other thread, you offered to share some photos and I didn't see your message until today. Sorry for not replying. I'd be interested in having a look if you don't mind sharing. :) 

Trying to send you a PM but it seems I cant.