if you have major dandruff dry/irritated scalp in the donor area, can you get a HT?

I personally have had major dandruff mostly located in the donor are and on the sides of my head.

Can this be a potential issue with getting a HT?

Dandruff is usually caused by dry irritated scalp, I do not think a doctor will attempt to take the strip out if there is any type of rash/irritation at the donor area

Any thoughts folks?

You have to advise your hair transplant doctor in advance, and they will tell you how to deal with the dandruff problem.

It won't compromise you being able to get the transplant, but you will have to pay special attention to it after the transplant.

take care...

As far as I am aware, having a scalp condition doesn't mean that you can't get a transplant. However, it must be under control. If it is as bad as you say, then you should contact a dermatologist to get it under control, and of course mention this to your HT surgeon.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

If its just dry scalp then neutrogena t gel significantly improves most of this in 2 weeks preop.

IF its something else, your doc will have his own opinions.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

After seeing Dr Cooley, he recommended Clobetasol propionate. Considering Dr. Cooley is a dermatologist he really does know his stuff (in case anyone were to ask)

I touched base with my local Dermatologist and they recommended the same thing

I had a rash where the donor area was and Dr. Cooley said he will not operate on me unless the irritated patch went away.

To be honest, I'm actually on accutane and surprisingly, my dry scalp issues went away. I just got off accutane and my scalp is starting to itch up again. (yes, I know, you would think the complete opposite, every "body" is different!)

What makes me worry is now it is possible my scalp issues could come back, I'm going to get a follow up consultation in a few months to double check if there are any obstacles

Wow, this was my major concern as well when I was going to have my HT done. Like you, I have really dry scalp where I can peal dead skin off. I did inform my Doctor and he said it was perfectly okay. Although I was told to take care of it as much as possible before I arrived.

Dry scalp has been a problem of mine since I was ten years old. It has never really went away even with all the shampoo and drugs I've been taking through out the years. I did however tried one product that Jotronic had recommended else where called Polytar. It smells unpleasant but I went ahead and bought it anyways. I couldn't find the product in the states so I ordered it from Canada. I have noticed a big difference since using this product.

If you look at some of my pics in my blog, you'll noticed the skin pealing off from the back and sides as I had mentioned before. It could be from the scar. /shrug

So to answer your question, I had mine done with a dry/irritated scalp. Just make sure like others have said, talk to your doctor.

jmg, I see you're asian icon_smile.gif

I also noticed you got roughly 3000 grafts, that is exactly what I want to get done.

Do you know out of the 3000 grafts, how many hairs total were you able to get?

haha, sorry forum folks, this was off topic, just socializing with my asian relative, hehe.

So JMG, it wasn't that big of a problem to have dry skin, again I will get a second consultation and we'll go from there...

azn,

To be honest, it was late when Dr. Hasson showed me the graft counts in single, doubles, triples/quads, so I don't remember. I'll have to ask Joe to see if he can email those numbers. I did however remembered seeing only 151 grafts for triples/quads. Both singles and doubles were in the thousands and then you had this really small number. lol. I'll pvt those numbers once I get it. That probably just has to do with Far East Asian hair characteristics.

I made sure to inform my Doctor to see whether it would be a problem and that if I might have to postpone the surgery, but again was told that I would be just fine. By this time I have already been using Polytar for a good few weeks so it helped out my dry scalp a lot. I stayed away from Nizoral as it made my condition worse for some reason.