Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong - 1,837 grafts - FUE and BHT repair surgery

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2023 at 9:49 AM, AlexMeister21 said:

I used topical minoxidil for about 1.5 years but never saw an improvement in my crown. Used oral for about 5 months before stopping and only noticed like stray hairs on my back get thicker. Still have about 120 tablets left from when I bought them from Laorwong. Want to have them? 😄

the frankenstein scar at the back of my scap has recovered and has disappeared. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 2:49 AM, LeonSlack said:

Do you have any pictures of your beard donor after the extractions? Do you shave this area? Any issues?

I don't have any issues with my beard donor area at all. I usually shave, but it still looks pretty much untouched. Here's a photo of the donor right after surgery.

IMG_1672.thumb.png.1e9790cfe338b776944dc51e18e7ed28.png

4 minutes ago, AlexMeister21 said:

I don't have any issues with my beard donor area at all. I usually shave, but it still looks pretty much untouched. Here's a photo of the donor right after surgery.

Thank you for that info! And you mentioned earlier that it healed in about 3 days? That’s miraculous.

How long did you wait before doing a shave with a razor in that area post op?

8 minutes ago, LeonSlack said:

Thank you for that info! And you mentioned earlier that it healed in about 3 days? That’s miraculous.

How long did you wait before doing a shave with a razor in that area post op?

Yes, it healed rather quickly. I think I waited about 1.5 weeks before I shaved, but I believe the doctor said I could have shaved after 5 days.

Just now, AlexMeister21 said:

Yes, it healed rather quickly. I think I waited about 1.5 weeks before I shaved, but I believe the doctor said I could have shaved after 5 days.

Thank you! I think you did the right thing to wait to shave. Otherwise, I’ve heard that area can get quite red. 

35 minutes ago, LeonSlack said:

I also have to comment that even after taking over 1000 grafts from the area under the scar, it looks untouched. From the post op pictures, it doesn’t seem like any grafts were taken from the sides. You look great, btw. 

Thanks, Laorwong did a great job. I do notice some slight thinness in my scalp donor area, but I'm probably the only one who would notice. Considering going back to him for my crown.

2 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

Thanks, Laorwong did a great job. I do notice some slight thinness in my scalp donor area, but I'm probably the only one who would notice. Considering going back to him for my crown.

Would the doctor still extract grafts from above your scar? It seems like you still do have hair there. And tbh, your crown doesn’t look bad at all… I hardly see any loss in the pictures you’ve posted with your hair grown out. 

On 12/25/2023 at 2:40 PM, AlexMeister21 said:

Something else I wanted to ask, do you know if the doctor used a motorized or manual punch for these extractions and the punch size? Thanks in advance. 

On 12/25/2023 at 6:44 PM, LeonSlack said:

Would the doctor still extract grafts from above your scar? It seems like you still do have hair there. And tbh, your crown doesn’t look bad at all… I hardly see any loss in the pictures you’ve posted with your hair grown out. 

He didn't extract grafts from above my scar but he did extract from below it. There are some thinner patches on the side where my scar is but I'm okay with it. As for my crown, I have a baseball-sized bald spot at the moment. Laorwong checked my scalp back in November and said I still have baby hairs in my crown region so wanted me to wait a few months to see if they grow back from a shed I had.

On 12/26/2023 at 4:29 PM, LeonSlack said:

Something else I wanted to ask, do you know if the doctor used a motorized or manual punch for these extractions and the punch size? Thanks in advance. 

I'm not too sure of the punch size for the beard. I assume it was still around 0.9mm. He uses a Trivellini device for extraction. 

1 minute ago, AlexMeister21 said:

He didn't extract grafts from above my scar but he did extract from below it. There are some thinner patches on the side where my scar is but I'm okay with it. As for my crown, I have a baseball-sized bald spot at the moment. Laorwong checked my scalp back in November and said I still have baby hairs in my crown region so wanted me to wait a few months to see if they grow back from a shed I had.

I'm not too sure of the punch size for the beard. I assume it was still around 0.9mm. He uses a Trivellini device for extraction. 

The Trivellini is a very sophisticated device! I was looking through your pictures and you definitely do have hair growing out of the scar. I think your estimation is correct, that you’d need another 500 or so grafts to hide it further… but I believe SMP, as the doctor, mentioned would be a better idea. You could also do trichopigmentation which is a temporary SMP. Either way, definite improvement on the scar. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 12:39 PM, Needhelpwithscar said:

@AlexMeister21 hi, May I ask how long you can cut your hair without the scar being visible before your repair? And how short can you cut your hair now after the repair? I have a scar that I would like repair too. Thanks for your reply.

Hello, sorry I didn't see this post until now. Before and after Laorwong, I have to cut my hair with 8 guard. The beard grafts grew but I'm considering SMP at the moment. I will post some pics of my donor soon.

Edited by AlexMeister21

On 1/6/2024 at 11:07 AM, BabaYaga-666 said:

you have gotten really nice results, congratulations. 

No need for a hat anymore i guess. 

Thanks. I still wear hats out in public because it's mainly my style now after being used to wearing them for more than a decade. Also makes me look younger not just hair wise but prevents harsh lighting from highlighting undereye bags and whatnot, so I just feel more comfortable wearing hats.

My 12-month and possibly final update. The surgery overall was successful with good growth. I'm already starting to forget what it was like to live with combovers for 15 years or avoiding social situations unless I could wear a hat. The survival rate for BHT also seemed to be pretty high, though more coverage is needed (as expected).

I do have a few nitpicks, which I think is only fair to the community for me to mention. The growth on the right side is still a bit thin in comparison to my left side and I also have some patchiness in my donor on the sides. Regarding slight thinness on my right side, I think it is mainly my fault because I remember noticing a thin spot had developed after walking around outside for hours with a bucket hat on the 6th day of post-op. I can cover this up pretty easily, but would recommend being careful to wear loose-fitting headwear after surgery. As for patchiness in the donor, it's not too substantial and I'm fine with it. It is noticeable to me and perhaps people within the hair transplant community, but I don't think the average person would think much of it.

Overall I'm glad I went with Dr. Laorwong and certainly believe he's a safe bet for good results.

FRONT:

front.thumb.png.a6f0d34950849016d170e6c56d46da8f.png

LEFT:

left.thumb.png.d1408cfddb2050f891ef2080da8595ec.png

RIGHT:

right.thumb.png.d0f35fbc82fe88142ea9518101154f54.png

DONOR (right):

donor_right.thumb.png.14564d190637f573e9f7bb7462ebc896.png

DONOR (left):

donor_left.thumb.png.200ed7133bb1a0eb68d1729f5d8d2fe5.png

BACK, BHT:

back.thumb.png.7856de69b415b4928ab2e9e435ad98d3.png

Edited by AlexMeister21
  • Thanks 1
  • Well Done 1

Night and day result compared to the prior botch job. Your hair looks great!! It's nearly impossible to see the scar. Congrats on a successful result!