Stop fin or not?

jr1986

• Valued Contributor
On 3/17/2023 at 8:27 PM, DavidFrancis said:

I have the same side effects, loss of morning woods.m at 0,5mg per day.

Do you think its better to decrease at 0,25mg per day, or 0,5mg per day 1 day /2

I would first drop down to 0.25mg and run with this for say 6 - 8 weeks. If you have no luck then titrate down again to 0.25mg every other day. I am not a doctor and really you should be consulting with a good dermatologist. But unless you just want to be done with the drug altogether then it's worth not throwing the baby out with the bath water. Then you can discard the oral version of the drug and know that you have exhausted all possible oral attempts. All the best!

• 1 month later...

Thought is give an update. I have continued taking a small dose of fin, around and 1/8 of a mg about 5x a week. I am still getting a bit of brain fog, so take the odd day off. Some days I don't get it at all. Also still have a loss of morning wood.

However after a recent haircut after it had grown quite long I got a pleasant surprise.

Normally when I styled it the thinning area would not hold shape and would basically collapse. This did not happen. I then realised that the hair looks healthier and rather than being dry and sick looking is beginning to shine. 

I thought at first I was imaging it but I'm now convinced it has improved. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 9:50 AM, jr1986 said:

Thought is give an update. I have continued taking a small dose of fin, around and 1/8 of a mg about 5x a week. I am still getting a bit of brain fog, so take the odd day off. Some days I don't get it at all. Also still have a loss of morning wood.

However after a recent haircut after it had grown quite long I got a pleasant surprise.

Normally when I styled it the thinning area would not hold shape and would basically collapse. This did not happen. I then realised that the hair looks healthier and rather than being dry and sick looking is beginning to shine. 

I thought at first I was imaging it but I'm now convinced it has improved. 

This is usually one of the first things that happens to me on fin. Like with you, fin literally stops nearly all of my morning wood. If I did get any, then the quality of it would suck. The actually ED usually follows within afew weeks. 

I would agree that there is a benefit to nocturnal wood. And perhaps it's part of how fin causes ED, but I'm sure there is more going on. My theory is some people's nitric oxide system is more dependent upon stronger androgens like DHT. And some peoples brains are also more dependent upon strong androgens.

For me it takes weeks to resolve after quiting. 

I've tried different doses both oral and topical. There wasn't much difference for me between 1mg oral and 0.25mg topical. Maybe it just took a little longer to reach the stage of bad ED on topical. But I still wound up in the same place eventually.

For me...fin sucks!

Hopefully the era of Cosmerna, pyrilutamide and GT20029 will be better for the people who get sides with fin.

Edited by Follicle1984
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 6:59 PM, DedLifts said:

This. Poor sleep wrecks hormone levels.

Also, alcohol and lack of exercise cause me to get it less often.

Eating healthier seems to help things as well.

Edited by DedLifts

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd update as it might be of interest to other who struggled on fin. 

As I've already posted, fin caused me brainfog from the get go. It was horrible, basically hit an hour or 2 after taking it and persisted most of the day. For those that say it's all in your head I experimented with puting a 1/8th of fin inside a vit d capsule, the chose between one with and without fin, at the end of the day I'd check which one I'd taken. It was very easy to tell when I had taken the fin. Also had a couple if days I felt great, only to find when I got home I'd left my bit of fin tablet on my desk and had forgotten to take it.

However I persisted and about 3 months ago started noticing my daily brain fog was not as bad. 

I started taking 1/8th of 1 mg everyday as opposed to 5 times a week. About a month ago I started taking 1/6ths and in the last week I'm taking 1/4mg some days. Brain fog has been minimal with this higher dose. 1/8th now causes basically no problems.

I'm going to try and work up to 1/4mg most days.

Morning wood was another problem, it disappeared when I started fin. However in the last few months I've had a few days here and there when I woke with a solid MW. 

Apart from this I've no other problems. 

Hair is looking really healthy  although it hasn't thickened, it isn't staw like anymore. So at the moment I'm happy. 

I'm not sure if it took time for my body to adjust but I'm glad I kept going.

TLDR

started fin on low dose 11 months ago, had horrible brain fog but over time symptoms subsided and have been able to increase dose without major sides.