Who is/was your hair inspiration?

Hi lads,

Bit of a fun post for my first one. I do intend on sharing my hair restoration journey on the HRN forums when the time comes.

Anyways: Who is/was your hair inspiration?

I'm an 80s kid who was in his teens in the early-to-mid 2000s so maybe a bit of a left field choice here, probably a name that doesn't get mentioned much, but David Boreanaz's shaggy spikey hairstyle as Angel is probably my favourite look and is due a resurgence. 

I dream of pulling off that do again some day...*sigh*.

David Beckham was also a huge inspiration. The demi mohawk with the bleached tips was...a mistake...for me. I didn't try the cornrows for obvious reasons, but I did have the full on boyband curtians with frosted tips.

MV5BMjA4NzM3NTAzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTIwNjEz._V1_.jpg

Hair never meant much to me my whole life. Never thought about it neither in myself nor in others. 

Not until the last few years where I went from NW4 to NW6. That changed my looks more than I imagined, and I realize that hair is quite important. But I would still argue that I would be perfectly happy with a NW3 or there about and would never had considered or looked into a HT if I had stayed around there. In fact, I think that many NW3 or even 4 looks good like Jude Law and others. This hair-focused world is completely new to me, and I never knew there were people who focused so much on their and others' hair. I do feel that I'm kind of a late member of that group. Now I kind of get it, and would have been on fin earlier if I could go back in time ;)

Edited by Xanadu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gatsby said:

For me when I first started receding the hairline look that I aspired to was a young Mel Gibson. To cope with my hair loss I had to contend with aspiring to a middle aged Jack Nicholson!! 😉

A young Mel had a cool hairline

• Like 1

I'll echo Xanadu's sentiment : 

If my loss had stopped at a thick NW3, I wouldn't have minded, nor considered an HT at all. It gave me the 'distinguished but not dead yet' look.

After a rapidly thinning NW4 though, I just couldn't accept it and went under the choi pen. 

Johnny Depp was, is and will always be THE hair inspiration -given that he's had about 3 HT's so far and all :D 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

13 hours ago, Gatsby said:

For me when I first started receding the hairline look that I aspired to was a young Mel Gibson. To cope with my hair loss I had to contend with aspiring to a middle aged Jack Nicholson!! 😉

Not anymore @Gatsby, you are edging closer to a young Mel day by day! Your transformation is killing it btw! Legendary. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StillAlive said:

I'll echo Xanadu's sentiment : 

If my loss had stopped at a thick NW3, I wouldn't have minded, nor considered an HT at all. It gave me the 'distinguished but not dead yet' look.

After a rapidly thinning NW4 though, I just couldn't accept it and went under the choi pen. 

Johnny Depp was, is and will always be THE hair inspiration -given that he's had about 3 HT's so far and all :D 

Is that so?? He has always looked amazing, I never questioned it, to be honest! Bit shocked he got a HT...maybe that speaks to my naivety! 😄 

If you've followed Johnny's career from the start (like some of us elder T-Rexes) you would have noticed his hairline going higher and higher, then he spends a magical year in hats, then boom, fancy hair for a few years. Fast forward, hat year, amazing hair. Beard all gone apart from that funny little D'Artagnan goatee thing of his but he looks amazing for his age. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, StillAlive said:

If you've followed Johnny's career from the start (like some of us elder T-Rexes) you would have noticed his hairline going higher and higher, then he spends a magical year in hats, then boom, fancy hair for a few years. Fast forward, hat year, amazing hair. Beard all gone apart from that funny little D'Artagnan goatee thing of his but he looks amazing for his age. 

I'd love to know who did that work for him, I'd say he has access to the very best so it could be a Hasson & Wong job. That's very interesting - I didn't suspect a hair transplant at all. He looks exceptional for a nearly 60-year-old who has been hard drinking, smoking and whatever else for a good portion of his life.

• Moderators

When I was young I was going for either the John Travolta, or Henry Winkler (Fonzie) look. I'm not saying I pulled it off, but that's what I was trying for.

Henry Winkler, John Travolta, Me

ScreenShot2023-02-27at2_41_07PM.png.84bd8a22bc8fa93a2ae6edae8d32113a.pngScreenShot2023-02-27at2_40_02PM.png.d2a61f69b8079f782796a6e10bfa68d5.pngScreenShot2023-02-27at2_45_45PM.png.0fa6c71b134b997fc645e30d9c2b4016.png

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

52 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

When I was young I was going for either the John Travolta, or Henry Winkler (Fonzie) look. I'm not saying I pulled it off, but that's what I was trying for.

Henry Winkler, John Travolta, Me

ScreenShot2023-02-27at2_41_07PM.png.84bd8a22bc8fa93a2ae6edae8d32113a.pngScreenShot2023-02-27at2_40_02PM.png.d2a61f69b8079f782796a6e10bfa68d5.pngScreenShot2023-02-27at2_45_45PM.png.0fa6c71b134b997fc645e30d9c2b4016.png

Classic look, it never goes out of style. Your hair was a really good quality man, I'd say you were pretty successful

1 hour ago, stevenbol said:

Donald draper from Madmen was mine.

Now picture him as a NW6. It doesn't work! Unfortunately, he probably wouldn't have been cast for this role if he were.

donald.jpg

Fun fact Jon Hamm got a hair transplant in the front and uses hair fibers for his remaining hair. 

image.png.6b550260bedd12baa6bf70cc751b0064.png

image.png.de30800d2854e5048dbafaab54cc5a74.png

Edited by stephcurry30

Thinking more about it, there might have been someone. There was a guy that people told me I looked like, and I started to look at what he looked like - a young Val Kilmer. And actually one thing we had in common was hair colour and style at the time. But at the time I didn't much consider the hair part of the reason why some saw a resemblance.

• Wow 1

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, Xanadu said:

Thinking more about it, there might have been someone. There was a guy that people told me I looked like, and I started to look at what he looked like - a young Val Kilmer. And actually one thing we had in common was hair colour and style at the time. But at the time I didn't much consider the hair part of the reason why some saw a resemblance.

YES! Now that you mention it Xanadu you do remind me of a younger Val Kilmer! 👌

• Like 1