How does a transplanted hair grow?

@Daniel A,

Essentially you are right. Many of the transplanted hairs often start growing in thin, fine and colorless like peach fuzz and overtime will thicken, dark and mature. Exactly how or why this occurs I don’t know. What I do know is that transplanted hair follicles are traumatized during the procedure and as a result go dormant for several months which is why they take time to regrow.  I believe the fact that some or even most of the transplanted hair grows in this way had to do with the extent of the trauma to the follicular units.   That said, I will ask Dr. Rahal for a more scientific answer if you are interested in knowing exactly what occurs underneath the surface of the scalp and why some hairs grow in this way and some don’t.  

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I had a decent new growth spurt bang on the 3 month mark. Im now at 4 1/2 months. That hair has thickened but still a little way to go before it blends with my natural hair.

Hoping for more new hairs to pop up still too. About to add oral monox to my stack to give new and yet to pop hair that added push.

Wondering Is it normal to have spurts followed by a couple of weeks of no new hairs? Naturally a little worried due to the lull that’s my lot now?