Some questions about oral minoxidil

TheDarkHour

So, I'm planning to take oral minoxidil soon but have some questions. Have been using the topical version for a little over two years on my hairline and crown.

• Can I take the normal oral tablet sublingually? Or can I only take the strips prescribed by Dr.Sinclair sublingually? Would I place the tablet below or above my tongue?
  • What is a good dosage to start with that is effective while mitigating side effects? I'm planning to take 1.25mg 1x day for the first week and then move up to 2.5mg. I'm also a fairly hairy guy, have normal amount of hair on my arms, below average amount of hair on my legs and have a a fair amount of my hair on my chest and stomach with a bit on my upper back and shoulders.
  • Are you more likely to get hairier if you are already hairy?
  • Any unwanted hair growth on other parts of the body such as forehead?
  • Can I quit using the topical version cold turkey once I start using the oral version?
  • Can I mitigate the weight gain/bloating side effect by drinking more water? Or would I have to use a diuretic? Any other ways to avoid bloating/wight gain?
  • For those that did gain weight through the oral version, where specifically did you gain it? Was it mainly through swelling of the legs or did you gain facial fat, belly fat etc?
  • Do the side effects eventually subside?
  • Am I likely to avoid the shedding phase since I've been using the topical version over the past two years? Keep in mind that I've only been using it on my hairline and crown and this will affect all hair on my body.  

That's all for now. I may update this thread if I have more questions.

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, TheDarkHour said:

So, I'm planning to take oral minoxidil soon but have some questions. Have been using the topical version for a little over two years on my hairline and crown.

• Can I take the normal oral tablet sublingually? Or can I only take the strips prescribed by Dr.Sinclair sublingually? Would I place the tablet below or above my tongue?
  • What is a good dosage to start with that is effective while mitigating side effects? I'm planning to take 1.25mg 1x day for the first week and then move up to 2.5mg. I'm also a fairly hairy guy, have normal amount of hair on my arms, below average amount of hair on my legs and have a a fair amount of my hair on my chest and stomach with a bit on my upper back and shoulders.
  • Are you more likely to get hairier if you are already hairy?
  • Any unwanted hair growth on other parts of the body such as forehead?
  • Can I quit using the topical version cold turkey once I start using the oral version?
  • Can I mitigate the weight gain/bloating side effect by drinking more water? Or would I have to use a diuretic? Any other ways to avoid bloating/wight gain?
  • For those that did gain weight through the oral version, where specifically did you gain it? Was it mainly through swelling of the legs or did you gain facial fat, belly fat etc?
  • Do the side effects eventually subside?
  • Am I likely to avoid the shedding phase since I've been using the topical version over the past two years? Keep in mind that I've only been using it on my hairline and crown and this will affect all hair on my body.  

That's all for now. I may update this thread if I have more questions.

I’ve never tried oral minoxidil sublingually so can’t help you there. I take 2.5 mg EOD and 5mg 3x per week. 

You’re likely to grow hair faster, but you may grow unwanted hair as well.

No hair growth on anywhere I didn’t have hair already. 

Yes you can quit topical minoxidil. 

I haven’t experienced any bloating or edema, this is actually a rare side effect.

I didn’t experience any side effects besides fast hair growth. My body hair and body hair grows faster. I’ve also noticed my leg hair grows longer, which means it’s prolonging the anagen phase of all my hair. 

I used the topical version for years and experienced no hair shedding when I switched to oral.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I just switched to 2.5mg oral once a day from topical two weeks ago. This weekend I’ve began a very profound period of shedding. Haven’t experienced any side effects yet and haven’t noticed any differences in body hair at this point. I’m hoping that my current shed is a sign of efficacy that will eventually come around, but who knows

• Like 1

The Sublingual minoxidil issued Sinclair is not strips but a tablet which dissolves below the tongue. I posted a picture of one in a thread here: 

If you're not going to his clinic for a Dermatology appointment I'm not sure you'll be able to access them but you can ask. You'd need a compounding script. I imagine they would start you on 0.9mg.

If you start on oral min that should be fine, you could start on 1mg to monitor side effects then after a few months increase if you're fine.

I didn't notice a change in my body hair apart from maybe my eye brows being a bit darker.

Consider easing yourself off topical by still doing it every few days then eventually cut it out completely while simultaneously taking oral minox.

Personally I experienced no weight gain, no sides and I can't comment on the shedding. Everyone is different.

Edited by Viney
  • Like 1

I’m 4 months post transplant 

I’ve got my first months worth of oral minox but yet to begin. Do you guys think at this stage post transplant it’s wise? Or best to ride it out a few more months?

I’ve been on fin for a couple of years which thankfully pre op stabilised my hair loss. Now looking to give my new growth an extra kick 

6 hours ago, ALittelTeal said:

I just switched to 2.5mg oral once a day from topical two weeks ago. This weekend I’ve began a very profound period of shedding. Haven’t experienced any side effects yet and haven’t noticed any differences in body hair at this point. I’m hoping that my current shed is a sign of efficacy that will eventually come around, but who knows

How bad is the shedding? Do you look like you're visibly diffuse thinning, or are you just noticing more hair in the shower?

5 hours ago, Viney said:

The Sublingual minoxidil issued Sinclair is not strips but a tablet which dissolves below the tongue. I posted a picture of one in a thread here: 

If you're not going to his clinic for a Dermatology appointment I'm not sure you'll be able to access them but you can ask. You'd need a compounding script. I imagine they would start you on 0.9mg.

If you start on oral min that should be fine, you could start on 1mg to monitor side effects then after a few months increase if you're fine.

I didn't notice a change in my body hair apart from maybe my eye brows being a bit darker.

Consider easing yourself off topical by still doing it every few days then eventually cut it out completely while starting oral minox.

Personally I experienced no weight gain, no sides and I can't comment on the shedding. Everyone is different.

Do you know if the regular oral version also dissolves below the tongue? I really don't want to retain any water in my liver with this. 

5 minutes ago, TheDarkHour said:

Do you know if the regular oral version also dissolves below the tongue? I really don't want to retain any water in my liver with this. 

I doubt it would dissolve, maybe if you crushed it up beforehand it might... This seems like a question for a dermatologist or compounding pharmacist. I would hesitate to ingest medication in a way that doesn't follow the way it's intended to without talking to someone knowledgeable first.

9 hours ago, TheDarkHour said:

How bad is the shedding? Do you look like you're visibly diffuse thinning, or are you just noticing more hair in the shower?

I’d say pretty bad. At days 7-10 it was more hair in the shower, but now it’s progressed to a rather concerning amount as my scalp has progressed to a borderline diffuse thinning look. I’m holding out hope that this is evidence that it is in fact working better than the topical was, so I will be sticking with the treatment and hopefully will turn a corner in the coming weeks/months.

On 2/21/2023 at 12:05 PM, ALittelTeal said:

I’d say pretty bad. At days 7-10 it was more hair in the shower, but now it’s progressed to a rather concerning amount as my scalp has progressed to a borderline diffuse thinning look. I’m holding out hope that this is evidence that it is in fact working better than the topical was, so I will be sticking with the treatment and hopefully will turn a corner in the coming weeks/months.

Are you taking anything else?

Keep me updated on the shedding.

19 hours ago, TheDarkHour said:

I’m one dose in to Xyon Dutasteride. So the shedding has all been from oral minoxidil. In the last two days, the shedding seems to have slowed down, but still too early to get my hopes up. Mentally preparing for it to get worse before it gets better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 7:06 PM, TheDarkHour said:

Following up - not only has the shed stopped, the amount of hairs I see falling out in the shower must be 40% of what it was before going on oral minoxidil. It’s been that way for almost a week now. Some extra facial hair too

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@ALittelTeal it's still early days but I'm a big proponent of oral minoxidil. I found that it really strengthened my hair everywhere on my scalp as well as my beard. I'm sure you will continue to experience even more benefits in a couple more months. All the best!

5 hours ago, Gatsby said:

@ALittelTeal it's still early days but I'm a big proponent of oral minoxidil. I found that it really strengthened my hair everywhere on my scalp as well as my beard. I'm sure you will continue to experience even more benefits in a couple more months. All the best!

I’m going +1 Gatsby on this. Oral minoxidil has substantially reduced my shedding. By what I think is a at least 70-80%. I’m 4.5 months in. Not seen any regrowth and maybe even a little less hair on the hairline, but shedding has definitely decreased. Hair does feel strengthened. But nothing visible has taken place as far as regrowth. I can say that one night I went out and got drunk with a friend and for about 3 days I had water retention in my legs. It quickly subsided. We drank allot. 🤦‍♂️ But it went away with cardio and actually drinking more water, surprisingly. That’s the only side effects I’ve seen besides the desired effects of less shedding. It’s my opinion that oral minoxidil is for people with at least some what of a healthy lifestyle, or at least try. Otherwise, side effects may be more predominant. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 1:17 AM, ALittelTeal said:

Exactly same brother. Switched from topical to oral in early Feb, and have been experiencing increased shedding over the past 3 weeks. Particularly over this last week, I feel my hair has worsened in the mid-scalp 😬

Don't whether it's a sign of good things to come or a harbinger of doom. I'm gonna give oral minoxidil at least 3-4 months before taking a call though 🤞

Oral minox is the best thing to hit our hair loss armamentarium in years. It’s actually incredible it’s been available for so long and not utilized. Thankfully, we have it now. I’ll share my experiences:

Started on 1.25 2 months, then 2.5 for 4 and now at 5mg for 5 months. I’m approaching a year in total. My plan is to stay at 5 and go up no further. I take it daily. 

I’ve had zero side effects from any dosage. No facial edema, water retention or odd growth patterns elsewhere. If my body and beard hair is growing any faster, it’s negligible as I’ve always had fairly quick growth with body and beard hair. 

I tried splitting the 2.5 into AM/PM but I prefer the convenience of taking it all at night as one 5mg dose. 

The drug cost is insanely cheap ($0 w my benefits) as it’s been on generic forever.

I don’t see a rational benefit of a sublingual version other then it can be compounded at various dosages and it would enter the blood circulation quicker, but it’s not necessary since oral absorption is excellent with the standard dose. My guess is some docs or companies are trying to profit on the minox and a sublingual compounded form would allow them to charge for that. It would be hard to get coverage for a compounded or sublingual form with traditional pharmacy benefits through your insurer - mainly because most insurers do not cover compounded drugs and there is a readily available generic great supply. 

I recommend getting a baseline EKG, and echocardiogram as well as standard labs (CBC / CMP) prior to starting and then maybe after several months on the med if you’re concerned at all about cardiac effects.  I’ve had all that done and everything has turned out beautiful. Monitor your blood pressure and heart rate as well. 

If you do get the sublingual, you would want to dissolve the tablet or strip under the tongue.

With almost a year under my belt, I’ve observed zero changes in collage degradation, but with that being said, I’ve always taken almost daily collagen peptides and vitamins as well as a whole foods healthy diet and exercise regiment.  

Pros - significant increase in hair density, hair diameter, and hair growth / regrowth. Everything looks thicker fuller healthier and overall better.  Remember, this is allowing more blood supply to the scalp equating to more oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicles. That’s a big deal. In addition to this, there is a positive immune regulation effect which I believe is a wonderful component and helps address many other loss conditions. Remember, less inflammation equates to a healthier scalp and hair growth. 

Hope this helps!

According to Sharma et al, vasodilatory effects are propagated by upregulation of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), increasing cutaneous blood flow with resultant increase in oxygen and growth factor delivery to the hair follicle. Additionally, minoxidil leads to hair follicle potassium channel activation, prolonging anagen and shortening the telogen phase. Minoxidil may also have T-cell immunomodulatory effects, causing suppression of T-cells that may partially explain its use in autoimmune alopecias. (4) Applied on the scalp, TM is converted to its active form, minoxidil sulfate, by sulfotransferase enzymes located in the follicular outer root sheath. Variations in sulfotransferase activity might clarify why some patients fare better than others with TM. It has been suggested that oral minoxidil may also be converted by liver and platelet sulfotransferase, thereby reaching a higher follicular accumulation. (5)”

Edited by sunsurfhair

No need to go over 1mg a day, lastest research show 1mg is enought. Scientists even say that it could be decrease below 1mg ! 

Edited by arthurSam

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) : ASCE+ HRLV AAPE for Hair secretomes + human Umbilical Chord Exosomes

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, arthurSam said:

No need to go over 1mg a day, lastest research show 1mg is enought. Scientists even say that it could be decrease below 1mg ! 

Source? Dr. Oscar Munoz and Dr. Galvan claim 2.5- 5mg is good for men and 1mg for women.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Anyone taken oral and topical at the same time? I'm a few weeks in to oral pack but still have about 4 months worth topical left. Is there any risk me using both at the same time (wanted to get on oral pre HT to continue through)

1 hour ago, JDB89 said:

Anyone taken oral and topical at the same time? I'm a few weeks in to oral pack but still have about 4 months worth topical left. Is there any risk me using both at the same time (wanted to get on oral pre HT to continue through)

I take both and will continue to. Alot of people are complaining of losing ground when they drop topical for oral

On 3/5/2023 at 10:05 PM, ALittelTeal said:

Following up - not only has the shed stopped, the amount of hairs I see falling out in the shower must be 40% of what it was before going on oral minoxidil. It’s been that way for almost a week now. Some extra facial hair too

That's great. Just ordered myself a batch of 1.25mg tablets. Going to start slow to see if I get any side effects.

On 3/6/2023 at 5:51 AM, Jayson1361 said:

I’m going +1 Gatsby on this. Oral minoxidil has substantially reduced my shedding. By what I think is a at least 70-80%. I’m 4.5 months in. Not seen any regrowth and maybe even a little less hair on the hairline, but shedding has definitely decreased. Hair does feel strengthened. But nothing visible has taken place as far as regrowth. I can say that one night I went out and got drunk with a friend and for about 3 days I had water retention in my legs. It quickly subsided. We drank allot. 🤦‍♂️ But it went away with cardio and actually drinking more water, surprisingly. That’s the only side effects I’ve seen besides the desired effects of less shedding. It’s my opinion that oral minoxidil is for people with at least some what of a healthy lifestyle, or at least try. Otherwise, side effects may be more predominant. 

Hopefully if I get any sort of water retention it's only on my legs too. Bit of a heavy drinker myself so I hope I don't get any water retention on other areas of my body.

Edited by TheDarkHour