Deciding between Dr. Camacho and Dr. Pareja at Bogota Hairlines

Hi there - I recently posted pictures on Reddit to determine whether I was a good candidate for a HT, and I'm now further along in the research process and attempting to decide between the two packages available at Bogota Hairlines.

Dr. Sergio Camacho runs the clinic and is one of the 2 doctors in South America recommended by Hair Restoration Network. He does great work, performs all of the extraction and implantation between himself and his partner (also a surgeon), and limits surgeries to 3,000 grafts per day. The clinic only performs 1-2 surgeries per day maximum.

The other surgeon is Dr. Paola Pareja. There are fewer examples of work that was performed exclusively by her, but she works under the direct supervision of Camacho and was presumably trained by him directly. She also performs extraction and implementation alongside Camacho for all of his surgeries.

So, the clinic offers. two options (here's the informational flyer they sent me, also attached):

• Option 1: "Surgery Plan" and hairline design by Dr. Camacho. Extraction and Implantation performed by both Dr. Camacho and Dr. Pareja. Price: $2.50/graft, $7,500 total**.**
  • Option 2: "Surgery Plan" by Dr. Camacho. Hairline design by Dr. Pareja. Extraction and implantation performed by Dr. Pareja only. Price: (fixed up to 3,000 grafts) $5,400 total.

My question for those who have insight: how critical is it to have Dr. Camacho be directly involved with the extraction and implantation process? Is it likely that Dr. Pareja performs very similar work to Dr. Camacho by virtue of having trained under him and worked with him directly on all of his transplants?

I will likely require a second surgery of 1,500 - 2,500 grafts after a year, and would really like to keep the overall cost down without sacrificing quality if possible. I also keep my hair longer and swept down, so the look of the hairline itself is not absolutely critical like it might be with some guys who wear their hair pulled up with the hairline visible.

Apologies for the long post, and thank you in advance!

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-13 at 10.31.00 AM.jpeg

• Administrators

I haven’t examined Dr. Parejas body of work, but she assists in almost every procedure. The results you see from Bogota Hairlines are a result of a team effort between her and Dr. Camacho.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hmmmm looks like they increased prices again. When I put down the deposit last May, it was $2/graft. Then it went up to $2.3 and now it's up to $2.5.

Anyway, I went with Dr. Camacho package when I was there. Do I think it was absolutely critical to go with him over Dr. Pareja? Not really. They both worked on me at various points of the day (tbh you're positioned in such a way that you can't really see who is working on you at any given time so I couldn't tell you what percent of the day was spent with which person). I think they both do great work. I have no regrets about going with the more expensive package for the hairline just because that's what everyone is going to see so I wanted that done right. I talked to people who had Dr. Pareja do everything and were happy with the results. For me, I just wanted the extra reassurance of someone with more experience. I've considered doing the Pareja package if I need another transplant later just because it would be covering areas that aren't seen as frequently, so the design isn't as critical as the hairline. Long story short, I don't really think you could go wrong with either one, but I have no regrets about paying more for Dr. Camacho's expertise.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I haven’t examined Dr. Parejas body of work, but she assists in almost every procedure. The results you see from Bogota Hairlines are a result of a team effort between her and Dr. Camacho.

So is that to say that you don't think there would be a significant disadvantage to having the procedure done 100% by Dr. Pareja, since her package does not involve Dr. Camacho in the design/extraction/implantation process?

42 minutes ago, FluffyPanda said:

Hmmmm looks like they increased prices again. When I put down the deposit last May, it was $2/graft. Then it went up to $2.3 and now it's up to $2.5.

Anyway, I went with Dr. Camacho package when I was there. Do I think it was absolutely critical to go with him over Dr. Pareja? Not really. They both worked on me at various points of the day (tbh you're positioned in such a way that you can't really see who is working on you at any given time so I couldn't tell you what percent of the day was spent with which person). I think they both do great work. I have no regrets about going with the more expensive package for the hairline just because that's what everyone is going to see so I wanted that done right. I talked to people who had Dr. Pareja do everything and were happy with the results. For me, I just wanted the extra reassurance of someone with more experience. I've considered doing the Pareja package if I need another transplant later just because it would be covering areas that aren't seen as frequently, so the design isn't as critical as the hairline. Long story short, I don't really think you could go wrong with either one, but I have no regrets about paying more for Dr. Camacho's expertise.

Interesting that they even have an option where Dr. Pareja performs the entire procedure, right? Considering a normal full-day procedure usually involves both doctors?

Thank you for the insight! It seems as though it might be worth the significant savings to go with Dr. Pareja considering she assists in almost every procedure regardless and the two collectively produce good results?

2 hours ago, baldythrowaway12345 said:

Interesting that they even have an option where Dr. Pareja performs the entire procedure, right? Considering a normal full-day procedure usually involves both doctors?

Thank you for the insight! It seems as though it might be worth the significant savings to go with Dr. Pareja considering she assists in almost every procedure regardless and the two collectively produce good results?

It's probably similar to the way Eugenix does it where you can pay more for someone with more experience. I would presume they offer her as a cheaper alternative to also allow her to continue gain more experience (I think she's already been there 7+ years if I recall). I certainly have never once thought Dr. Pareja is not skilled enough to perform good work. She certainly worked on me while I was there and I have yet to see anything as a result of her work that raised any flags Is the savings worth it? I couldn't answer that. It really depends what things are worth to you or how much you value that extra experience Dr. Camacho brings. I also don't think Dr. Camacho is unreasonably priced at $2.50 per graft. Personally, it was nice to know that I was in good hands with Dr. Camacho which is why I went with him, but I don't think you would go wrong with either one

• Administrators

$2.50 is super cheap for a doctor of his skill. The best surgeons in Turkey charge over 3 euros. So the distance and savings is very reasonable. I would ask to see some examples of Dr. Parejas work alone before you decide. If it were me, I’d probably choose Dr. Camacho to be safe. It’s still very cheap regardless. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 4 months later...