3026 grafts 10 week post-op. Overharvested donor area, too much from unsafe zone?

Hello community,

I'm 53 years old and had a 3026 graft HT ten weeks ago and my donor area seems a little patchy still.  Could it be overharvested?  I also noticed that many grafts were taken from the unsafe donor area.  While I do understand that it may be necessary to take some grafts outside the safe zone, if you look at the photo I posted after I removed the bandage, it appears that they went pretty high up.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Photo 1:  Pre-surgery

Photo 2: Two days after surgery.

Photo 3: 10 weeks post-op

20220926_153637.jpg

IMG_6325.jpg

IMG_6577.jpg

• Administrators

Watch this

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, asterix0 said:

It likely is over harvested, that post op doesn't look so good.

People will ask what clinic you went to, I hope you went to a reputable clinic and not a hair mill, but I doubt that is the case unfortunately. 

Thanks for your feedback and honest opinion.  I have a follow-up with the clinic in the summer and will let you know the clinic name after the appointment.  I chose the clinic because it had many favorable reviews on Google.  Hopefully things will improve a little bit in the months to come.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, AsianCanadian said:

Thanks for your feedback and honest opinion.  I have a follow-up with the clinic in the summer and will let you know the clinic name after the appointment.  I chose the clinic because it had many favorable reviews on Google.

Anyone can write a review on google. A lot of reviews are also right after surgery. You can have a pleasant experience and receive bad results. The reviews you should look at are here.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

43 minutes ago, AsianCanadian said:

Thanks for your feedback and honest opinion.  I have a follow-up with the clinic in the summer and will let you know the clinic name after the appointment.  I chose the clinic because it had many favorable reviews on Google.  Hopefully things will improve a little bit in the months to come.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say the grafts were taken with sufficient gaps and so with 3k grafts I think it's shock loss and will grow back.

Are you on any medication?

5 minutes ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

I'm going to go against the grain here and say the grafts were taken with sufficient gaps and so with 3k grafts I think it's shock loss and will grow back.

Are you on any medication?

Thanks for saying that.  I guess only time will tell at this point.  I am taking 5% Minoxidil but no finasteride.  I'm also using 2% Nizoral twice a week and saw palmetto although I know the benefits may be minimal.

36 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Anyone can write a review on google. A lot of reviews are also right after surgery. You can have a pleasant experience and receive bad results. The reviews you should look at are here.

I wish I had found this forum before I got the HT. I will keep you posted in the weeks and months to come.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AsianCanadian said:

Hello community,

I'm 53 years old and had a 3026 graft HT ten weeks ago and my donor area seems a little patchy still.  Could it be overharvested?  I also noticed that many grafts were taken from the unsafe donor area.  While I do understand that it may be necessary to take some grafts outside the safe zone, if you look at the photo I posted after I removed the bandage, it appears that they went pretty high up.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Photo 1:  Pre-surgery

Photo 2: Two days after surgery.

Photo 3: 10 weeks post-op

20220926_153637.jpg

IMG_6325.jpg

IMG_6577.jpg

If you zoom in the prop op photo you can still see some gaps even if it’s too dark.
The lighting is different on each photo. In the pre op photo the light is low while the post op photo is more bright. With more light in the post op photo it’s logical for the donor to look less dense. 

12 hours ago, AsianCanadian said:

Thanks for saying that.  I guess only time will tell at this point. 

Unfortunately so. It'll be 6 months before you can make a relatively accurate judgement.

I'd echo what others have said - finesteride will help your hair generally, if you can tolerate it. If it is shock loss it may indicate extensive miniaturisation. Fin will help reverse that.

6 hours ago, Belve said:

If you zoom in the prop op photo you can still see some gaps even if it’s too dark.
The lighting is different on each photo. In the pre op photo the light is low while the post op photo is more bright. With more light in the post op photo it’s logical for the donor to look less dense. 

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, the pre-op photo is darker than the post-op.  My hair was thin back there before the operation to begin with, which i why I am concerned that they took too much from that area.  The area is much thinner now.

• Administrators

Watch this 

View my thread

i agree with marko to get on finasteride for the main reason that some of the hairs used for the ht were from the unsafe zone. looking at your pic from before the surgery i saw some hair loss in that region.

• Like 1