Dr. Ron Shapiro vs Dr. Raymond Konior

Hairtoday54

I have had work done by Dr. Shapiro - love him! But, I need more work in my crown and back of head. I have a lot of donor area left. Can anyone offer an informed opinion of who would be best for crown work? And cost per grafts charged by each doctor now?

Thanks!

• Administrators

Dr. Konior will tell you stick with Ron. You’re already in great hands, no need to change docs.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thats great you had good experience with DR.Shapiro and if I was you I would stick with him. 

In my opinion Dr.Konior design more aggressive hairline compare to Dr.Shapiro , While both doctors are top notch in U.S but Konior charges almost double compare to  DR.Shapiro.

I personally saw more natural hairline design from DR.Shapiro compare to Konior and I haven't convince yet why I should pay double of the price to DR.konior when I can chose DR.Shapiro which is the most reputable surgeon in U.S .  I prefer to do not go to pricing in this post but if you get quote from both doctors you will see huge difference. 

Thank you! I love Dr. Shapiro - he did a great job, as I said. I only considered Dr. K because of many comments regarding his excellent crown work (all I need now to complete my journey). 
I plan to continue with Ron - thanks to input from you, and others. 
Thanks again!

7 hours ago, Hairtoday54 said:

Thank you! I love Dr. Shapiro - he did a great job, as I said. I only considered Dr. K because of many comments regarding his excellent crown work (all I need now to complete my journey). 
I plan to continue with Ron - thanks to input from you, and others. 
Thanks again!

You are very welcome.

I do also have my surgery scheduled with DR.Ron in September and it will be my first hair transplant. 

Best

5 hours ago, Hairtoday54 said:

You will love him - and his entire staff! He is one of the most congenial, patient, down to earth doctors I have met. And very skilled.

I had in person consultation with him , I totally agree with you , He is very humble and easy to talk which even made me surprise , I wrote a write up on forum in a case if you like to look :

• Valued Contributor

So what is your surgical plan..can you explain that plz and if you can than please post your pic so evryone can understand your situation properly ...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

My plan ultimately is to visit Dr. Shapiro and have my head shaved (I have never done this before) and allow him to do FUE. What I haven't said before is, 25 years ago I had two hair flaps done in California. It was "the state of the art" then – but certainly not perfect. That said, I probably got as "perfect" of a result as one could have hoped for. I have one photo of my hairline when I was about 31… And my hair had not fully receded… It got worse by the time I had my first flap in 1997. The picture is from about December 1991. I will also add several photos of my hairline after the flaps. Dr. Shapiro did some work on me - a couple of FUT's…2016, I think. He was working on the crown  then. 4400 total graphs I think. Between two procedures. I have one photo of the crown before he started, and then one after – but at  about five months only. Hope this adds clarity. I don't plan to see him until I completely retire from my job. Which will probably be in about a year and a half. The FUTs, and flaps left some not so pleasant scars. I don't want to have to go anywhere I can't wear a hat, for about 3 - 6 months after the procedure! Oh - one thing that is unique about my situation is, he will not only be able to draw gtafts from the back of my head - but from both of the flaps on top of my head! That will about double my potential!

0E9AC778-D6D7-485B-BAE8-9530C99DB9D0.jpeg

18AA016C-59B7-4F35-AF72-AC3DAB2D168E.jpeg

921387D7-9298-4389-BF60-6EA7B9F6C4F1.jpeg

9A4C67EC-540F-498F-B564-9868C0262CB2.jpeg

09F7A8AD-C2F1-438A-9900-0EABDA9583E6.jpeg

E8CC090F-5BEC-4E0B-B36B-2320515C4C41.jpeg

BA45F81D-DB7C-4E2D-810E-87B86181DBAE.jpeg

9826B7F2-352D-4458-8849-9A9B8FB62324.jpeg

9E68A6B7-72A6-4446-95A5-F7333342B947.jpeg

Edited by Hairtoday54
  • Like 2

• Valued Contributor

Thnks for the pics....you have chosen a good doctor ....excited to follow your journey ...never seen flap situation cases earlier....so whats the date of your surgery ? And best of luck...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

4 hours ago, Archan said:

Thnks for the pics....you have chosen a good doctor ....excited to follow your journey ...never seen flap situation cases earlier....so whats the date of your surgery ? And best of luck...

Archan, probably not until January of 2025. A ways off!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rafael Manelli said:

Wow. As far as flaps so, you got a homerun. That's fascinating. Will be a great case study if you choose to share with HD pics and video. 

Rafael, I'm over 1 1/2 years away from having my (hopefully) final procedure (waiting to be retired!), but I would be glad to do video & pics.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your pics , I have never seen any case of flap before this , Just as a friendly note , Nowadays , DR.Shapiro is fully booked for one year which wasn't the case before Covid , I know you like to have it on 2025 but you may want to consider the waiting time in order to schedule your consultation.

Best of Luck. 

4 hours ago, Dillpickle123 said:

You should look into getting your fut and flap scars covered with beard grafts 

Thanks for the advice. But I actually never wear my hair short enough that they're noticeable. However, how do beard grafts grow in? I always imagine them being stiffer and less easy to groom  than regular hair

3 hours ago, parsia said:

Thank you for your pics , I have never seen any case of flap before this , Just as a friendly note , Nowadays , DR.Shapiro is fully booked for one year which wasn't the case before Covid , I know you like to have it on 2025 but you may want to consider the waiting time in order to schedule your consultation.

Best of Luck. 

Good advice! We have a pretty good relationship, and I could probably just FaceTime with him for the consultation. He seen me two or three different times. So he knows what he's working with. Thanks!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hairtoday54 said:

Thanks for the advice. But I actually never wear my hair short enough that they're noticeable. However, how do beard grafts grow in? I always imagine them being stiffer and less easy to groom  than regular hair

You're very welcome. I was thinking the same about the beard grafts , But I figured these days many doctors including Dr.Shapiro using that with great result , I haven't deeply research about beard graft . Melvin who posted on your thread did that on his last transplant , You can ask him as well.

42 minutes ago, Hairtoday54 said:

I know that @Gatsby had beard grafts placed into his scars so he would be able to answer that 

49 minutes ago, parsia said:

You're very welcome. I was thinking the same about the beard grafts , But I figured these days many doctors including Dr.Shapiro using that with great result , I haven't deeply research about beard graft . Melvin who posted on your thread did that on his last transplant , You can ask him as well.

I'll do that!

On 2/15/2023 at 10:20 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Dr. Konior will tell you stick with Ron. You’re already in great hands, no need to change docs.

Hello Melvin. It was stated that you had beard hair transplanted into your scalp… I've always thought that beard hair would grow in stiffer and would not be as manageable as regular hair. What is your experience?

Thanks!

• Valued Contributor

I've recently had 236 beard grafts placed into old punch graft scars and repair scars in the donor region. A bit over a year ago I had 232 pubic grafts that weren't really doing anything (lol) and so I had them transplanted in to the same scars. Probably one of the important things about having grafts transplanted into scars is that it will vascularize the area and introduce a blood supply via the graft. Dr Sethi said that all of the previous pubic grafts grew, although they remain in the anagen phase much shorter than scalp hair (the same with beard hair). I'm just over one month post op and I can feel that nearly all of the beard grafts in the donor scars have shed. However I'm confident that when they return they will make a significant aesthetic difference to the point that I could wear my hair short. That's the plan anyway. I hope this helps. All the best! 👍