giving blood before a hair transplant

No problem.

The only problem WOULD BE, if you are on Finasteride/Dutasteride, or any other drug that affects DHT in your blood serum level.

These drugs could be transferred to the party receiving the blood transfusion, which may be a pregnant woman or a child.

YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL ABOUT THIS!!

ADVISE THE HEALTH CARE PROVIDER ASSISTING YOU IN THE BLOOD DONATION!

take care...

mmhce,

Thats a good point. But doesnt Finasteride only stay in your system for a short time (a day or two) before it is naturally flushed, or does the fact that the blood is external from your body eliminate this process?

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

The half-life of finasteride is about 4 and 1/2 hours.

The half-life of the enzyme after long term exposure to finasteride is approximately 30

days.

Like I said, this question has serious medical implications and a qualified physician should answer a question like this.

Transferring body fluids is a bio-hazardous process and needs strict quality control.

take care...

Originally posted by mmhce:

No problem.

The only problem WOULD BE, if you are on Finasteride/Dutasteride, or any other drug that affects DHT in your blood serum level.

These drugs could be transferred to the party receiving the blood transfusion, which may be a pregnant woman or a child.

YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL ABOUT THIS!!

ADVISE THE HEALTH CARE PROVIDER ASSISTING YOU IN THE BLOOD DONATION!

SOME GOOD AND IMPORTANT POINTS THERE MMHCE!!!

mmhce,

I always enjoy reading your posts regarding drugs and medical implications. You appear to have extensive knowledge of hair loss drugs in particular, how they work, and how the interact chemically in the body.

Are you a chemist, biologist, etc? What do you do for a living?

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by mmhce:

The half-life of finasteride is about 4 and 1/2 hours.

The half-life of the enzyme after long term exposure to finasteride is approximately 30

days.

Like I said, this question has serious medical implications and a qualified physician should answer a question like this.

Transferring body fluids is a bio-hazardous process and needs strict quality control.

I'm assuming that a study was done that you claiming such thing but if that's not the case.There should be a study done regarding this. Instead of taking finateride daily, maybe taking fin a few day a month should be enough. But of course even if it did, it wouldn't let be known.

combatinghairloss,

I understand what you are getting at, however, I do not think, the intention of finasteride (just like any other drug) is for intermittent administration. For efficacy of the drug, DHT must be consistently suppressed and not allowed to spike up and down. Just like any other drug, it is prescribed as indicated and must run A course until its validity/usefullness has been fulfilled.

You do so until the physician determines that it is appropriate to move to a higher level of drug potentcy (in this case dutasteride).

You're right about another thing though. There are very many layers of security concerning scientific data and patents.

take care...

We would have no problem with normal blood donation immediately prior to a case.

If we lose more than 15cc of blood (1 tablespoon) during strip harvest, it is unusual. Perhaps the worst I have ever had is 4 tablespoons of blood loss.

I am much more uptight about smoking, vitamins, green tea, aspirin, and advil for 10 days preop; than a little blood donation.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians