2 Years and 2 Months - Dr Saifi, 2,040 FUE Grafts

Rossybop

Hi guys,

Just a random update. Had 2,040 grafts transplanted to the hairline and mid-scalp with Dr Saifi (FUE) in December 2020.

I'm now aged 32. Been on fin for 2.5 years now (1.25mg 5 - 7 days a week). Regaine just over 2 years, once daily or thereabouts.

Hair seems to be holding up well although every now and again I'll notice a good few hairs coming out when I'm massaging Regaine in at night.

The left side of the transplant has always been a bit thinner than the right, but generally it looks natural almost any way I style it. If I pull it this way or that way, or scrutinise it under harsh lights, I can see the discrepancy in the transplanted hairs, but I believe that's natural. I change my styles every now and again, have worn it short and long, up and down. I don't feel the need to add more density as I'm generally happy enough with it as it is.

I'm hoping I get a good few years out of it and that I'll be able to avoid more transplants for at least a few good years.

20230131_220103.jpg

20230131_220213.jpg

20230131_220122.jpg

20230131_220249.jpg

20230131_220253.jpg

20230131_220254.jpg

20230131_220251.jpg

20230131_220314.jpg

20230131_220316.jpg

20230131_220317.jpg

Edited by Rossybop

Nice hearing from you @Rossybop. The last post I read from you (it must have been months and months ago) you were worried that a significant amount of your native hair had fallen out, and the new transplant hair could not conceal or account for the native loss. 

Did this turn out to be a non-issue? I wonder if perhaps you just had a random heavy temporary shed due to Fin or something. 

Regardless, I am glad that apparently is no longer a concern. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Didn’t you create a thread a while back saying you were unhappy?

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

The answer to both questions is YES I did post a thread a while ago saying I was worried about the transplant thinning.

I had been relentlessly pulling it to one side and scrutinising it under harsh lights. I went through a period of immense worry, the way the sun was hitting it through my bedroom window in the summer time made it look sparser. 

I went to HRBR in Dublin for a check up and under their detailed camera I was able to see that the transplant was still strong, so I stopped worrying about it.

Don't get me wrong, my transplant is not perfect, no transplant is, but for the time being I am going to leave it as it is.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
Just now, Rossybop said:

The answer to both questions is YES I did post a thread a while ago saying I was worried about the transplant thinning.

I had been relentlessly pulling it to one side and scrutinising it under harsh lights. I went through a period of immense worry, the way the sun was hitting it through my bedroom window in the summer time made it look sparser. 

I went to HRBR in Dublin for a check up and under their detailed camera I was able to see that the transplant was still strong, so I stopped worrying about it.

Don't get me wrong, my transplant is not perfect, no transplant is, but for the time being I am going to leave it as it is.

I'm glad you responded. I think that many are in a similar situation, shedding doesn't equal balding. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 12:11 AM, Carla said:

When you say you can notice some discrepancies, can you elaborate please? I’m a female looking for a repair so already feeling very nervous about choosing the right surgeon.. 

Hi...the transplanted hair never looked the same as my native hair, when looked at closely, especially under harsh lights. It always looked thinner and not 100% natural when harshly scrutinised.

I can tell you now though, almost 3 years out from the surgery. I need another transplant. Its looking weak and not nearly half as good as it did 18 months ago.

I now take dutasteride and my hair loss has finally stopped again, but the transplanted areas look weak, especially the left hand side. I can't style my hair with full flexibility any more. I personally believe that a lot of my transplanted hair fell out over the past 2 years.

8 hours ago, Rossybop said:

Hi...the transplanted hair never looked the same as my native hair, when looked at closely, especially under harsh lights. It always looked thinner and not 100% natural when harshly scrutinised.

I can tell you now though, almost 3 years out from the surgery. I need another transplant. Its looking weak and not nearly half as good as it did 18 months ago.

I now take dutasteride and my hair loss has finally stopped again, but the transplanted areas look weak, especially the left hand side. I can't style my hair with full flexibility any more. I personally believe that a lot of my transplanted hair fell out over the past 2 years.

@Rossybop That’s crazy to think you feel it may have fallen out over the past 2 years, I mean I didn’t know that could even happen? Once it’s implanted it’s implanted forever? 

4 hours ago, Carla said:

@Rossybop That’s crazy to think you feel it may have fallen out over the past 2 years, I mean I didn’t know that could even happen? Once it’s implanted it’s implanted forever? 

Nothing in life is a guarantee except death and taxes :/ ...I've certainly not lost all of it. But I feel like a good bit of it has thinned out. It could be that lots of native hairs surrounding the transplanted hairs have fallen out, but honestly to me it seems like the transplant has weaked a little bit, more so on the left side than the right side.

I'm booking a 2nd transplant. I expect the 2nd transplant to be a lot smaller than the first transplant because I don't shouldn't need so many grafts this time.

On 10/2/2023 at 1:22 PM, Rossybop said:

Nothing in life is a guarantee except death and taxes :/ ...I've certainly not lost all of it. But I feel like a good bit of it has thinned out. It could be that lots of native hairs surrounding the transplanted hairs have fallen out, but honestly to me it seems like the transplant has weaked a little bit, more so on the left side than the right side.

I'm booking a 2nd transplant. I expect the 2nd transplant to be a lot smaller than the first transplant because I don't shouldn't need so many grafts this time.

@Rossybop you couldn't have put it better! Ok I wish you all the best of luck, are you going back to Dr Saifi for your 2nd procedure?

2 hours ago, Carla said:

@Rossybop you couldn't have put it better! Ok I wish you all the best of luck, are you going back to Dr Saifi for your 2nd procedure?

Thanks. Yes I will go back to Saifi. I'm hopeful that a touch-up should bring me back to a solid result and that it will keep everything in place for the foreseeable future. My hair loss is now totally stabilised since starting dutatseride so risk of further thinning should be somewhat low. Also Saifi told me on the first occasion that it is not unusual for patients to get a touch 1-2 years after their first procedure, he says a second transplant is often required to give excellent density.

I believe he did a good job the first time, I have a feeling my further hair loss since the first treatment was probably my own genes initiating more hair loss.

• Like 1