What’s the biggest scam these days?

What in your opinion are the biggest hair restoration scams or ineffective treatments these days? I keep seeing people talk about saw palmetto, laser caps, exosomes, various shampoos and supplements. I’m quite sceptical of the efficacy of anything that isn’t fin/dut. But I’m curious what you think.

Exosomes were a fun one, especially as clinics were charging thousands, and I mean thousands of dollars for them.

There was even a Dr who works alongside Di Muzio who went on YouTube covered in toppik, and claimed it was regrowth from his exosomes treatment 😅 

5 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Exosomes were a fun one, especially as clinics were charging thousands, and I mean thousands of dollars for them.

There was even a Dr who works alongside Di Muzio who went on YouTube covered in toppik, and claimed it was regrowth from his exosomes treatment 😅 

For real? That’s insane. Can you link the video? 

The quick head nod down and back up again? Come on - if that was genuine regrowth to the amount as to what the appearance suggests it to have been, they would be doing close ups, comb throughs, wet hair, harsh lighting, you name it. 

Second hand car salesman that guy 

• Moderators

Look at what I found on Facebook. It's @Bobman's photos with an ad for a company selling shampoo that they claim will regrow your hair. If their shampoo is so great then why do they need to lie and show pictures of a hair transplant? This stuff really bugs me because it makes people believe the stuff really works.

IMG_3709.thumb.jpg.e44d10ddf9940073a8ab4cfc4e96721b.jpg

Edited by BeHappy
  • Wow 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

8 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Look at what I found on Facebook. It's @Bobman's photos with an ad for a company selling shampoo that they claim will regrow your hair. If their shampoo is so great then why do they need to lie and show pictures of a hair transplant? This stuff really bugs me because it makes people believe the stuff really works.

Blatant false advertising, according to his profile it says:

Current Non-Surgical Treatment Regime

Propecia (Finasteride)” So He definitely hasn’t listed magical (BS) shampoo and conditioners 😂

7 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I wonder if they even have his permission to use those photos 

On 2/4/2023 at 6:48 AM, general-etwan said:
  • Laser caps
  • saw palmetto + anything other than finasteride or dutasteride that claims to lower DHT

Those are really the two biggest ones in my opinion.

Saw palmetto reduce dht it as been proved in research paper that studied it to fight again prostatic hypertrophy 

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) : ASCE+ HRLV AAPE for Hair secretomes + human Umbilical Chord Exosomes

16 hours ago, arthurSam said:

Saw palmetto reduce dht it as been proved in research paper that studied it to fight again prostatic hypertrophy 

I concede it may lower DHT, but the amount must be very low because it is certain that no one has stopped their genetic hair loss or regrown any visible amount of hair from taking saw palmetto alone. It’s essentially pointless and barely effective, if at all. 

On 2/5/2023 at 2:04 AM, Curious25 said:

The quick head nod down and back up again? Come on - if that was genuine regrowth to the amount as to what the appearance suggests it to have been, they would be doing close ups, comb throughs, wet hair, harsh lighting, you name it. 

Second hand car salesman that guy 

Lighting is such a big deal with hair progress pictures. This recent post on r/tressless shows just how big of a difference lighting conditions can make.