Concern: topical Minoxidil toxic to dogs

airporteffect

Hello all, I am at the very beginning of addressing my hair loss and have been prescribed the following:

(daily)
1 x Minoxidil 2.5mg oral tablet
1 x Minoxidil 5%/Finasteride 1%/Retinoic Acid 0.025% topical foam

I've read online that Minoxidil is extremely toxic to dogs and am concerned as my 85lb GSD sleeps in bed with me. I'm wondering what some of you have done to mitigate the chances of exposure?

• Administrators

Why are you still using topical if you're on oral minoxidil?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

48 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Why are you still using topical if you're on oral minoxidil?

Great question @Melvin- Moderator. I actually haven't started the topical foam yet (I am 6 days post transplant and must wait 10). I'm honestly not entirely sure why he has me on both modalities but I do know that the Minoxidil foam is the vehicle for the Finasteride compound — so that's why it is in there. I did clarify that my doc wanted me on both but I'll call tomorrow and get some more info on this. I'm not a huge fan of topicals, in general, but he seemed pretty opposed to prescribing oral Finasteride. I honestly may go to my GP and discuss Finasteride 1mg, 3 times a week.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, airporteffect said:

Great question @Melvin- Moderator. I actually haven't started the topical foam yet (I am 6 days post transplant and must wait 10). I'm honestly not entirely sure why he has me on both modalities but I do know that the Minoxidil foam is the vehicle for the Finasteride compound — so that's why it is in there. I did clarify that my doc wanted me on both but I'll call tomorrow and get some more info on this. I'm not a huge fan of topicals, in general, but he seemed pretty opposed to prescribing oral Finasteride. I honestly may go to my GP and discuss Finasteride 1mg, 3 times a week.

I don't see any reason why you should stay on the topical. In fact, you shouldn't even be on the topical version so soon after getting a hair transplant because it can be harsh on the scalp. When I was on the topical version I was off of it for 14 days.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 minute ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don't see any reason why you should stay on the topical. In fact, you shouldn't even be on the topical version so soon after getting a hair transplant because it can be harsh on the scalp. When I was on the topical version I was off of it for 14 days.

Interesting, my doc's guidelines were to discontinue using it for 10 days before and 10 days after the procedure (so just a difference of a few days). His rules, in general, seem a bit more relaxed than what I've seen elsewhere:

• Begin removing scabs day 8
  • OK to exercise after 10 days
  • OK to shave recipient area after 10 days

Definitely starting to feel like I maybe didn't make the best choice but I'm on the other side of the procedure now so there's not point in stressing. I'll give him a call tomorrow and update. If I don't like what he says, I will go to my GP and discuss oral Finasteride. My hair loss has been stable for years but I want to take every precaution now that I've had an FUE procedure.

7 minutes ago, 5BetaReductase said:

I’ve read it can be troublesome for cats but not sure about dogs. I’d def ask your prescribing physician or a vet

Pharmacist:

Had to look this up as she had never heard of it before.

Vet:

Said to be cautious. The dog sleeps in my bed so my concern is that the minoxidil might transfer from my head to pillow and she might lick it. The vet said just to put the pillow out of reach during the day.

I’m trying to figure out an application approach that will mitigate it as much as possible so I’m hoping to hear what others do.

I've spent a good bit of time looking into this as I have cats and supposedly it's far more toxic to cats than dogs.

Personally I use it only once per day, and always shampoo it out before going to bed. I use to only shampoo 2-3 times a week but now I do it 7 days a week. People say that's not great for hair but tbh I don't think it really matters, and if it does it's negligible. I've gotten great results from using once a day, but perhaps twice is better. The argument for once being enough basically has to do with Minoxidil's half life making it so twice per day isn't really necessary. 

I apply in a bathroom the cats have no access to and use vinyl gloves when I apply it then I then throw away. I then wash my hands thoroughly and try to avoid the cats a bit while it's drying. Overall though I would say as long as you take basic precautions you should be fine. About 4-5 months into using it I noticed my cat acting lethargic and almost sick, but I think it was something else entirely and he seems totally fine now. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli
  • Thanks 1